• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stevil

What is the name of your state? California

Yesterday my employer handed me a notice of wage assesment for child support. I make $15 an hour and have 2 children from a previous relationship. The child support order is for my new daughter. They are ordering my employer to withhold $983.00 a month!!! How is this possible?
I never recieved any notice to appear or summons or anything. How can someone survive let alone take care of previous obligations? How can someone be a Dad if they cant afford food or gas? Please, any advice will be tremendously appreciated.

melaniebaker78

I am sorry to hear this, however, did you try to work out arrangements with the mother before she filed? As I have learned outside agreements are not enforceable, but may be that should have been an option until you were able to secure another job, or a part-time job so that you could pay more money. However, she does have the right to file.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
stevil said:
I make $15 an hour and have 2 children from a previous relationship. The child support order is for my new daughter. They are ordering my employer to withhold $983.00 a month!!! How is this possible?
I suspect it's support and childcare included. Are you SURE you had no notice? If that's really the case, you could appeal it based on lack of service.

rmet4nzkx

Please keep this all in one place as it is all related, also we need facts. Here are the links to all 4 of your threads all of which contain some but not all the facts needed to answer your questions, some provide conflicting information. We need accurate accounting of facts to provide answers even though we see the wheels rolling.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=271226
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=271239
stevil said:
What is the name of your state?California
Last year my girlfriend went to Kaiser for a check up and the lab informed her that she had syphilis and gonorhea! The lab technician instructed the tester to retest the sample as the first test's results were "unreadable".I had been (we have since broken up) faithful 100% and she was very pregnant at the time so it is impossible that she was infected. I went to the V.A. and got tested with negative results. They (Kaiser) proceeded to forward her information to the CDC. Needless to say, this has effectively ruined our relationship and caused a great deal of emotional distress. Even after I returned home with my test results she thinks I gave her 2!!! std's. Ive never had an std in my life. What are my options.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=271234
stevil said:
I started working for my current employer as a consultant, part-time at night. This turned into 45-60 hours a week. When I started we agreed on $20.00 an hour. Well, the long hours took their toll and my day job, where I made $17.50 hr. had to let me go. When I came to my current employer to seek a full time position they cut my pay to $15.00 an hour, citing their wholesale rate for my position was $35.00 an hour and if working overtime, their would not be much profit. I rarely get overtime and this has put a tremendous financial strain on me and my family. I feel completely violated. To top things off, I was told I would recieve a review last January. It is now almost September. Not so much as a cost-of-living increase.. What are my options? Thank you in advance.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=271230
stevil said:
Yesterday my employer handed me a notice of wage assesment for child support. I make $15 an hour and have 2 children from a previous relationship. The child support order is for my new daughter. They are ordering my employer to withhold $983.00 a month!!! How is this possible?
I never recieved any notice to appear or summons or anything. How can someone survive let alone take care of previous obligations? How can someone be a Dad if they cant afford food or gas? Please, any advice will be tremendously appreciated.

rmet4nzkx

stevil said:

You have not been entirely honest with us and from my calculations based on the amounts you were claiming and would be found on you income tax returns before you started changing jobs, the amount is very possible.
http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/Childsupport/california/
Just because you dissappear or ignore the summons doesn't make it disappear. Until you do something, you are stuck. You have 2 years to contest paternity and even less to fight a default judgement but I have some questions.
Are both of these children by the same woman?
How did you establish paternity and child support with the first one and paternity with the second? DNA or Acknowledgement?
How old are these children?
Was mom on welfare or MediCal? Wic?
Did you live together?
Is there a DV restraining order?
What visitation or other orders exist?

stevil

Re: honest?

First of all.. I am seeking advice. What reason would i have to be dishonest with you. My first two children are not in this equation. The amount is for my daughter from my latest relationship. She was never on Welfare and I lived with them up until 2 1/2 weeks ago. I NEVER recieved notice or was served in any manner so why are you questioning my honesty? If I was served I would have had the opportunity to state my case and wouldnt be here.

stevil

Re: honest?

First of all.. I am seeking advice. What reason would i have to be dishonest with you. My first two children are not in this equation. The amount is for my daughter from my latest relationship. She was never on Welfare and I lived with them up until 2 1/2 weeks ago. I NEVER recieved notice or was served in any manner so why are you questioning my honesty? If I was served I would have had the opportunity to state my case and wouldnt be here. I would have had a chance to consult an attorney. She just went to court and got a wage assessment without notifying me in any way. We have spoken several times and no court date was ever mentioned. Please dont question my integrity as a person or as a father, as I simply need advice not ridicule. Thank you.

rmet4nzkx

Steve,
I understand you are defensive but we need facts, ALL of them, to advise, please answer the questions as they pretain to all of your children and all of their mothers?
Ages, paternity, court orders.
So you have 3 children, 2 from one woman past relationship, without the information about what you are paying in child support for them taken into account your current child support order most likely can't be adjusted, but if you are paying you will have to provide proof, are they in CA? Then you have another past relationship resulting in your most recent child. When was this child born? Did you sign an acknowledgement of paternity at the hospital? If you did, and you abandoned them 2.5 weeks ago, all she had to do was take that to family court and CSE to attach your wages.

Go to the Superior Court site for your county and to the Family law facilitators office for assistance with your paternity and child support case. You will have to file for custody and visitation on your own, the type and amount of custody and visitaiton will affect your child support, hint hint, you need to file. Does your child have any special health needs?

Once you answer some of the questions I may have some more advice. I will also more specifically discuss your options on the medmal question. But right now you need to get your you know what over to family court.

stevil

re

I am defensive because I came here seeking advice not to have my integrity questioned. And I didnt abandon anyone. I came home from work to find the locks changed and my belongings in the driveway. You seem to be doing just fine making up your own facts so I will seek advice elsewhere.

rmet4nzkx

stevil said:
I am defensive because I came here seeking advice not to have my integrity questioned. And I didnt abandon anyone. I came home from work to find the locks changed and my belongings in the driveway. You seem to be doing just fine making up your own facts so I will seek advice elsewhere.
More omitted facts! But you still haven't answered the questions.
We deal with many people, you came here defensive and still refuse to provide the facts required to give any advice.

First of all, unless there is a domestic violence restraining order, she can't just change the locks and put your stuff out on the sidewalk, but you would have to provide facts in order to advise, we can't just give you all the possibilities.

How long did you live together?
Are you on the lease?
Are any of the utility bills in your name?
Can you please answer the previous questions.

stevil

Facts

We lived together for four years. No I was not on the lease. Only my personal bills were in my name. She had done the same thing 2 years ago and I lost everything I possesed. All because she thought I was somewhere I wasn't. A police report was filed in that instance. This one the police told me there wasn't anything they could do. Our daughter was born premature. A 23 weeker. She had almost no chance of surviving let alone being normal. She is now the most beautiful little 1 year old girl in the world. No signs of being a premie. I love her just as much if not more than her mother.

rmet4nzkx

stevil said:
We lived together for four years. No I was not on the lease. Only my personal bills were in my name. She had done the same thing 2 years ago and I lost everything I possesed. All because she thought I was somewhere I wasn't. A police report was filed in that instance. This one the police told me there wasn't anything they could do. Our daughter was born premature. A 23 weeker. She had almost no chance of surviving let alone being normal. She is now the most beautiful little 1 year old girl in the world. No signs of being a premie. I love her just as much if not more than her mother.
The police are not the best advice for landlord/tennant eviction issues, but since you are out it is far more difficult to settle, that, you should have had 60 days notice, but that is the least of your problems right now.

I hope you will answer the questions.

It must have been a traumatic experience for all of you and possible that you/your family may have a cause of action but the facts and damages are more complex than malpractice alone.

Even though your daughter seems developmentally on target, please contact http://www.dds.cahwnet.gov/EarlyStart/ESHome.cfm
For their early intervention program because there are many resources available that may be of help in dealing with this.

Please contact the family law facilitator office re the orders and how to file the motions. You may want to consult with a family law attorney and also seek a referal to a personal injury attorney or medmal attorney. but you really need to focus on getting all your facts together and in chronological order and also have an idea of what your damages are, in other words all the things that happened because of the confusion about the test.

More facts are needed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">