• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can’t put my kids in school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

Here is a link to the school superintendent's letter that confirms what you've told us and, quite frankly, I am stunned:

http://www.norridge80.org/forms/18-19/Fee_Letter.pdf

You really need to get a lawyer involved. I cannot believe a school can demand a fee for registration when a family cannot afford to pay it.
And that 100.00 "may be refunded" not WILL be refunded. Even if OP were to bum the 200.00 to get his children enrolled he couldn't promise to repay when he is refunded. This really is outrageous.

quincy

And that 100.00 "may be refunded" not WILL be refunded. Even if OP were to bum the 200.00 to get his children enrolled he couldn't promise to repay when he is refunded. This really is outrageous.
I would think Illinois would be embarrassed and ashamed that the State allows education to be funded in this way.

I would go all lawyers, legislators and media on the District.

quincy

Can we share that letter elsewhere? I think we need to make some noise.
I was able to find the letter easily online. The site itself is copyright-protected so I advise against copying and printing off the letter but, because the site allows for public access, sharing a link to the site/letter should not violate rights.

laurakaye

That is definitely what the law says. The school district must be surprisingly unaware they are violating the law by refusing registration to those unable to pay.
On the Legal Aid site, it even goes on to explain what it means to waive a fee

kind of makes me wonder if what they're doing in OP's home school district is/has been a loophole schools have used to "get around" waiving a fee and her home school's superintendent didn't get the memo that it no longer should be used.)

• School fees must be waived for all students whose parents are unable to afford them, including students eligible for free breakfast or lunch. This includes families without income, those who are low income, and homeless students.
  • If a fee is “waived”, this means that the fee is not charged and the student will not owe money, but will still be allowed to go on the field trip, participate in graduation, use a locker, or take the science course.
  • It is against the law for a school or its employees to punish or discriminate against students for their inability to pay school fees.
(source: https://www.illinoislegalaid.org/legal-information/applying-school-fee-waiver)

As most of the posters on here, I am outraged at what the school is telling you.

Last edited:

Whoops2u

If you go to the actual compiled statutes ( http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=010500050HArt.+28&ActID=1005&ChapterID=17&SeqStart=173300000&SeqEnd=175800000 ) there is an addition to what I posted:

(105 ILCS 5/28-19.2) (from Ch. 122, par. 28-19.2)
Sec. 28-19.2. (a) No discrimination or punishment of any kind, including the lowering of grades or exclusion from classes, may be exercised against a student whose parents or guardians are unable to purchase required textbooks or instructional materials or to pay required fees.
(b) Any person who violates this Section is guilty of a petty offense.
(Source: P.A. 83-573.)

I wonder if a copy of the law and a call to the cops on the person who actually denies registration at the time might motivate people.

My cousin is contacting her lawyer for me and I tried to contact abc 7 news but they haven’t called me back. I filled out there form online. I also contact the ACLU. I waiting on a call back from the Mayor to. Just waiting now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">