• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Applications lied on and Denied!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Did not lie, just looking for a way to confirm they are calling. Calling the recruiter will just look more suspicious.
This happened to you just the one time, on one application?

Why do you think your roommate would want to sabotage your efforts to find a job?

There are ways to trace calls but there probably is no inexpensive way for you to find out if your roommate called the recruiter if neither the recruiter nor your roommate volunteers this information.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
***Update***
I also forgot to state that the recruiter reach out initially stating I would be a good fit, to then turn around two days later saying they are moving forward with other candidates.
That's not unusual.

BTW - it's usually a not-too-brilliant idea to use your real name on such boards (as it appears you did down the street).

Bali Hai Again

I disagree. If I received a call from someone saying they know the applicant and that they have lied on the resume I’m putting them a couple spots back in the long list of applicants.
As a former hiring manger for over 44 years, that worked closely with HR during the selection process, I can tell you that you don’t know what you are talking about. HR would NEVER do, or let me do what you are suggesting. If your qualifications meet the minimum requirements you will likely be interviewed in person and if considered for the position HR will conduct a reference and background check. We don’t make or receive random calls from the peanut gallery during the process. The unsolicited call from from anyone outside that process would be forgotten as soon as the call ended.

Stop being paranoid and continue your search.

Reactions: cbg

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What you describe is SOP. You surely don't think you were the only "good fit" candidate, do you? And "we're moving forward with other candidates" or "in a different direction" are the standard responses to those candidates who fell below the cut-off line when they moved to the next level.

quincy

That's not unusual.

BTW - it's usually a not-too-brilliant idea to use your real name on such boards (as it appears you did down the street).
When there is one real name, others connected to that person can be easily identified. It is especially foolish to falsely accuse identified or identifiable people of crimes. Currently in the news are several defamation cases demonstrating nicely how valuable reputations can be.

lawGuy

This happened to you just the one time, on one application?

Why do you think your roommate would want to sabotage your efforts to find a job?

There are ways to trace calls but there probably is no inexpensive way for you to find out if your roommate called the recruiter if neither the recruiter nor your roommate volunteers this information.
I seen him on my laptop after we applied to a couple of the same companies. Just wanted to be certain, I thought I could get a call log somehow and see if I see if I see his number pop up.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I seen him on my laptop after we applied to a couple of the same companies. Just wanted to be certain, I thought I could get a call log somehow and see if I see if I see his number pop up.
Why do you think a recruiter would give you their call log?

quincy

You might want to discuss all of this with an attorney in your area.

Without evidence of wrongdoing, you are unlikely to get a subpoena. You potentially could have a forensic examination of your laptop but I doubt you will discover anything that connects your roommate to the recruiter. And the costs of pursuing what is likely to be an exercise in futility hardly seems worth it.

Your best options appear to be to find a new roommate (one you trust), better secure your electronic devices, and start your job search anew.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Short of a subpoena, you are not going to be given access to anyone's call log assuming they even keep them beyond x number of days. You're not going to get a subpoena based on what we have here. And even if you were to somehow manage to prove that your roommate called and accused you of falsifying your resume, that still doesn't prove in any way, shape or form that it was his phone call AND NOTHING ELSE that lost you the job.

Just because you believe that HR would immediately drop you from consideration on getting a phone call from an unknown individual making unproven accusations doesn't mean your belief has any basis in reality.

Talk to an attorney if it will make you feel better but realistically, you'd be throwing your money away.

quincy

You never answered this question: Why would your roommate want to sabotage your attempts at getting a job?

lawGuy

You never answered this question: Why would your roommate want to sabotage your attempts at getting a job?
I think you missed my post earlier. Me and my roommate applied to a few companies that were the same. I seen him on my computer for a second as well, got up as soon as I was entering my room.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">