• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I legitimately open a claim with ADA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eerelations

One thing I'd like to say in OP's favour is that many Asberger's people have trouble with change. This is a strong symptom of Asberger's. Their disability requires them to do the same things at the same time every day. Change, no matter how minute, can cause Asbergere's people to have fits. Fits beyond their control.

The fact that OP is struggling with having to leave for work at different times every day (he calls it time management issues, but Asberger's people don't always express themselves the same way the rest of us do, so maybe he's really talking about change issues) tells me this may be a trigger for his Asberger's syndrome. So he may actually have a legitimate ADA claim.

(Regarding the constant calling his supervisors on walkie talkies, maybe a suitable accommodation would be to lay down some rules - for OP specifically - about what sorts of things he may call about and what sorts of things he may not call about. This might make OP's work life a lot easier. And I don't see as how it would be an especial hardship on OP's employer to write out some rules about this.)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Even allowing for the difficulty with change, I'm still having a hard time believing that either allowing preferential shifts so that the OP never had to drive in traffic, or allowing the OP to be tardy, would be considered reasonable.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
And that means everyone with this disorder should be denied drivers licenses? :cool:
Heck no!

Many average rocket scientists could be classified as having this disorder to some degree. If you can trust them to put a man on the moon, or program out defense systems...

Neil is just being a... what was the bully's name in "Back to the Future"?

Why would the OP report himself as someone with Asberger's when his main symptoms seem to be about time management and an inability to communicate normally with other people? What has this to do with driving? Really, please tell us. TIA
Because that's what the OP is telling us how he/she perceives the disability. It's like someone saying "I'm fine to drive I only had a couple of drinks". Often the prelude to a loss of life, and seldom the drivers.
Funny that I suggested it may be a good idea to let the DMV know about the mental disability as it may put others at risk, and everyone is up in arms.
If someone didn't consider their particular mental disability a problem, and therefore didn't disclose it when purchasing a firearm, would that be OK?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Because that's what the OP is telling us how he/she perceives the disability. It's like someone saying "I'm fine to drive I only had a couple of drinks". Often the prelude to a loss of life, and seldom the drivers.
Funny that I suggested it may be a good idea to let the DMV know about the mental disability as it may put others at risk, and everyone is up in arms.
If someone didn't consider their particular mental disability a problem, and therefore didn't disclose it when purchasing a firearm, would that be OK?
You are ill informed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">