• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are fictitious inventions protected in a copyrighted screenplay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

It's possible.

The prop from the movie will need to be compared with the description of the device in your screenplay to determine if the prop can be viewed as a derivative work.
I am noticing some of those kind of answers online. While I do not have the screenplay currently in front of me, I can say that this technology was something presented as being very specific and usual. I mean it is not a matchbox that shoots laser beams or a purple bat with a rusty nail protruding from it.

quincy

Is it possible that an IP attorney will notice this thread and reply?
No IP attorney will contact you. You will need to search out an attorney in your area and make an appointment with the attorney for a review.

Your screenplay will need to be read and compared to the prop. We do not offer personal reviews on this forum. Sorry.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">