• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abused 13 year old, how can I help him??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xylene

Understood. I am not looking for information/advice to take this child out of this group on my own, he has left and come to my home on his own because he knows it is a safe place. I am just seeking advice on what to do if he leaves again that will keep him safe and that won't get anyone sent to jail. I'm not going to like take the kid and run off. I just want to know what the proper first steps would need to be.

You need a lawyer like yesterday.

You are dealing with a minor, and you need to get over your savior thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Cults and extreme religious practices that are not legally defensible do exist.

That said, OP, I think you need to back off of your of Jesus complex on this.

Keep after the authorities, and see about getting a lawyer.

Do something constructive instead of something that could sabotage this young person.
I would agree with all of the above.

hjsip

You need a lawyer like yesterday.

You are dealing with a minor, and you need to get over your savior thing.
Please stop being snarly, I said I understood. I'm aware there is VERY little I can do but if he were to walk into my home this minute, what am I to do?? THAT is what I'm wondering. I'm not secretly harboring a child, I am just trying to get a few pieces of information.

Last edited by a moderator:

Proserpina

Please stop being snarly, I said I understood. I'm aware there is VERY little I can do but if he were to walk into my home this minute, what am I to do?? THAT is what I'm wondering. I'm not secretly harboring a child, I am just trying to get a few pieces of information.

Oh for the love of...

This is not brain surgery! If the child turns up bruised and battered, you call 911 and CPS.

If the child turns up whining, you send the child right back home. The CHILD can call 911 and CPS, too. Plenty old enough.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Why didn't the child seek out the help of one of his 4 older, presumably adult, brothers???
I think that it's kind of skeevy that these two grown men are raising this kind of fuss about a 13yo boy.... OP and his roommate (the 40yo man who 'worked' beside the boy). :cool:

hjsip

dealing with a cult is not simple.

I am being sincere. You need a lawyer.
The cult thing is what is making it hardest to figure out. We've been talking with a lawyer and she has given us as much legal advice about handling this as she can. Thank you though.

Why didn't the child seek out the help of one of his 4 older, presumably adult, brothers???
I don't know the brothers personally but I do know that 3 have joined the military in some form, navy, marines, army, not exactly sure. But I don't where they all live or how easy it is to get a hold of them because they essentially divorced their family so they could get out of there.

I think that it's kind of skeevy that these two grown men are raising this kind of fuss about a 13yo boy.... OP and his roommate (the 40yo man who 'worked' beside the boy). :cool:
I am a woman, so thank you for your assumption that did not inform anyone of anything except that you like to add your unnecessary 2 cents. Thanks.

Silverplum

I am a woman, so thank you for your assumption that did not inform anyone of anything except that you like to add your unnecessary 2 cents. Thanks.
Funny, I *knew* you are a woman.

Men generally don't get all wound up about kids that aren't theirs.

:cool:

That doesn't mean that we are remotely interested in helping you. Say goodbye to TheGeekess and her friends.

robert eggleton

We just lock him up: 2/3 of juveniles in lock-up have mental health diagnoses

I am in New York State and I don't know what else I can do to help this boy. He has grown up in a cult-like community with an abusive father and for the past month has been trying to leave.
He came to my home this morning, I called Child Protective Services and three people from CPS came to my home this afternoon and talked to him. His father came tonight and a trooper called us to tell us we needed to release him to his father who then brought him back into their community. Before the 13 year old left, we told him that if his father lays a finger on him that he come back to our home and call the same trooper and tell him what has happened. Is there anything else I can do for him?? What questions can I ask authorities (CPS, Police, etc.) to get clearer information to protect the 13 year old if he comes back??
CPS will just give him to juvenile justice. He is too old to be adopted and there was no money to be made in specialized foster care so that dried up. It is a hard choice. He will be revictimized if locked up, but that is probably the only option -- even if they call it a group home, it is still lock-up, sometimes without the razor wire and fences. DHHR will not risk any liability on this kid and will physically restrain him if he even tries to act "normal."

CdwJava

We just lock him up: 2/3 of juveniles in lock-up have mental health diagnoses

CPS will just give him to juvenile justice. He is too old to be adopted and there was no money to be made in specialized foster care so that dried up. It is a hard choice. He will be revictimized if locked up, but that is probably the only option -- even if they call it a group home, it is still lock-up, sometimes without the razor wire and fences. DHHR will not risk any liability on this kid and will physically restrain him if he even tries to act "normal."
Gee ... YOU don't have an agenda here, do you? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">