• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

an $800.00 question- please help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

moburkes

abaga said:
So, what does your check from Geico 18 months ago have to do with your December (2005?) mortgage payment?? If you had your car fixed with the insurance money, then I don't get it...what does that have to do with your mortgage?

I think the OP is simply saying that they had at least $800 in their bank account on the date their bank removed the funds....and that this money was to be used to pay the upcoming mortgage. Just extra information that didn't really apply to the subject at hand, but he provided anyway. That's all.

confuzzled

I appreciate all of your responses. Thank you. By the way, I am a She.. not a He :)

morburkes is correct with the last post. It was $800.00 that was taken out of my account.

The bank (leinholder) on the check was not the same bank as the one I had my checking out account with.

abaga- you said that your bank does not deposit checks if not properly endorsed. What, if anything, do you guys do if/when you guys did make an error & deposited it anyways?

Thanks again.

seniorjudge

confuzzled said:
I appreciate all of your responses. Thank you. By the way, I am a She.. not a He :)

morburkes is correct with the last post. It was $800.00 that was taken out of my account.

The bank (leinholder) on the check was not the same bank as the one I had my checking out account with.

abaga- you said that your bank does not deposit checks if not properly endorsed. What, if anything, do you guys do if/when you guys did make an error & deposited it anyways?

Thanks again.
What, if anything, do you guys do if/when you guys did make an error & deposited it anyways?

Some of those responding may be shes and not hes.

Anyway, banks obviously make mistakes.

How they correct is mistake is by doing what they did to you.

They should not have accepted it for deposit to begin with. But bank tellers are (I have heard) human beings who make mistakes.

abaga

confuzzled said:

Thanks again.
Much of it depends on if the receiving bank catches it or if the company that issued the check catches it, which is what I suspect with Geico. Sometimes, the checks will go through without issue, but as in your case, it can be picked up.

It is unfortunate, but we try to explain to customers what can happen if the check is not endorsed properly. Even with the explanation, we get yelled at.

I know the Gov't can come back three years later and return a check for whatever the reason.

Also, remember, putting "FOR DEPOSIT ONLY" as an endorsement is NOT an endorsement...it is an instruction only. Always sign the back of the check with your name.

abaga

seniorjudge said:
What, if anything, do you guys do if/when you guys did make an error & deposited it anyways?

Some of those responding may be shes and not hes.

Anyway, banks obviously make mistakes.

How they correct is mistake is by doing what they did to you.

They should not have accepted it for deposit to begin with. But bank tellers are (I have heard) human beings who make mistakes.
We are human beings?? WOW! Thanks! I thought we were, but you've helped confirm that for me :D

Seriously, we do make mistakes....as SJ said, we are human. However, people don't seem to think tellers know what they are doing. They have to hear it from a Manager...even myself, as a Teller Manager, they don't always believe me.

S

shell007

So...what if the check did NOT say AND?

Doesn't someone still owe the OP 800.00 for the repairs to her vehicle. They took the money back because of an error on endorsing the check, but doesn't someone have the obligation to try and correct this?

moburkes

shellandty said:
So...what if the check did NOT say AND?

Doesn't someone still owe the OP 800.00 for the repairs to her vehicle. They took the money back because of an error on endorsing the check, but doesn't someone have the obligation to try and correct this?
Yes and no. The OP screwed up. Not GEICO, not the bank (well, they did, but they corrected their mistake, unfortunately, they didn't find out until 1 1/2 years later, which screwed up his money). That's why another poster and myself suggested that he call GEICO (claims dept, by the way, or the accounting dept) and ask if they can help him get this fixed real fast. He should also get a hold of the leinholder, because they need to endorse the check too.

stephenk

I think the poster said the car is gone. Geico should reissue the check in the insured's name. The poster should contact her bank and get whatever information Geico sent to the bank to get the money withdrawn from the account. Then contact Geico to get the check reissued.

confuzzled

thanks again all for your reponses. As I said, this all happened a year ago. I no longer have Geico insurance or the car. I recently had to file for bankruptcy and the car was repossessed by the bank.

I don't see why Geico would even give me any information or another check since I no longer own the car. Even if they did issue me another check- I don't see the bank endorsing it since they took the car back.

sighss....

confuzzled

mrmass said:
How come I exactly knew what the OP would say next.....

which was...???? if you are referring to the bankruptcy- you could have not known. I am not proud of filing but I had no choice.

A year and a half ago, I never thought I'd have to file, nor lose my car. This all did not happen at the same time you.

If you are going to make comments such as that, please elaborate.

thank you.

S

shell007

So...could it be then that the bank withdrew this $800.00 because the car was reposessed and this $800.00 went to the bank to help cover some of their loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">