• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony for Life

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bali Hai

As was said, no scam here. The OP was just fine with this. He considered it a fair price to pay to be done with things. The OP is the one who did this to himself. Period.
The judge had a choice, to sign that ridiculous grossly one-sided agreement or not. Period.

I'm willing to bet if the roles were reversed, the judge would have never signed if the wife agreed to pay permanent alimony after a 5 year marriage. Period.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The judge had a choice, to sign that ridiculous grossly one-sided agreement or not. Period.
How is it one-sided? You have no idea, as you have no clue as to the full facts of the case.

I'm willing to bet if the roles were reversed, the judge would have never signed if the wife agreed to pay permanent alimony after a 5 year marriage. Period.
Your bias is glaring, Bali. I'm sorry that you were so hurt in the past. Perhaps therapy will help...

ecmst12

I'm guessing the financial situation is such that OP is not missing the $800/month, he's just tired of writing the checks.

tuffbrk

And actually - what about the attorney for the OP? How ridiculous that someone signed on for lifetime alimony, that OPs attorney didn't suggest a property settlement of some sort in lieu of lifetime alimony. For all OP knows, ex is cohabitating these days.

mistoffolees

And actually - what about the attorney for the OP? How ridiculous that someone signed on for lifetime alimony, that OPs attorney didn't suggest a property settlement of some sort in lieu of lifetime alimony. For all OP knows, ex is cohabitating these days.
We don't know if OP had an attorney. Further, even if OP had an attorney, the attorney may have fully explained the consequences of signing - and would therefore not be culpable.

The attorney's job is to make sure that their client understands the consequences of a decision; not necessarily to talk the client out of making a decision that looks like a bad one in retrospect.

Bali Hai

Believe it or not, there are some decent people out there. Even my ex - who is one of the most selfish people I know -voluntarily gave up thousands of dollars of alimony when I lost my job.

He'll never know if he doesn't ask. And, she may realize that she's going to have to spend thousands on lawyers if she doesn't agree - and maybe lose, anyway.
Hopefully that was approved by the court, if not, watch your back.

Zigner

Irrelevant as to the egregious conduct of the court and the total miscarriage of justice.
Bali, do you have anything factual to say? If not, please include the letters "IMO", since that is only your biased opinion

mistoffolees

Bali, do you have anything factual to say? If not, please include the letters "IMO", since that is only your biased opinion
He does. Every one of his posts has his name in blue in the upper left corner. As soon as you see "Bali Hai", you know it's some inane opinion.

Bali Hai

I'll consider that, if you consider doing the same.

You can start with IMO this OP got screwed by the justice system and it's his own fault because judge's don't have to be fair and impartial to ignorant people. mm..k?

Bali Hai

He does. Every one of his posts has his name in blue in the upper left corner. As soon as you see "Bali Hai", you know it's some inane opinion.
Just because you project a politically correct opinion in your posts (I seriously doubt if even you believe them) doesn't make your opinions better than mine "misto" in blue.

Silverplum

It makes your opinions less legally valid, Bali. And Misto's -- and everyone else who is not embittered -- more legally valid.

Zigner

I'll consider that, if you consider doing the same.

You can start with IMO this OP got screwed by the justice system and it's his own fault because judge's don't have to be fair and impartial to ignorant people. mm..k?
Fact (not opinion): OP did NOT get screwed by the courts (justice system). Fact (not opinion): OP and his ex presented an agreement that everybody (at the time) felt was fair. Fact (not opinion): The judge will not generally override a negotiated agreement that is not related to children.

Your turn :rolleyes:

mistoffolees

Fact (not opinion): OP did NOT get screwed by the courts (justice system). Fact (not opinion): OP and his ex presented an agreement that everybody (at the time) felt was fair. Fact (not opinion): The judge will not generally override a negotiated agreement that is not related to children.

Your turn :rolleyes:
Bali's busy crying in his beer over his alimony, so I'll fill in for him.

Fact: Bali thinks that women should be cast to the streets when their husbands are through with them

Fact: No matter what the circumstances, women should not be able to collect alimony

Fact: Women should be forced to work long hours - even if the woman and her husband are in agreement for her to stay home. After all, he might get tired of her some day and if she's working, he can argue that she shouldn't get alimony.

Your turn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">