• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lowes Water Damage, which way to proceed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ALawyer

Report the damage to your homeowners insurer and Lowes. You want it repaired and make like new. IF there was as much damage as you say, it's hard to believe that quality repairs could be made for less than the deductible unless you had a VERY high deductible.

quincy

Report the damage to your homeowners insurer and Lowes. You want it repaired and make like new. IF there was as much damage as you say, it's hard to believe that quality repairs could be made for less than the deductible unless you had a VERY high deductible.
The estimate is around $2000. Lowes already has assigned an adjuster to evaluate the claim.

quincy is correct. The original estimate was significantly lower than our deductible.

EDITING my previous post

I was able to speak to the claims examiner today. Will have an adjusted come take a look, they will call me in a couple days to schedule their visit. Lowes will try to recoup from Whirlpool. I can pay and be later reimbursed or wait for their check after an agreed price has been reached. Given my time urgency and the liability with my elderly relatives walking around the house with a hole in our floor, I will likely pay up front and then be compensated. The person did say if we do all the work before their adjuster looks at it then they wouldn't pay.

Last edited:

quincy

quincy is correct. The original estimate was significantly lower than our deductible.

EDITING my previous post

I was able to speak to the claims examiner today. Will have an adjusted come take a look, they will call me in a couple days to schedule their visit. Lowes will try to recoup from Whirlpool. I can pay and be later reimbursed or wait for their check after an agreed price has been reached. Given my time urgency and the liability with my elderly relatives walking around the house with a hole in our floor, I will likely pay up front and then be compensated. The person did say if we do all the work before their adjuster looks at it then they wouldn't pay.
Thank you for the update, lord_helmet. The delay by Lowes in having the adjuster out to evaluate the damage seems inexcusable. If you have the work done early, make sure you get detailed receipts.

Good luck.

Sounds like we will get money paid to us from Lowes, the question is when will they issue the check and for how much. Our repair will also be more expensive than originally estimated. They're doing their own estimation for the settlement based on what the adjuster is putting together right now. Not sure what numbers they are working out. Hope to hear more details a week from now. I will likely start the reconstruction out of pocket and take the money they give me. With the rebuild already underway and I can push back if the initial amount doesn't cover all costs.

quincy

I am happy to hear that the adjuster from Lowes has been out to assess the damage and that Lowes is intending to pay. I hope the settlement offer from Lowes covers all your costs so you don’t have to waste any time negotiating.

Thanks for this latest update, lord_helmet.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'd just like to point out that people oftentimes think that everyone (especially big companies) is out to screw them over. The reality is that many more things go as they "should" and that you don't hear about those things. We think the worst because that's all we ever hear about.

I'm glad this is working out for you, lord_helmet.

quincy

I'd just like to point out that people oftentimes think that everyone (especially big companies) is out to screw them over. The reality is that many more things go as they "should" and that you don't hear about those things. We think the worst because that's all we ever hear about.

I'm glad this is working out for you, lord_helmet.
We need to hear what figure Lowes comes up with before applauding :) but, so far at least, Lowes seems to be taking the claim seriously, which is a good sign.

Lowes never fails to disappoint. Turns out that what the adjuster told me was contradicted by the claims examiner. Lowes is just forwarding to Whirlpool their findings and report. They expect Whirlpool to compensate us directly. As of today I have no update from anybody, no timelines for compensation or settlement amount. Lowes said they would compensate us if "Whirlpool doesn't handle the claim", yet they haven't said what is the criteria for Whirlpool not handling it... right now I have no idea whatsoever how long it will take to get our funds. The Lowes guy doesn't answer his phone nor does he reply to all emails. Our repairs are also higher than what we originally anticipated.

Shouldn't Lowes settle with us and then sort things out with Whirlpool on the back end? My claim with Lowes after all. Not sure how long I should wait before pursuing some time of legal action if things don't move forward.

quincy

Lowes never fails to disappoint. Turns out that what the adjuster told me was contradicted by the claims examiner. Lowes is just forwarding to Whirlpool their findings and report. They expect Whirlpool to compensate us directly. As of today I have no update from anybody, no timelines for compensation or settlement amount. Lowes said they would compensate us if "Whirlpool doesn't handle the claim", yet they haven't said what is the criteria for Whirlpool not handling it... right now I have no idea whatsoever how long it will take to get our funds. The Lowes guy doesn't answer his phone nor does he reply to all emails. Our repairs are also higher than what we originally anticipated.

Shouldn't Lowes settle with us and then sort things out with Whirlpool on the back end? My claim with Lowes after all. Not sure how long I should wait before pursuing some time of legal action if things don't move forward.
Yes. Lowes should settle with you and then Lowes should seek compensation from Whirlpool.

You might want to involve an attorney at this point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">