• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Applying for a Driver's License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
How will the op get an NJ license in a state he does not reside in? If there are complications beyond the request of an abstract then the op will need a lawyer.
In his case he has to get his driving privilege restored, not an actual license.

Even if he were to magically get an SC license he wouldn't be permitted to drive in NJ if his privilege was still suspended/revoked.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The scary thing is that they would consider allowing the OP to even own a car as he obviously can't be trusted with one.
Ownership does not equate with operating the vehicle. Lots of people own cars that they themselves never drive. It is not illegal for an unlicensed person to own a car. He/she just can't drive it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I've totally misunderstood the OP's intent. The OP actually is eligible to get his license back, so he's no longer under suspension. He CAN get an SC license, he just doesn't want his conviction to follow him to new employers.
It would still be perjury for the OP to lie on his application.

Ownership does not equate with operating the vehicle. Lots of people own cars that they themselves never drive. It is not illegal for an unlicensed person to own a car. He/she just can't drive it.
Lots of people own guns, but if they show just once that they can't be trusted with one they are all confiscated, and they can't buy or own one in the future.
Why is it not the same for a 3000 pound missile?

HighwayMan

Not necessarily. His suspension/revocation period is over - but he likely still has to at least pay some sort of fee to get his privilege restored.

HighwayMan

The OP actually is eligible to get his license back, so he's no longer under suspension.
NJ mandates a $100 suspension/revocation termination fee. Until that is paid his privilege remains suspended/revoked. There may also be additional fees related to his convictions.

lilal74717

Thanks everyone. I have fulfilled all my legal obligations fines & such. I am eligible to get my license back. Was just wondering if I could start clean in SC where I live & not attach my NJ driving recored to it. I guess that's not possible? Also I hear that there are 4 states not liked to DMV Michigan, Tennessee, Georgia Wisconsin. Maybe it would be possible there?

Just Blue

Thanks everyone. I have fulfilled all my legal obligations fines & such. I am eligible to get my license back. Was just wondering if I could start clean in SC where I live & not attach my NJ driving recored to it. I guess that's not possible? Also I hear that there are 4 states not liked to DMV Michigan, Tennessee, Georgia Wisconsin. Maybe it would be possible there?
Your record is yours to keep for ever. No matter where you live. As it should be.

Zigner

Without looking, I'd be a week's salary that all states are substantially the same when it comes to asking for information (under penalty of perjury) on licenses in other jurisdictions.

FlyingRon

As I pointed out earlier, ALL STATES participate in the NDR. The DLC is not an issue here. No state should issue to you if you're still marked as "NOT ELIGIBLE" in another state. You're going to have to jump through whatever hoops NJ wants to clear the flag in the NDR before anybody will consider issuance.

Zigner

As I pointed out earlier, ALL STATES participate in the NDR. The DLC is not an issue here. No state should issue to you if you're still marked as "NOT ELIGIBLE" in another state. You're going to have to jump through whatever hoops NJ wants to clear the flag in the NDR before anybody will consider issuance.
The OP doesn't have a problem with eligibility. The OP simply wants to be able to lie about his past by creating a "new" record for himself so he can then lie to employers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">