• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accessing Private Facebook Messages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

Long story short, I was given a iPad to use by my employer. Part of my job required me to have access to my facebook as I did lots of messaging through the company facebook business page. When we parted ways they did not give me the iPad to be able to delete my facebook account off of it. After being gone from job for almost 2 months two of the employees accessed my facebook account and read all of my private messages. They even pulled a friend aside and confronted her about something she sent me. I figured out that they had accessed it after they quoted something that was only said in a private message. I checked my account and noticed it had was logged in and actively used on the iPad at my old job. I know that this is against the law but what are they steps I need to take?

quincy

You used your company-supplied iPad for accessing your own private Facebook account and did not limit your use to the company's Facebook business account?

You used your company-supplied iPad for accessing your own private Facebook account and did not limit your use to the company's Facebook business account?
I was considered a contracted laborer. They supplied the iPad but the business page was linked through my account. I used iPad and facebook strictly for business while at work. They don't own the rights to my company nor facebook page. They didn't access the messages in my business account they accessed them in my personal account which is linked to the business one.

quincy

I was considered a contracted laborer. They supplied the iPad but the business page was linked through my account. I used iPad and facebook strictly for business while at work. They don't own the rights to my company nor facebook page. They didn't access the messages in my business account they accessed them in my personal account which is linked to the business one.
Why did you link the accounts?

LdiJ

You need to contact Facebook and see if there is a way that you can hard log out of facebook from all devices or change your password from all devices which would also log you out. There should be a way to make it work.

I was a contracted laborer. I had an established business page set up prior to going to that employer. I guess, I'm an idiot and didn't think that professional people would take access to my personal account. My question is, because its against the law regardless of how they gained access, what are my steps? Do I contact a lawyer or contact the Company first?

quincy

When you start a business page you do so through your personal facebook page. I own a spray tan business so my business page is linked through my personal page.
There are ways to set up your business page to keep it separate from your personal page but you apparently did not restrict access.

You can check your privacy settings to try to prevent further access to your personal page and messages but it might be best for you to have a computer person help you start over.

quincy

I am not seeing that there is any legal action worth pursuing, even if the employees of your former company might have exceeded authorization when they accessed messages on your private page when using company iPad. It sounds as if you did not set Facebook permissions and restrictions properly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">