• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am on SSI/SSDI and have direct deposit do I need to do anything to get my stimulus?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PayrollHRGuy

I'd like to research more. Where did you get the information that it was intentional?

The primary purpose was to dump money into the economy. They could have flown over and dropped C-Notes over the country and had the same effect.

I want to know which critter was responsible for making a decision to specifically leave out disabled young adults.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm not really concerned about those that don't work and get the checks.

My problem is with the fact that parents who didn't kick their disabled kids out once they turned 18 don't.
They (the parents) are getting the benefits of the child being a dependent...

quincy

I am convinced it was an oversight. The bill was rushed through and not all of its errors and omissions were caught.

I can’t imagine any “trade off” where disabled adult dependents would be a bargaining chip.

PayrollHRGuy

They (the parents) are getting the benefits of the child being a dependent...
None of the other groups that received the funds gave up anything. The same child born a month before would not only get the parents $500 but also a $2000 tax deduction.

quincy

Yes, but the child received nothing.
Right. But the $500 went to the one claiming the child as a dependent. There is no loss of child care credits, etc. The money is provided without having to give up anything. The stimulus funds are no-strings-attached funds.

LdiJ

I'd like to research more. Where did you get the information that it was intentional?

The primary purpose was to dump money into the economy. They could have flown over and dropped C-Notes over the country and had the same effect.

I want to know which critter was responsible for making a decision to specifically leave out disabled young adults.
They didn't make a decision to leave out disabled young adults. They made a decision to leave out all dependents over age 16. It just so happens that disabled adult dependents happen to fall in that category as well. If you read the act its clear. I am quite sure that had the parents of this young person had any idea when they did their tax return that the coronavirus would become a crisis and the government would issue stimulus payments and not include adult dependents I am sure that they would not have claimed their disabled adult child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">