• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I legitimately open a claim with ADA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

As a matter of fact, Neil, I know someone with Asperger's and I would be just fine with him purchasing a firearm. You really don't know much about the syndrome, do you?
To be honest I know absolutely nothing about the illness. But I'm glad that the decision to allow someone with any sort of mental illness to buy a gun will not be your decision to make.

TigerD

To be honest I know absolutely nothing about the illness. But I'm glad that the decision to allow someone with any sort of mental illness to buy a gun will not be your decision to make.
In 2017, Scientific American reported that nearly everyone will develop a mental disorder during their lives.

TD

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Because that's what the OP is telling us how he/she perceives the disability. It's like someone saying "I'm fine to drive I only had a couple of drinks". Often the prelude to a loss of life, and seldom the drivers.
Go back and reread the OP's post. What exactly did the OP say that leads you to think he believes his disease creates a condition that would make it unsafe to drive? I read his post and virtually off it laments that his condition makes him late for work. Well, last I knew there were no studies that say being late for events makes one unsafe to drive. So please, quote for me exactly what the OP said that you are relying upon for this. Because I don't see it.

If someone didn't consider their particular mental disability a problem, and therefore didn't disclose it when purchasing a firearm, would that be OK?
I don't consider having problems being late to be a disqualifer for owning a gun either. Can you point to a reliable study that says being late makes someone a greater risk for gun violence? I'm not aware of any.

Just Blue

My lil'blu has PDD/Asperger's. She is an excellent driver. You really should educate yourself on Neurological Disorders.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
So you know nothing of the disease but are willing to jump to the conclusion the OP is dangerous simply for having it? That makes about as much sense as a person hearing that a patient has cancer and, because he knows nothing of the disease, thinks the patient needs to be isolated from everyone else to keep the disease from spreading. Of course cancer is not a communicable disease, but hey, why should lack of knowledge stop him from discriminating against cancer patients? :rolleyes:

You seem to be of the view that all persons who have a mental condition or disability, no matter what it is, pose a significantly higher danger to others. That's simply wrong as a matter of science; you will find no reliable studies that make such a sweeping claim. Indeed, you will not find studies showing persons with Asperger's pose, as a whole, a greater risk while driving or using a gun than the general population. Jumping to the conclusion you did perpetuates the unfair stigma that many people with mental conditions have to bear. Those wrong impressions that we need to be wary of all people with any mental conditions makes their lives that much harder, and for no good reason.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, if you did know anything about it, you'd know that people with Asperger's do not pose any more danger to the community at large than you do. And possibly less, all things considered.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
As a matter of fact, Neil, I know someone with Asperger's and I would be just fine with him purchasing a firearm. You really don't know much about the syndrome, do you?
Ditto.

There are many fine, upstanding citizens who are safe drivers, registered gun owners, and definitely on the spectrum... What used to be called "quirky" or "eccentric" is now labelled as a disorder. We all have varying levels of abilities or disabilities, and it takes all kinds to make a thriving society. While a lot of people with Asperger's have had personal difficulties due to their social skills, there have also been many who made great contributions to the world. Mostly, they're quiet about it.

Neil, before you type another word in this thread, google "famous people with Asperger's".

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I've been biting my tongue and not responding to your ignorance, Neil, but you have gone too far. Asperger's is NOT a mental illness. I have no doubt that the people I know, love, and work with who have Asperger's not only have far superior intelligence than you possess, but far superior social skills. And that's saying something. How about you keep your woefully uninformed opinions to yourself?

eerelations

Neil - my next door neighbor has Asperger's syndrome. I suspected so after interacting with him a few times (based on my fairly extensive experience interacting with Asperger's people), but didn't say anything. Then his wife told me.

Anyway, he's in his 40s and seems to be a great guy - friendly, polite etc. He's from Washington state and has been a licensed contractor for about 30 years, focusing on large business contracts like malls and office buildings. He understands (and has written) very complex contracts, and has been to Washington DC on two separate occasions as a representative of the American construction industry, to speak to Congressional committees about construction regulatory matters. He is also very knowledgeable about employment law.

I think he must have been pretty successful in his contractor work because he has been able to retire before the age of 50. (And it's not about his wife's net worth, she was a river guide all her life, earning peanuts. So they're retired on his money, not hers.) He owns two houses, one here in Mexico and one in Washington state. I don't know what his US house is worth, but I do know that his Mexican house cost him $240,000 USD, all cash. He plans to spend six months per year in Washington, and six months per year here in Mexico.

I am certain that in his job, and in his normal life, he must have had to drive vehicles pretty much every day. He hasn't yet bought a car here in Mexico, but has rented one for a couple of months + my husband has loaned him his car a few times. (My husband is a retired auto insurance investigator who has seen so many bad things in the car world that he is loath to lend his car to anyone. He won't lend it to my brother - who has a lead foot - but he will lend it to our Asperger's neighbor. This tells me something about my neighbor's apparent ability to drive well and safely.)

Given all this, Neil, do you really think my neighbor should give up his driver's license?

Last edited:
I've been biting my tongue and not responding to your ignorance, Neil, but you have gone too far. Asperger's is NOT a mental illness. I have no doubt that the people I know, love, and work with who have Asperger's not only have far superior intelligence than you possess, but far superior social skills. And that's saying something. How about you keep your woefully uninformed opinions to yourself?
In future I shall.
I will also ignore articles such as this regarding the symptoms and definition of the illness.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/7601.php

Just Blue

In future I shall.
I will also ignore articles such as this regarding the symptoms and definition of the illness.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/7601.php
Neil, Think of ASD as a virus. Some may just get the sniffles and others may have pneumonia. I will tell you that my daughter is the most amazing,sane and rational person you will ever meet with an intellectual sense of humor and dry delivery that will make ya bust a gut laughing. She is not mentally ill. She has PDD/Asperger's. There is a big difference between neurological disorders and mental illness.

That article doesn't back your position.
"Signs of AS include obsessive interests, formal speech, rituals, social isolation, delay in motor skills, lack of imagination and sensory difficulties. "
Motor skills and sensory difficulties got my attention when applied to being in control of a 6000 pound missile on a public road.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I do not have AS. I have poor motor skills due to a visual defect, which the RMV knows about and for which my license is modified. Should I surrender my license?

Sensory difficulties covers a wide range, but for people with AS often refers to an objection to being touched. How does that affect their ability to drive?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">