• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statue of limitations regarding police investigation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingRon

It's also possible that investigating time-barred crimes isn't a waste of time if they believe such investigation would lead to discovery of other more recent criminal activity or to contemporaneous crimes that aren't time-barred.

quincy

I’m asking on behalf of another individual. Yes he has been in the New York since the time of the offense and charges were never filed
Thank you for answering my questions.

Nothing prevents a law enforcement agency from continuing an investigation.

B

Biomajorlel

Thank you for answering my questions.

Nothing prevents a law enforcement agency from continuing an investigation.
Thanks for your answer!

I understand that nothing can prevent law enforcement from conducting an investigation but is it possible for them to obtain a warrant?

quincy

Thanks for your answer!

I understand that nothing can prevent law enforcement from conducting an investigation but is it possible for them to obtain a warrant?
There would need to be a legitimate reason for any warrant to be issued.

B

Biomajorlel

It's also possible that investigating time-barred crimes isn't a waste of time if they believe such investigation would lead to discovery of other more recent criminal activity or to contemporaneous crimes that aren't time-barred.
Thank you for your answer!
I didn’t think of it like that. But is there enough probable cause for them to obtain a warrant if there is no evidence of any other recent criminal activity or contemporaneous crime?

quincy

Thank you for your answer!
I didn’t think of it like that. But is there enough probable cause for them to obtain a warrant if there is no evidence of any other recent criminal activity or contemporaneous crime?
Yes. A warrant can be issued after the statute of limitations period has passed for prosecution on the original crime. But there would need to be a legitimate reason for the warrant.

For example, current online activity potentially could support the issuance of a warrant.

quincy

You asked in your other thread: “Is it considered impersonation if I used a different date of birth, arbitrary profile picture, and only used the individual’s first name and only half of his last name?”

What you describe is not necessarily criminal impersonation. For example, there are numerous parody postings where a real name/real individual is imitated to humorous effect.

Intent matters.

B

Biomajorlel

You asked in your other thread: “Is it considered impersonation if I used a different date of birth, arbitrary profile picture, and only used the individual’s first name and only half of his last name?”

What you describe is not necessarily criminal impersonation. For example, there are numerous parody postings where a real name/real individual is imitated to humorous effect.

Intent matters.
Thank you,
But is it even possible for my friend to get in trouble if the only thing that was being used was the name and it wasn’t even his full name? Like doesn’t impersonation have to be more specific than that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">