• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harveymixon

What is the name of your state? Ca, So my landlord where I rent a piece of property from has told the police that I'm squatting here..come find out he actually sublet me the property with owners permission....Now both of them are threatening to have the sheriff department show up throw me off property there been no court dates or notification is this legal I have signed lease and I was behind on rent but just caught him up back in June...I've been here over a year constantly being harassed he even ran over gat bc I closed it

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I understand that this is a difficult situation for you, but you didn't ask a question. How can we help?

zddoodah

you didn't ask a question.
He did. Unfortunately, it's a completely vague question buried in a block of barely punctuated text.

my landlord where I rent a piece of property from has told the police that I'm squatting here..come find out he actually sublet me the property with owners permission....Now both of them are threatening to have the sheriff department show up throw me off property there been no court dates or notification is this legal
Is what legal?

Nothing you described here is, per se, not legal. If you have a written lease and are current with rent, then you should be safe in terms of an immediate, forcible removal. However, if your lease is month-to-month, your landlord may be able to evict you at any time and without cause.

That said, and while a fully appreciate that "move" is a four-letter word (both literally and figuratively), it might behoove you to find somewhere else to live.

quincy

there is no end date left blank
So you were renting month-to-month. Is this typically an owner-occupied property that was leased temporarily while the owners were away?

I am trying to figure out why the owners and landlord used the word “squatting.”

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">