• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

am i the one to control my son's inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Workingmother

What I don't understand -- why the OP would want to mess with her son's money to begin with? Leave that for him when he reaches adulthood. Use your own money for indcidentals and guitar lessons. Just be safe and do the right thing (I don't even know if what you're wanting to do is illegal, only perhaps immoral). Just save the money. Your son will need it more when he goes off to college, or when he wants to put a down payment on a house. Don't mess with it! As a mother, I think you should just forget about the money and be thankful that your son will graduate high school with a small nest egg.

I don't know...I'm very uneasy with your wanting to spend the money before you even have it. It belongs to your son.

leelisa

I first want to address alaska:
I wonder if this Guy had family members that were cheated out of the inheritance. OP, how did you merit this money?

Is he your baby's daddy?
That comment is a direct insult to my deceased friend not me and that's not fair of you. My son got 10% of the estate. My friend was a father figure to me, he gave me away at my wedding. Unfortunatly, he was sick for many years and lived in Flordia and I didn't get to see him much the 4 years before he passed.

If you all must know my story of why I would even concider using my sons money for comfortable support and to calm some fears about me misusing the money, I will give it. I have another son that is 2 years old, who was born with a tethered spinal cord and other issues with his legs. He has already in his short life has had 5 operations. I would like him also to have money (hopefully I can give the same amount my other son is getting). What I had planned on doing, was anything I would spend out of my olders son money, for him and him ONLY, I would then match that and put in another account for my little one.

Example: summer camp cost 200.00 for older son
I would take the money out of his UTMA account to pay for camp.
I would then take 200.00 out of my money and put in my little ones account.

The way I look at it, right or wrong, it is a way to share the money. They both deserve it, but my little one was born after my friend passed away. It is also a way to help my husband and I to make up the difference. We get A LOT of medical bills. We are fortunate now with the money my hubby makes, but as we all know, in life there are no gurantees for the future. We also plan on putting a cap on how much money would be used out of my older son's account, we haven't determined this yet, but I can assure everyone in 14 years at the age of 21, there will still be a substantial amount of money there. Hopefully my other son will have a bunch too. Don't forget this money will accure intrest over the next 14 years.

As far as college goes for both my boys, my mom has that taken care of already for all 5 of her grandkids. She is making it so they can only use her money for college and nothing eles. She is strict that way.

I am still working on finding out excatly what is going on with the inheritance.

fairisfair

I see your still suffering from the whipping I gave you.:D
I am suffering from having to listen to your never ending babble on subjects in which you have absolutely no knowledge. Stick to being a slum lord, it is what you do best. Stop confusing the other forums with your drivel.

BlondiePB

I first want to address alaska:

If you all must know my story of why I would even concider using my sons money for comfortable support and to calm some fears about me misusing the money, I will give it. I have another son that is 2 years old, who was born with a tethered spinal cord and other issues with his legs. He has already in his short life has had 5 operations. I would like him also to have money (hopefully I can give the same amount my other son is getting). What I had planned on doing, was anything I would spend out of my olders son money, for him and him ONLY, I would then match that and put in another account for my little one.

Example: summer camp cost 200.00 for older son
I would take the money out of his UTMA account to pay for camp.
I would then take 200.00 out of my money and put in my little ones account.

The way I look at it, right or wrong, it is a way to share the money. They both deserve it, but my little one was born after my friend passed away. It is also a way to help my husband and I to make up the difference. We get A LOT of medical bills. We are fortunate now with the money my hubby makes, but as we all know, in life there are no gurantees for the future. We also plan on putting a cap on how much money would be used out of my older son's account, we haven't determined this yet, but I can assure everyone in 14 years at the age of 21, there will still be a substantial amount of money there. Hopefully my other son will have a bunch too. Don't forget this money will accure intrest over the next 14 years.

As far as college goes for both my boys, my mom has that taken care of already for all 5 of her grandkids. She is making it so they can only use her money for college and nothing eles. She is strict that way.

I am still working on finding out excatly what is going on with the inheritance.
Your story is irrelevant.

Workingmother

What leelisa is doing is illegal. She and the money controller will get caught by the court. I have absolutely no doubt about it.
Oh, I believe you. I was just saying I don't have the expertise to declare it illegal, but it would make sense that the law would protect children from the exact situations described in this thread. Even after countless of warnings, the OP is still intent on using the money they way *she* wants and not what's in the best interest of her son whom it was intented for.

The whole thing just breaks my heart to be honest with you. I hope that if she does spend the money willy-nilly that she will indeed be caught! I say this more as a child advocate than anything.

BlondiePB

Oh, I believe you. I was just saying I don't have the expertise to declare it illegal, but it would make sense that the law would protect children from the exact situations described in this thread. Even after countless of warnings, the OP is still intent on using the money they way *she* wants and not what's in the best interest of her son whom it was intented for.

The whole thing just breaks my heart to be honest with you. I hope that if she does spend the money willy-nilly that she will indeed be caught! I say this more as a child advocate than anything.
She'll be facing criminal (felony) charges. She WILL be caught.

leelisa

I never said I was going to do anything without finding out if it was legal.
My kind of situation is not unheard of in Pennsylvania.
I have signed a paper from Pennsylvania orphans' court division as parent and natural guardian of my son. I don't have that paper now to be able to give more details about it because, I mailed it in. This is a site I found some info. on explaining how the process of getting and managing UTMA accounts works in PA.

http://www.wolfbaldwin.com/lawyers_attorneys/articles.asp?ArticleID=52&Page=PAUTMA_Pennsylvania_Uniform_Transfers_to_Minors_Act_UTMA.asp

Again, I will still make sure anything I would do is legal. If I am told not to touch the money by someone dealing with this estate, I won't.

BlondiePB

I never said I was going to do anything without finding out if it was legal.
My kind of situation is not unheard of in Pennsylvania.
I have signed a paper from Pennsylvania orphans' court division as parent and natural guardian of my son. I don't have that paper now to be able to give more details about it because, I mailed it in. This is a site I found some info. on explaining how the process of getting and managing UTMA accounts works in PA.

http://www.wolfbaldwin.com/lawyers_attorneys/articles.asp?ArticleID=52&Page=PAUTMA_Pennsylvania_Uniform_Transfers_to_Minors_Act_UTMA.asp

Again, I will still make sure anything I would do is legal. If I am told not to touch the money by someone dealing with this estate, I won't.
leelisa, the account for your son established by the court are restricted funds. Each state has info about this stuff. Let me look up some info for the state where the account was established. When it comes to state info that is on-line, some states are much better and more detailed than other state sites - but I'll see what I can find.

leelisa

The state the estate is in and the bank is here in PA. Even though my friend died in Florida, he had everything set up here, he still owend a house and did his buisness here. Thought maybe this info. would be helpful in your search, I am not intendeding on sounding combative.

BlondiePB

The state the estate is in and the bank is here in PA. Even though my friend died in Florida, he had everything set up here, he still owend a house and did his buisness here. Thought maybe this info. would be helpful in your search, I am not intendeding on sounding combative.
leelisa, I remember in a previous post that has been edited, that you sent info to a different state. That state would be FL. Florida does have provisions for ancillary estates, that is very easy (at least for me) to look up info for FL. On-line Pennsylvania Code is a pain in the you know what.

Major banks have branches all over the country, that would include both FL & PA. Establishing if FL had an ancillary probate opened on the deceased can be done by me in a few clicks and keystrokes.

Thus, would you please activate your Private Messaging (PM) here on this forum. I want to ask you a few things that should not be posted on the open forum. You, at your discretion, can post on the open forum anything I say & ask in those PM's. I will not disclose any information discussed between us in those PM's. I have never disclosed personal info on this forum and will not do so. Should I do so, the administrator of this forum is authorized to terminate my membership.

The only thing I would post is findings without any personal info due to the interest in this thread. For example, what state governs your son's money; if the court allows the money controller to release funds at his/her/discretion (which would be written in black & white as I previously have said); etc.

Not only will you be saving a lot in attorney fees, you'll have your answers for free. Other persons that I have helped or have sought my assistance via PM have offered to pay me. I declined, as that is NOT the purpose of this forum. I told them if they so wanted to, to send a donation to my favorite charity: Hospice of Palm Beach County. (Yes, Mother Mary, you can check.)

leelisa, Mary is the administrator here. Send me a PM when you enable the PM feature in your CP (control panel). I already know what FL Statutes say regarding all this, without looking them up. I will post that info anyway, later.

For those of you reading this, please do not send leelisa PM's harassing/telling her off. Let me get to the bottom of this for her son's sake.

Last edited:

leelisa

For those of you reading this, please do not send leelisa PM's harassing/telling her off. Let me get to the bottom of this for her son's sake.
For this very reason, is why I won't open the PM. I can assure you that Florida has nothing to do with this. He only had a vacation home there, he did zero buisness there. He had no family there, never worked there, and the bank handling the estate (and the one he was V.P. of trust) is a large bank here in PA. I researched on the web and the bank does have 2 branchs in Florida. I know for a fact he did nothing with his will or appointed any bank in Florida to handle his estate. He did everthing threw the bank he worked at and retired from.

All the edititing I have done on any of my post was for spelling or to add to it. I have not removed anything. I would love to go back and edit my first post, I have some horrible sounding things in it. But I am not here to play games, so I am leaving as is. You might be confusing me saying in the first post :
My son who is 7 years old has inheritated 80,000 from an old friend of mine. I always believed while he was alive that I was getting the inheritance, it was a shock to me to find it was in my son's name. This friend of mine lived in another state and only met my son once when he was 10 months old.
I never said what state, I didn't think it was relivent.
My friend would come back and forth between states, he did die in Florida and his body was brought here. Pa's online stuff is difficult. Did you read that link I sent you? They put the pa law in words I was even able to understand. Hence my ignorance.

BlondiePB

For this very reason, is why I won't open the PM. I can assure you that Florida has nothing to do with this. He only had a vacation home there, he did zero buisness there. He had no family there, never worked there, and the bank handling the estate (and the one he was V.P. of trust) is a large bank here in PA. I researched on the web and the bank does have 2 branchs in Florida. I know for a fact he did nothing with his will or appointed any bank in Florida to handle his estate. He did everthing threw the bank he worked at and retired from.

All the edititing I have done on any of my post was for spelling or to add to it. I have not removed anything. I would love to go back and edit my first post, I have some horrible sounding things in it. But I am not here to play games, so I am leaving as is. You might be confusing me saying in the first post :
I never said what state, I didn't think it was relivent.
My friend would come back and forth between states, he did die in Florida and his body was brought here. Pa's online stuff is difficult. Did you read that link I sent you? They put the pa law in words I was even able to understand. Hence my ignorance.
Since the deceased had a vacation home in FL, probate had to be opened in FL also and other info. This is a FL state requirement that anyone who owns property in FL, regardless of their state/country of residence must probate the property located in FL in FL.

As for receiving harassing PM's, post them right here on the thread telling the poster not to send you any more PM's. Heck, I'll even back you up on this with those that send you harassing PM's. You may also be able to block that member using the block feature.

I'm doing some paperwork due to pending deadlines to meet and have this thread activated for notification. Thus, I can get back here relatively fast.

anteater

How did you expect perople to interpret "lived in another state"? And after many of 57 posts batted back and forth the question of juridiction, you finally decide to reveal where the primary probate is taking place?

The PA statutes are not that difficult to understand. Here is Title 20, Chapter 53:

http://members.aol.com/DKM1/20.Cp.53.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">