• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lookforward

As a GAL, I would state that status quo should remain until said time as there is a hearing to change things. Especially since there is no order. As a GAL, I would NOT be happy to hear petty squabbles especially when the parents live under the same roof. That tells me one parent needs a referee and can't handle an adult conversation about parenting.
i guess my question is that moving forward should i just agree to what my spouse says? Even if i have question or even if its unreasonable? I just dont want her to CC Gal on every little thing. I just dont want the GAL to feel like we cannot get along when clearly we can
Thanks

Lookforward

i guess my question is that moving forward should i just agree to what my spouse says till the GAL makes his finalizes his descision? Even if i have question or even if its unreasonable? I just dont want her to CC Gal on every little thing. I just dont want the GAL to feel like we cannot get along when clearly we can.

Thanks

LdiJ

i guess my question is that moving forward should i just agree to what my spouse says? Even if i have question or even if its unreasonable? I just dont want her to CC Gal on every little thing. I just dont want the GAL to feel like we cannot get along when clearly we can
Thanks
You should agree on anything that you actually agree about. You should look at what a judge is likely to think is reasonable as well. If the kids can go back to regular school that is something that a judge would probably think is reasonable if the children were in regular school pre-COVID-19.

Daycare? Well, that is more subjective. It really depends on whether or not you are truly able to keep the youngest occupied (particularly if the older children are back in school), and still be able to adequately do your job.

You have to look at each thing individually rather than a blanket "don't to anything until after the GAL has made their recommendation".

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thanks
Agree only if it is what you consider the best thing for the child. And the GAL is going to hold it against the person complaining about every little thing. If I have an issue with a parent as GAL , I tell them they are being unreasonable.

Lookforward

Guys i have a question. I am filling out financial intergotorries?
I have a couple of marital bank account and nonmarital.

I have one question regarding non marital account

In 2019 i transferred 10k from one of my nonmarital accounts into a marital account.
The same week i transferred the 10k to a different nonmarital account.

I can show the flow of the money transferred but wondering if i should kiss this 10k goodbye?
While talking to my lawyer i got the impression that as long as i can prove the flow i should be ok but just another opinion would help.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Kiss the 10k goodbye. You may very well have lost it. Because you comingled it. Between the time you transferred it, did you spend anything?

Lookforward

no just transferred it from one account to another. The only way to transfer was through a martial account (The marital account was not a joint account it was a personal account)
Thanks

Lookforward

I got the report from GAL I get 45% around 165 days or so
My lawyer is advising me to take it, she's telling me not to make it personal, and it's difficult to not make it personal since I am the primary care taker for the kids.

On the same hand, I have 2 kids and more stress on me and STBX means more stress on them. I have also realized that I am also being a little bit impatient. Twice, this week I kinda yelled at my daughter and immediately felt super bad.
I am just kind of lost and would appreciate anything

I read somewhere that you can put in your final GAL report what you can do to achieve that 50/50 target. I am wondering if someone has any thoughts on that?
Thanks

Lookforward

What is the 45% she is suggesting? And does that include holidays and such?
The GAL is suggesting the following
Week1 Tuesday Wednesday
Week2 Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
Summer split.
Major holidays will be split (At atleast last time i spoke with him)

This is it as of right now

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Other ways to increase your time... Offer to keep the kids overnight on one of her Friday/Saturday nights to "give her a break" a chance for an evening out, etc. Offer to keep the kids overnight at the end of your time and drop them off at school in the morning. Pick them up the evening before your time to save her needing to take them to school. Always offer as a way of helping her out. After building a pattern of the extra overnights (yes, you're playing a long game here), you can petition to adjust the time split based on status quo.

LdiJ

The GAL is suggesting the following
Week1 Tuesday Wednesday
Week2 Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
Summer split.
Major holidays will be split (At atleast last time i spoke with him)

This is it as of right now

It is standard for major holidays to be split in one fashion or another. So I don't think that you have to worry about not getting your fair share of the holidays. However, if you get creative with the holidays that helps.

A friend of mine (once her kids started getting married) switched her Thanksgiving to the Saturday after Thanksgiving and her Christmas to the Saturday after Christmas. She did that so that none of her kids had to deal with the hassle of deciding which family to spend those holidays with. When her kids started getting divorces, it worked out even better, because the ex-spouses were totally grateful that things didn't have to be split up and were totally cooperative with the kids being at her Christmas and Thanksgiving.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
A friend of mine (once her kids started getting married) switched her Thanksgiving to the Saturday after Thanksgiving and her Christmas to the Saturday after Christmas. She did that so that none of her kids had to deal with the hassle of deciding which family to spend those holidays with. When her kids started getting divorces, it worked out even better, because the ex-spouses were totally grateful that things didn't have to be split up and were totally cooperative with the kids being at her Christmas and Thanksgiving.
Similar to what I do. TDay is still the Saturday after, so the kids can spend the day with SOs. Christmas is in January. Same reason (partially). It's doable if you're not a hard-a$$.

LdiJ

Similar to what I do. TDay is still the Saturday after, so the kids can spend the day with SOs. Christmas is in January. Same reason (partially). It's doable if you're not a hard-a$$.
Not only is it doable, but it's just as enjoyable for everyone...maybe even more so, because it's more relaxed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">