• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statue of limitations regarding police investigation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Biomajorlel

Can a police officer obtain a warrant or conduct an investigation for a misdemeanor that occurred six years ago and the statue of limitation has been up for four years now?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you are being investigated for a crime then you should speak (only) to an attorney who has established an attorney/client relationship with you.

B

Biomajorlel

Why did you ask me for which us state if you were just going to give me a non specific answer?

B

Biomajorlel

Yes this misdemeanor falls within the two year statue of limitation. Does that mean no investigation can be conducted?

Zigner

Why did you ask me for which us state if you were just going to give me a non specific answer?
Because things might be different if you were not in the US.
You need to speak to an attorney about the matter and you need to NOT speak to anyone else about the matter.

Zigner

Yes this misdemeanor falls within the two year statue of limitation. Does that mean no investigation can be conducted?
It depends - you ought to ask the attorney that you establish an attorney/client relationship with. That attorney can look at all the facts to see if your matter has some sort of exception that is revealed once all the facts are known.

PayrollHRGuy

You wrote elsewhere.

Is it considered impersonation if I used a different date of birth, arbitrary profile picture, and only used the individuals first name and only half of his last name?
If the impersonation has been ongoing the crime, if there is one, is still or was still going on.

Zigner

And, just to educate you a little: It is the statute of limitations, not the statue of limitations. A statute is a law. A statue is a piece of art that is created.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Can a police officer obtain a warrant or conduct an investigation for a misdemeanor that occurred six years ago and the statue of limitation has been up for four years now?
The police officer could not get a warrant. But the officer could waste his/her time doing an investigation that does not require anything from the court. But since prosecution for a crime that is past the statute of limitations (SOL) would would be impossible no sane cop would bother.

Just understand one key thing: the SOL generally stops running while the suspect is outside the state. So if a suspect leaves the state before the SOL is up, the police and prosecutors could pursue that for as long as they want until the suspect returns to that state.

quincy

Have you been in New York the whole time since the time of the offense? Were charges ever filed against you?

B

Biomajorlel

I’m asking on behalf of another individual. Yes he has been in the New York since the time of the offense and charges were never filed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">