• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can’t put my kids in school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

My original understanding was that you had tried school channels already. Thank you for confirming.

Because school starts soon, you do not have the luxury of waiting around for the school to figure out the law. You need a lawyer to teach it to them.

Good luck.

Just Blue

OP told me that the cost per child is $400.00. This is outrageous and cost prohibitive for the working poor. Perhaps if NBC/CBS/ABC were to pay the school a little visit they would reevaluate their "policy".

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
OP told me that the cost per child is $400.00. This is outrageous and cost prohibitive for the working poor. Perhaps if NBC/CBS/ABC were to pay the school a little visit they would reevaluate their "policy".
Where? I just searched the thread for 400, and your post is the first one where it appears. Was this via PM? Why? Surely it is relevant to her situation as posted?

Just Blue

Where? I just searched the thread for 400, and your post is the first one where it appears. Was this via PM? Why? Surely it is relevant to her situation as posted?
Sent a p.m. asking what the cost was and OP p.m.'ed me with the cost.

quincy

The $400 is not a figure that is consistent with the 2018-2019 fee schedules published by the Illinois schools that I checked.

laurakaye

Long story short we are on hard times and my sons school will not register my kids unless I pay a registration fee. They have a fee waive but you have to pay first. Because I don’t have the money they said no?
I've read this entire thread; I'm confused (and alarmed).

Is this a correct synopsis of the situation?

The school won't register your son because you can't pay a fee that will be refunded if you are entitled to a waiver.
Have your children been enrolled or registered at this school before?

There are definitely exceptions if a family is:
  • experiencing homelessness
  • living here illegally
(But no exception for a US resident family who has fallen on hard times?)

If a kid isn't attending school, then the parent is in violation of the law.

Illinois law: If your children aren't attending school and you're not homeschooling them, Illinois requires they be in school. "The Illinois School Code’s compulsory enrollment law states that any child from age 7, until reaching age 17, who resides in Illinois must be enrolled and attend a public school in the district where the child lives, unless the child has graduated from high school, attends a private or parochial school or is physically or mentally unable to attend school."

https://www.isbe.net/Pages/School-Fee-Waivers.aspx
https://www.isbe.net/Documents/guidance_reg.pdf
http://www.wpcp.org/dnn/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=SDnxVMkyB_E=&tabid=216&mid=968&forcedownload=true

quincy

Read through this article: (also from 2013) $400.00 would not be inconsistent for multiple children in the districts mentioned there.

https://patch.com/illinois/grayslake/how-much-do-you-pay-for-school-registration-fees
I read the articles from 2013. It appears to still be the case in 2018-2019 that, while registration alone is not $400 (or even close to it), all of the extra costs (e.g., textbooks, extracurricular activities) can add up to that amount. And, of course, the more children you have, the costlier it gets.

Speaking with an attorney (one can be located through the Legal Aid link provided) is still my advice - but it might also be smart to contact the media (as suggested by Just Blue). The media can investigate and report on families struggling with registration costs.

And perhaps charitable organizations like the Salvation Army can be contacted for help.

There is not much sense in having fee waivers if those in need of a waiver cannot qualify for one.

Unbelievable.

HRZ

Presumably the OP is a bona fide resident of that district...a point not addressed.

Last I dug into IL issues, a local school outside Chicago was being roasted because it actually did have the gumption to check out a student not entitled to a free education under federal law based on her F-1 status

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">