• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 year old moving out in Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jkoenig05

I live in Ohio and I am 18 years old. I was wondering if I can move out with out parental consent, and what can they do to stop me? I am still enrolled in High School as a senior but I attend college full time paid for by my High School. Would me still being in High School prevent me from doing so with out their consent?

BelizeBreeze

I live in Ohio and I am 18 years old. I was wondering if I can move out with out parental consent
Yes.

what can they do to stop me?
not a damn thing.

Of course, they can also change the locks on the doors when you run out of money, food and patience living in the 'real' world but then, that's a personal problem.

rmet4nzkx

jkoenig05 said:
I live in Ohio and I am 18 years old. I was wondering if I can move out with out parental consent, and what can they do to stop me? I am still enrolled in High School as a senior but I attend college full time paid for by my High School. Would me still being in High School prevent me from doing so with out their consent?
the age of emancipation in Ohio is when child turns 18 or when child graduates from high school.

You only have a few more months until graduation even though you are in college. Quesiton, have you finished all your graduation requirements and only waiting for the diploma and walking the line or do you stil have some HS classes to finish? If you have completed all the requirements and just waiting for the diploma you could move out, but think about it otherwise you may eventually move back in, it happens every day, your parents are not obligated to support you after you graduate from college.

jkoenig05

I have fullfilled all but two requirements for graduating High School. Is it legal for me to move out still, and is there anything my parents can do to stop me while I'm still in High School?

jkoenig05

Just to inform the ones of you who view this or post replies to my original post, I moved out last night and there was nothing my parents could do to stop me. I was entitled to things I purchased and my clothes. At the age of 18 the "Age of Majority" takes into affect. It is required for parents to continue providing untill a child is 18 or graduated, which ever is later. However, if an 18 year old child moves out there is no obligation for them to stay home. I got everything exceot the car I paid for but was in my mom's name, my guitar that my mom only paid $40 for, and some Xbox games and DVD's. Everything else was in my name so I got it. If you would like any information regarding this just leave a post and I'll get back to you.

rmet4nzkx

So??? Your parents let you move out and you didn't get all your stuff, how is that proving anything? Are you going to expect them to support you now that you have moved out so you can party hardy or leach off your friends? :rolleyes:

S

seniorjudge

jkoenig05 said:
If you would like any information regarding this just leave a post and I'll get back to you.
Where did you get a full time job and what is the rate of pay?

(It probably won't go up much for the rest of your life; I hope you are really good at living on small wages.)

Good luck!

rmet4nzkx

Ahhh he can walk around with a big plastic bag and collect aluminimum cans for $.58 a pound and go dumpster diving for nearly spoiled produce, yummmmmmy :rolleyes: I hope he took some warm sweaters, I understand it's cold in Ohio lately.

Happy Trails

seniorjudge said:
Where did you get a full time job and what is the rate of pay?

(It probably won't go up much for the rest of your life; I hope you are really good at living on small wages.)

Good luck!
jkoenig05 was hoping to get child support check.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=213454

jkoenig05 said:
Child support after moving out

I live in Ohio. I am 18 and a senior in High School. I know that my biological father is forced to continue paying child support untill I graduate. I was wondering if my mom can still keep collecting event though I am not there, or can I recieve the support now.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is utterly amazing how many of these silly children believe that a judge will quote emancipate them unquote so that they no longer need to do what their parents say, but that their parents/bf or gf/bf or gf's parents/someone else will continue to support them.

It never crosses their immature little minds that they might actually have to take responsibility for themselves.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">