• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am on SSI/SSDI and have direct deposit do I need to do anything to get my stimulus?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Hang in there. Those who are receiving stimulus dollars based on SSA direct deposit data could be near the last on the list of recipients - for no reason that I have been able to discern.

quincy

I am sorry that you have been waiting with bated breath for a deposit that is not going to come. The IRS site has flaws but you should have been able to determine your eligibility from the information the IRS provided on their site.

Sorry, DisabledGeek.

PayrollHRGuy

And it surprises me that there hasn't been any press coverage on this issue.

An adult child that is not capable of living alone because of a disability NO CHECK.
An adult capable of working and chooses not to $1200.

quincy

And it surprises me that there hasn't been any press coverage on this issue.

An adult child that is not capable of living alone because of a disability NO CHECK.
An adult capable of working and chooses not to $1200.
Some adults who choose not to work do so because of the health risk, to themselves or to the vulnerable living in their households.

The person who claimed DisabledGeek as a dependent should receive an additional $500 in stimulus money.

PayrollHRGuy

Some adults who choose not to work do so because of the health risk, to themselves or to the vulnerable living in their households.

The person who claimed DisabledGeek as a dependent should receive an additional $500 in stimulus money.
I'm not talking about those that have decided not to work because of the virus. I'm talking about those that have done so as a life choice.

And you are incorrect that the person that claims and adult child as a dependant gets the $500, they don't. Only children 17 and younger qualify for it.

quincy

I'm not talking about those that have decided not to work because of the virus. I'm talking about those that have done so as a life choice.

And you are incorrect that the person that claims and adult child as a dependant gets the $500, they don't. Only children 17 and younger qualify for it.
The IRS site doesn’t make the $500 clear. It says those who claim dependents are eligible for the additional money.

For comments about the $1200 being disbursed to non-working adults, let’s leave discussion of that to a different section of the forum.

PayrollHRGuy

The IRS site doesn’t make the $500 clear. It says those who claim dependents are eligible for the additional money.

For comments about the $1200 being disbursed to non-working adults, let’s leave discussion of that to a different section of the forum.
I'm not really concerned about those that don't work and get the checks.

My problem is with the fact that parents who didn't kick their disabled kids out once they turned 18 don't.

quincy

I'm not really concerned about those that don't work and get the checks.

My problem is with the fact that parents who didn't kick their disabled kids out once they turned 18 don't.
I guess I haven’t researched all of the eligibility requirements. I am sure there were some who should have been included who weren’t and some who should not have been included who were.

This was not a perfect plan by any measure.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/748/text

It states that the $500 is for "...qualifying children (within the meaning of section 24(c)) of the taxpayer."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/24

(c) Qualifying childFor purposes of this section—
(1)In general
The term "qualifying child" means a qualifying child of the taxpayer (as defined in section 152(c)) who has not attained age 17.

So, yes, the bill itself makes it clear that the $500 payment is for dependent children who are 16 and younger (although, the exact date used to determine the age isn't clear).

quincy

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/748/text

It states that the $500 is for "...qualifying children (within the meaning of section 24(c)) of the taxpayer."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/24

(c) Qualifying childFor purposes of this section—
(1)In general
The term "qualifying child" means a qualifying child of the taxpayer (as defined in section 152(c)) who has not attained age 17.

So, yes, the bill itself makes it clear that the $500 payment is for dependent children who are 16 and younger (although, the exact date used to determine the age isn't clear).
That’s too bad. I wonder if that was an oversight or an intentional exclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">