• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Altering a prescription & identify theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

magus a

What is the name of your state? CA

I am charged with HS11368 (forging or altering a prescription) and PC530.5A, (identity theft) I think as a felony in San Mateo County, CA. I did admit to trying to fill a prescription written to me, but authorize by the doctor. I did not alter or forge anything. I an on video surveillance. I have no prior convictions. I had to go into the county jail to do a Book and Release. Will I have to do jail time, or is the other options?

quincy

If convicted of forging or altering a prescription, there is a mandatory minimum sentence of six months in jail.

FlyingRon

I can't parse your statement. What did you do with this prescription exactly?
You need an attorney.

PayrollHRGuy

Other than saying she was charged with it I don't see anything in the OP mentioning the ID theft.

I'm betting she changed the name on a script. I hope she returns to clarify.

quincy

Other than saying she was charged with it I don't see anything in the OP mentioning the ID theft.

I'm betting she changed the name on a script. I hope she returns to clarify.
Clarification would be nice.

All magus said was that s/he tried to fill a prescription written to her and authorized by a doctor. This alone should not result in criminal charges unless a lot has been left unsaid. :)

Because there is mandatory jail time upon conviction, magus should not go without an attorney.

FlyingRon

Yep. I suspect that EITHER she meant something else (the grammar is awkward) or she attempted to fill the prescription multiple times (or used an old one). I posted my previous comment purely as informational. Most people think of Identity Theft as being a financial thing but I was pointing out the California law covers health records as well.

magus a

I was asked by a friend to fill a prescription for them with a script they would supply to me. There was no monetary motive. There was an error on the script, no qty, and the pharmacy called the doctor. I am not a patient. I guess the doctor did not write the script is the reason for identity theft.

quincy

Thank you for explaining further what led to your charges.

Your friend got you into quite a legal mess, magus a. You will need a criminal defense attorney to help you get out of it with the minimum penalty possible.

Although I am not seeing that you can avoid jail time, your attorney might be able to work some miracles.

Good luck.

I was asked by a friend to fill a prescription for them with a script they would supply to me. There was no monetary motive. There was an error on the script, no qty, and the pharmacy called the doctor. I am not a patient. I guess the doctor did not write the script is the reason for identity theft.

magus a

It does seem I need an attorney. Unfortunately I am really broke trying to recover from a divorce. I am hardly making ends meet living paycheck to paycheck. Recent hospital bills from a stroke 4 months ago did not help.

quincy

It does seem I need an attorney. Unfortunately I am really broke trying to recover from a divorce. I am hardly making ends meet living paycheck to paycheck. Recent hospital bills from a stroke 4 months ago did not help.
You might be eligible for a public defender then.

If not, perhaps you can borrow enough for a lawyer from family or friends. The friend who gave you the fake prescription might even give you money for an attorney (although s/he could be facing charges as well),

I just don't think you should try to handle this without an attorney.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">