• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lookforward

Other ways to increase your time... Offer to keep the kids overnight on one of her Friday/Saturday nights to "give her a break" a chance for an evening out, etc. Offer to keep the kids overnight at the end of your time and drop them off at school in the morning. Pick them up the evening before your time to save her needing to take them to school. Always offer as a way of helping her out. After building a pattern of the extra overnights (yes, you're playing a long game here), you can petition to adjust the time split based on status quo.
Stealth you read my mind exactly. I know exactly how things will play out here. Give some space to STBX listen to everything be polite and humble and ask down the road if i can keep them an extra day. if i can establish another day yes one year pass by and then i can make it official.

Lookforward

It is standard for major holidays to be split in one fashion or another. So I don't think that you have to worry about not getting your fair share of the holidays. However, if you get creative with the holidays that helps.

A friend of mine (once her kids started getting married) switched her Thanksgiving to the Saturday after Thanksgiving and her Christmas to the Saturday after Christmas. She did that so that none of her kids had to deal with the hassle of deciding which family to spend those holidays with. When her kids started getting divorces, it worked out even better, because the ex-spouses were totally grateful that things didn't have to be split up and were totally cooperative with the kids being at her Christmas and Thanksgiving.
So Technically speaking what you are saying is although i have 165 days i will also have another 5-6 days in holidays?
In the previous agreement this is what the GAL suggested i doubt this will change

Holidays: Parent agree that holidays schedule shall take precedence over the regular parenting schedule. If the parenting time on a holiday gave each parent three weekends in a row parents agree to switch the first or the 3rd weekend so each parent shall have 2 weekend in a row.

LdiJ

So Technically speaking what you are saying is although i have 165 days i will also have another 5-6 days in holidays?
In the previous agreement this is what the GAL suggested i doubt this will change
Not necessarily. Each year some of those holidays will fall on your regular days anyway, as some of them will for your ex as well. Over a two year period it will likely even out, timewise.

Holidays: Parent agree that holidays schedule shall take precedence over the regular parenting schedule. If the parenting time on a holiday gave each parent three weekends in a row parents agree to switch the first or the 3rd weekend so each parent shall have 2 weekend in a row.
In the long run, I think you will find that clause unworkable. Yes, it seems fair in theory, but when you are making long term plans for weekends (family occasions, weddings, vacations etc) I think that you will find that it is better to just let the occasional three weekends in a row happen, rather than muck up the regular schedule.

Lookforward

Sorry to continue with my drama but it seems like STBX is not happy with what the GAL said and wants to fight.
In the meantime, i can't take it anymore and i am done mentally,physically, and emotionally.

I want to sell our Marital home and it seems like she's ok to sell the home as well.

My question is related to divorce and the settlement of assets.
Once we sell the home and split the equity 50/50 are we in clear? Will this pop up again in the future in any court?

is there an end date on when the rest of the asset be split? I am talking about 401k, saving account, etc.
Curious if we both move and have our own job and still putting money in 401k will that still continues until the divorce is finalized?
Thanks

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Stealth you read my mind exactly. I know exactly how things will play out here. Give some space to STBX listen to everything be polite and humble and ask down the road if i can keep them an extra day. if i can establish another day yes one year pass by and then i can make it official.
Slow & steady wins the race. Also - become known at the school(s). Teachers LOVE when Dads get involved. Volunteer to help with any/all activities, volunteer to chaperone field trips, offer to help organize field days, etc... Get to know the office staff! Get involved with extracurriculars (and yes, Dads can get involved in girl scouts, too - you may need to become certified as a leader for certain activities). Go to all appointments possible. It all provides the opportunity for extra time but also builds relationships with adults who can/will vouch for you if the ex goes off the rails. Even more importantly, it shows the kids that you are fully invested in them. Hopefully Mom doesn't try to say otherwise, but nothing overrides experience in your children's minds. They will know the truth. And, perhaps most importantly, you are also building towards the relationship you want to have with your kids as adults. When they are grown and can vote with their feet? They will ideally walk between you and their Mom, equally. But if they don't? You want them walking with you.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Plus you can get marked-down Christmas candy. :giggle:
Because I worked retail, Thanksgiving - New Year was always crazy busy for me. Celebrating on January 7 (Russian Christmas, which we celebrate anyway), made it SO much more relaxing, plus sales! The kids and I would take a day the week after Christmas to do our shopping. They were off school, so they'd do the baking while I worked (with my Mom when they were little, on their own as they got older). Now that they're grown, we celebrate the w/e closest to the 7th.

It isn't the *day* you celebrate, it's the being together.

(I'll also share something I did wrt Christmas gifts, as the budget was limited... There would always be something that each kid wanted more than anything through the year that I said no to - too expensive, too loud, too "something"... But, somehow, every year, it was the *one* thing that Santa always knew to bring. They eventually figured out the truth of Santa and the truth of the gifts.)

Lookforward

Slow & steady wins the race. Also - become known at the school(s). Teachers LOVE when Dads get involved. Volunteer to help with any/all activities, volunteer to chaperone field trips, offer to help organize field days, etc... Get to know the office staff! Get involved with extracurriculars (and yes, Dads can get involved in girl scouts, too - you may need to become certified as a leader for certain activities). Go to all appointments possible. It all provides the opportunity for extra time but also builds relationships with adults who can/will vouch for you if the ex goes off the rails. Even more importantly, it shows the kids that you are fully invested in them. Hopefully Mom doesn't try to say otherwise, but nothing overrides experience in your children's minds. They will know the truth. And, perhaps most importantly, you are also building towards the relationship you want to have with your kids as adults. When they are grown and can vote with their feet? They will ideally walk between you and their Mom, equally. But if they don't? You want them walking with you.
Thanks Stealth these are some great point. I never thought about volunteering in School but sounds like a great idea. I will defi look into it.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Sorry to continue with my drama but it seems like STBX is not happy with what the GAL said and wants to fight.
In the meantime, i can't take it anymore and i am done mentally,physically, and emotionally.

I want to sell our Marital home and it seems like she's ok to sell the home as well.

Once we sell the home and split the equity 50/50 are we in clear? Will this pop up again in the future in any court?

is there an end date on when the rest of the asset be split? I am talking about 401k, saving account, etc.
Curious if we both move and have our own job and still putting money in 401k will that still continues until the divorce is finalized?
Thanks
Well... That's not a good attitude on her part.

That makes it easier for you to come across as the more reasonable and credible party.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Thanks
You better get a court order allowing you to sell the marital home and splitting the profits. If not, there can be issues.

Lookforward

Guys i have to fill intergotorries in divorce. I have a question on Foriegn Property.

I inherited from living mom a property overseas 2 years ago. I have called 3 separate realtors and a friend and they are off by 100-150K. How does the court look into valuating this property? I have proof that it was given to me and my sibling by my mom but where should I get the value?

I can put the value from the Tax document but that Valuation is far far less. That proof I can show I don't understand that if we went to the court how will they view it?

Thanks

LdiJ

Guys i have to fill intergotorries in divorce. I have a question on Foriegn Property.

I inherited from living mom a property overseas 2 years ago. I have called 3 separate realtors and a friend and they are off by 100-150K. How does the court look into valuating this property? I have proof that it was given to me and my sibling by my mom but where should I get the value?

I can put the value from the Tax document but that Valuation is far far less. That proof I can show I don't understand that if we went to the court how will they view it?

Thanks
You did not inherit that property if your mom is still living. It was simply a gift. However, in this instance a gift and an inheritance are handled the same way so it doesn't matter.

Put down what you believe is the fair market value of your share of the property. It isn't going to be relevant in the end, since that is separate property.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You did not inherit that property if your mom is still living. It was simply a gift. However, in this instance a gift and an inheritance are handled the same way so it doesn't matter.

Put down what you believe is the fair market value of your share of the property. It isn't going to be relevant in the end, since that is separate property.
Actually it can be relevant when it comes to alimony. Especially if OP wants to receive alimony. That property counts towards assets that OP has to live on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">