• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

am i the one to control my son's inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlondiePB

How did you expect perople to interpret "lived in another state"? And after many of 57 posts batted back and forth the question of juridiction, you finally decide to reveal where the primary probate is taking place?

The PA statutes are not that difficult to understand. Here is Title 20, Chapter 53:

http://members.aol.com/DKM1/20.Cp.53.html
Though I didn't read all that, there's still problems here ant, which is what I've been saying all along. It's the governing document that overrides anything that the decedant stated in his will.

Furthermore, we don't know if the decedent opened a bank account in FL. That pays an important factor here, which is why sending info to another state (i.e. FL) , appears to be the state that may have the ultimate control over the inheritance money.

You & I both know it won't take long for me to get to the bottom of all this.

leelisa

Blondie, I did say "vaction home" but my friend lived in an apartment. I did say that he owend a home here in PA though. My hubby said that when he died his family went down and claimed everything he had in the apartment. He doesn't believe that Florida ever even new the existence of him, other than the property manager of his complex.
My hubby insist that Florida has nothing to do with this. Not saying he knows everything that is going on with this inheritance though.

Anteater, I don't recall anyone asking the jurisdiction, and if so I may not of understood at the time what was being asked. I am learning and understanding things more and more everyday about how wills and inheritance are handled. In fact my hubby says I am obsessed and he is starting to feel neglected, with all my research and all the time I am spending on this forum. I love to learn and this is one area I have never touched until now.
So sorry, I was never trying to make this situation more complicated than it needed to be.
I have gone to that site you gave and my head is spinning with all the legal language that is used in it. Some of it was understandable to me. Thanks for the effort.

leelisa

I don't remember saying I sent info. to another state. If I did that is not what happend I sent it about 15 miles from my house. I just went back and read all my post this is the only one, besides the one from today, that mentions anything about sending in paper work:

First off let me explain that my friend died 2 1/2 years ago and now the bank is begining to dispurse the monies. The lady I spoke with at the bank is the V.P. that replaced my friend in the trust department and also the executor, executrix. (I think the bank is both) I guess because the wording of the will says " Payments may be made to the person having custody of the minor without liability on the part of the guardian or my executrix to see to the application of said payments by the payee".
I have gone and opened the UTMA account and sent all info. needed back to the other bank. Now I sit and wait for them to wire the money.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by leelisa : 06-14-2007 at 10:46 AM.
My edit was within 7 minutes of me posting it. I just said the "other bank" I opened the UTMA account at the bank I use.

BlondiePB

Blondie, I did say "vaction home" but my friend lived in an apartment. I did say that he owend a home here in PA though. My hubby said that when he died his family went down and claimed everything he had in the apartment. He doesn't believe that Florida ever even new the existence of him, other than the property manager of his complex.
My hubby insist that Florida has nothing to do with this. Not saying he knows everything that is going on with this inheritance though.
FL knew of his existence. He died in FL, thus, the death certificate was issued from FL. If the apartment was homesteaded, the state knows about that too. The last time I checked, all it takes to be a resident of FL: 1) is residing in FL for 1 year [he was in FL year-round for 4 years], 2) obtaining a FL, driver's license, 3), employment.

Because FL does not have state income tax, FL wants all monies due to them via probate. What's the harm in here in me finding out any info in FL? You can send me your email address via PM and then disable the feature if you don't want to keep PM's enabled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">