• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrest Warrant for Chargeback

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He accepted a plea deal. So yes, he broke the law. He admitted it by actually paying the money.
He didn't actually accept a plea deal. He paid in exchange for the charges being dropped. In other words, he settled the matter, and that might actually hurt him in any future civil suit he files.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He didn't actually accept a plea deal. He paid in exchange for the charges being dropped. In other words, he settled the matter, and that might actually hurt him in any future civil suit he files.
The charges were dismissed because he paid. That is a deal. Be it a plea or not -- he made a deal. Thus admitting he should have paid because he agreed to pay.

Zigner

The charges were dismissed because he paid. That is a deal. Be it a plea or not -- he made a deal. Thus admitting he should have paid because he agreed to pay.
Yes, I agree with you that it's a deal (settle the matter in exchange for the criminal charges being dropped), but I don't think it was a "plea deal" because he didn't plea to a lesser charge.
Like I said, though, since this was, in essence, a settlement, I suspect any civil suit may run into problems.

quincy

Yes, I agree with you that it's a deal (settle the matter in exchange for the criminal charges being dropped), but I don't think it was a "plea deal" because he didn't plea to a lesser charge.
Like I said, though, since this was, in essence, a settlement, I suspect any civil suit may run into problems.
It sounds to me as if it was a conditional discharge, which means that the charge would be reinstated if the condition (paying the $750) was not met.

Not that it really matters now. :)

Jomo1 was able to avoid a criminal charge and now can concentrate on getting a $300 refund/reimbursement - if not by the store owner voluntarily paying the repair bill then through a civil action where Jomo1 could be awarded the $300.

Zigner

It sounds to me as if it was a conditional discharge, which means that the charge would be reinstated if the condition (paying the $750) was not met.

Not that it really matters now. :)

Jomo1 was able to avoid a criminal charge and now can concentrate on getting a $300 refund/reimbursement - if not by the store owner voluntarily paying the repair bill then through a civil action where Jomo1 could be awarded the $300.
It could be but I have a feeling that once the payment was made, they no longer had a complaining witness, thus they no longer had a case.

quincy

It could be but I have a feeling that once the payment was made, they no longer had a complaining witness, thus they no longer had a case.
It was only when the conditions of the agreement for discharge were met, that the criminal charge was dismissed. The prosecutor offered the deal and Jomo1 (wisely, in my opinion) accepted the deal.

It was only Jomo1’s agreement to pay the store owner $750, and his subsequent payment of the $750, that the first degree misdemeanor theft charge (potential 5 years/$10,000) was discharged and dismissed. The charge could have been pursued by the prosecutor (with outcome at trial unknown) but I assume that the agreement offered by the prosecutor was amenable to the store owner.

Litigator22

Just because one accepts a plea deal doesn't mean they are guilty. Even the federal government agrees with this.
The charges against me were dropped so how did I admit any guilt.
Besides, only a judge/jury can find you guilty or if you plead guilty. Neither happened to me.
It is indeed remarkable that you were able to go from receiving a warrant of arrest out of Lancaster, PA; the fulfillment or waiver of the protracted extradition processes; deal with the issuance and service of a NY Governor's warrant; select, consult and hire a Pennsylvania criminal defense attorney; complete various journeys to and from Lancaster; appear for criminal arraignment in Pennsylvania with the setting of an appearance bond; undergo, trial preparation, trial scheduling, jury selection if requested: appear at a trial, negotiate with Lancaster County district attorney; etc., all within the short span of 20 working days! (5/5/23 to 6/2/23)

(Normally that would take months and months if not years. You must have hired a legal magician and one so moved by your dilemma that he performed his act gratuitously.)

Last edited:

quincy

It is indeed remarkable that you were able to go from receiving a warrant of arrest out of Lancaster, PA; the fulfillment or waiver of the protracted extradition processes; deal with the issuance and service of a NY Governor's warrant; select, consult and hire a Pennsylvania criminal defense attorney; complete various journeys to and from Lancaster; appear for criminal arraignment in Pennsylvania with the setting of an appearance bond; undergo, trial preparation, trial scheduling, jury selection if requested: appear at a trial, negotiate with Lancaster County district attorney; etc., all within the short span of 20 working days! (5/5/23 to 6/2/23)

(Normally that would take months and months if not years. You must have hired a legal magician and one so moved by your dilemma that he performed his act gratuitously.)
We live in miraculous times, Litigator.

Jomo1

The court decided when my 1st appearance was to be held. After receiving that letter from the court, then I hired an attorney. I was allowed to be processed by the police after the court hearing. They claimed that they didn't want me to have to make two trips to Lancaster. What nice people!

quincy

The court decided when my 1st appearance was to be held. After receiving that letter from the court, then I hired an attorney. I was allowed to be processed by the police after the court hearing. They claimed that they didn't want me to have to make two trips to Lancaster. What nice people!
You were lucky.

Litigator22

The court (?) decided when my 1st appearance was to be held. (?) After receiving that letter from the court, then I hired an attorney. I was allowed to be processed by the police after the court hearing. (?)
What Court decided when . . . ?

Your 1st (court) appearance in what court and where?

What means "that" letter" and from what court?

Why would you be "processed by the police after the court hearing" when we are told (6/5/23) that the charges were dropped?

MY goodness how your lies continue to mount as one leads to another.

Oh, what a tangled web we weave/When first we practice to deceive." (Sir Walter Scott's "A Tale of Flodden Field" - on the entrapment effects of lying.)

quincy

Why would you be "processed by the police after the court hearing" when we are told (6/5/23) that the charges were dropped?

Oh, what a tangled web we weave/When first we practice to deceive." (Sir Walter Scott's "A Tale of Flodden Field" - on the entrapment effects of lying.)
It does appear that Jomo1’s timeline needs a bit of tweaking, huh? ;)

The Lancaster County Court schedule dates don’t quite work out as described. Even if everything was expedited, it appears to me as if June 9 would have been the earliest date available for a preliminary hearing.

Jomo1

First, I am not a lawyer and as a result do not know what was done by whom.
My court appearance was in Lancaster County Magisterial Court District 02-3-01 at 424 South Angle Street, Mount Joy, PA
That Letter: Commonwealth of PA, County of Lancaster.
processed by the police after the court hearing: I was arrested and needed to be processed. I have no idea who made the decision to let me be processed after the court hearing. All I know is that part of what I received from the court said that I had to call the Manheim Boro police department to arrange to be processed. I was told by the police they would be doing that after my hearing. I assumed if the matter was settled at this hearing that I would not be processed, but I was wrong.
My lies? I will be posting the letters I got in a few minutes.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">