• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can’t put my kids in school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Chicago has a wealth of attorneys within easy reach of Norridge, which is an advantage. Cost is no doubt an issue for "I'm concerned" so s/he may need to investigate firms offering pro bono services or go through the free legal aid organization.
I know but I am hoping that a quick call will solve things. And this guy was recommended by a friend/colleague of mine. I am NOT stating that I know this attorney personally but the children need to be in school.

quincy

I know but I am hoping that a quick call will solve things. And this guy was recommended by a friend/colleague of mine. I am NOT stating that I know this attorney personally but the children need to be in school.
I agree that time is short and a quick resolution is needed if the children are to be registered and in school on the first day of classes.

I think having an attorney address the registration problem directly with the school can be the best way to accomplish this short term goal.

I think media attention and legislative attention will be more important later when seeking a long term solution to pitiful Illinois school funding policies that can allow for any school to deny registration to those who cannot pay fees.

I am still amazed that the school district apparently cannot see how sadly ridiculous their registration policy is.

laurakaye

My cousin is contacting her lawyer for me and I tried to contact abc 7 news but they haven’t called me back. I filled out there form online. I also contact the ACLU. I waiting on a call back from the Mayor to. Just waiting now.
I reached out to a school board member for your school corporation and explained what you're experiencing. He wrote back and would like for you to contact him. He sent a phone number and his school board email address. I will send you the information (including my message to him) in a private message. I hope this helps you get the situation resolved.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I agree that time is short and a quick resolution is needed if the children are to be registered and in school on the first day of classes.

I think having an attorney address the registration problem directly with the school can be the best way to accomplish this short term goal.

I think media attention and legislative attention will be more important later when seeking a long term solution to pitiful Illinois school funding policies that can allow for any school to deny registration to those who cannot pay fees.

I am still amazed that the school district apparently cannot see how sadly ridiculous their registration policy is.
The registration fees are bad enough.

What's extra appalling is the annual proof of residency requirement, even if you are a returning student and have not moved. All the documentation has to be in the same parent's name, even if the parents are married. So, if the utilities or the mortgage are in your spouse's name, you cannot register your child for school.

Pinkie39

OP told me that the cost per child is $400.00. This is outrageous and cost prohibitive for the working poor. Perhaps if NBC/CBS/ABC were to pay the school a little visit they would reevaluate their "policy".
If that's true, that's disturbing!

My son is in 10th grade in one of the best school districts in Ohio. He has almost all honors and AP classes this year. His class fees this year are $235. And they're not due until the end of September - he started school August 14th.

I've never been charged a registration fee.

PayrollHRGuy

If that's true, that's disturbing!

My son is in 10th grade in one of the best school districts in Ohio. He has almost all honors and AP classes this year. His class fees this year are $235. And they're not due until the end of September - he started school August 14th.

I've never been charged a registration fee.
Well we aren't talking about Ohio. We are talking about Illinois.

Pinkie39

I realize that. I'm just shocked Illinois charges such high fees and for elementary school at that.
My kids were in Catholic schools through 4th grade for my son and 9th for my daughter, so I didn't even realize public schools charged fees at all. I assumed "free" public education really meant free.

Just Blue

My kids were in Catholic schools through 4th grade for my son and 9th for my daughter, so I didn't even realize public schools charged fees at all. I assumed "free" public education really meant free.
Lil'blu's school didn't in MA and her HS here in NV doesn't. The only "fee" I paid for thus far is $20.00 for her gym uniform. I've never been charged a reg fee for any of my kids...

ETA All of the kiddo's went to public schools.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">