• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I legitimately open a claim with ADA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What makes you believe that this person has sensory difficulties that would affect the ability to safely drive an automobile?
As I said, I'm not a doctor, but looking at the possible effects of sensory difficulties on sight it is worrisome that someone who MAY experience
  • Objects appear quite dark, or lose some of their features.
  • Central vision is blurred but peripheral vision quite sharp.
  • A central object is magnified but things on the periphery are blurred.
  • Poor depth perception, problems with throwing and catching, clumsiness.
could be behind the wheel of 120mph 6000 pound missile.
But if you think it's OK, that's good enough for me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As I said, I'm not a doctor, but looking at the possible effects of sensory difficulties on sight it is worrisome that someone who MAY experience
  • Objects appear quite dark, or lose some of their features.
  • Central vision is blurred but peripheral vision quite sharp.
  • A central object is magnified but things on the periphery are blurred.
  • Poor depth perception, problems with throwing and catching, clumsiness.
could be behind the wheel of 120mph 6000 pound missile.
But if you think it's OK, that's good enough for me.
Do you think these things just randomly pop up? Do you think that the person will obtain a license and then, at some random point all of a sudden just be overcome by severe sensory difficulties? C'mon Neil - you're just punking us now.

Just Blue

Do you think these things just randomly pop up? Do you think that the person will obtain a license and then, at some random point all of a sudden just be overcome by severe sensory difficulties? C'mon Neil - you're just punking us now.
Zig, Are you implying that someone would have to pass a driving test??? :p

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Neil, just stop it. You admit you don't know what you're talking about and you're making all kinds of assumptions that are not the case with all or even most AS individuals, and making gross generalizations that simply do not apply. You're making yourself look like an ignorant ass.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Key word, even highlighted by you, is MAY. Sure, some Asperger's patients might experience those effects. Most don't. That is why the Maryland Medical Advisory Board (which is made of up of actual physicians who know a little bit about how various medical conditions manifest themselves) did not list Asperger's as a condition that triggers the self-reporting requirement. Rather, outside of a few specific conditions that are listed, the reporting requirement comes down to having a condition in which the patient is experiencing problems that would impact his/her ability to drive. So if the OP had those kinds problems, regardless of what caused it, that would require reporting. So that gets us back to the question I asked you earlier (and that you conveniently skipped answering): what specifically did the OP say that leads you to think he or she has such a problem? Problems with time management are not disqualifying to drive. So what else have you got?

As I said, if in your professional opinion it's OK, who am I to argue.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
As I said, if in your professional opinion it's OK, who am I to argue.
How about MY professional opinion, Neil? Because I'm a behavioral health professional -- this is how I make my living. And I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that you have NO idea what you're talking about and you're just doubling down because you showed your butt and got called out on it. So stop it. Just stop it.

Last edited:
How about MY professional opinion, Neil? Because I'm a behavioral health professional -- this is how I make my living. And I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that you have NO idea what you're talking about and you're just doubling down because you showed your butt and got called out on it. So stop it. Just stop it.
I have, now will you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">