• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At 17, how would I move out of my house in MO to GF's mothers house in MA? Legally.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoard

Both of yoru parents would have to consent. Hope they are cool with having a teen Dad for a son. I wouldn't be.
Number ONE, that is a complete fallacy. You assume that because it is possible for me to get a girl pregnant, that I will. All you are doing is poisoning the well. As well as personally attacking me, you are bringing up irrelevant information. I wanted to know how to pass on legal guardianship to a person who would be my caretaker.
Secondly, both of my parents would NOT have to consent for me to move out. I am of legal age to do so, at least in my state. The only problem is convincing my mother to pass on guardianship, but that would be easily achieved by presenting the need for it if I do move there. My parents would not bar me from moving out. But they wouldn't much assist me, either.

If her mother adopted you, you would be siblings in the eyes of the law, meaning you could never marry her. Why can't you grasp that premise?
To begin, I would like to state that the solution has been drawn to simply pass on legal guardianship. That would not legally make us related. Also, to say that I could never marry her, is ignorant. It is a decision of the state.

http://lawschool.westlaw.com/Quick/famlaw.asp
4. ADOPTED RELATIVES. [�42]

Many states include within a consanguinity statute a prohibition against marriage with a relative by adoption. Where the statute is silent, a court may construe a consanguinity statute to include adopted relatives in light of the strong state interest in treating adopted children the same as natural children.

5. ADOPTED RELATIVES � CONSTITUTIONAL PROBLEM. [�43]

An argument may be made that inclusion of adopted relatives within the consanguinity ban may violate the adopted person's right to marry under the due process clause or may create a classification violative of the equal protection clause. Since there is no blood relationship between relations by adoption who desire to marry, the state interest in preventing genetic problems in their offspring does not apply. However, the state may still have an interest in promoting family harmony by such a prohibition.

a. Example. An adopted brother and sister, who were not related to each other by blood, were refused a marriage license because state law included adoptive relations within the ban on consanguineous marriages. The Colorado Supreme Court held that the prohibition violated the adopted siblings' rights to equal protection because of the absence of physical detriment to any offspring. Nor does the statute further the state interest in family harmony, since family harmony in this case would be served by allowing the marriage, which was approved by the adoptive parents and their church (See Case Squibs section, Israel v. Allen).
FURTHER,
When you enter the Marine Corps, you are not going to be able to argue these little technicalities. As a matter of fact, if you run away and have to get the police involved, the Marines may not even take you.
I completely concur. You assume FAR TO MUCH. Where is your source? Why do you think that police would have any authority in this situation?
Tell me, are you in the least knowledgeable about Missouri state law? In many states, including my own, at the age of 17 neither parents nor police have the authority to retrieve a person post departure of their residence. Juvenile Courts, Chapter 211, Sect: 211-021 covers more of this. I would not be considered a runaway, and my parents have already agreed that they would not pursue me.
And, to top it all off... What do you know of the Marine Corps? I will be swearing in by the end of this month. And even if the police did become involved, what makes you think that I would be prosecuted?
Please, tell me, why would I not be able to argue technicalities? You are not my superior commander, and have not proven to me that you know anything about the Marines.
You are making claims without logical proof. I understand that if I did anything -illegal- and was prosecuted for it in court, that my military career could possibly be tarnished. But, in my state, it is not illegal.

CURRENTLY STANDING QUESTIONS:
  • How would my mother go about transferring parental guardianship?
  • Do my state laws regarding moving out hold when I leave state? For how long?

Why such personal attacks? This is a question of manipulation. How might I manipulate the law in order to achieve what I want.
This is not a question of will I or won't I impregnate someone, nor my moral or ethical beliefs, nor my parents responsibilities. This is not a question of "would we be sisters."
This is a question of... what is the safest way for me to live with my girlfriend's mother, granting her the ability to make medical decisions on my behalf should I be unable, and protecting her from being sued by my insurance companies in the case of an accident.

Hoard

What's so terrible about your own home that you can't go on living there until you're 18?
That is not the problem, Eek. My home life is just fine. The concern I have is that I have one more year of being a civilian. After this, I will be told where to go, what to eat, what to do- and comply. This is my last year in the real world, where things are not handed to me by the military. I want to spend this year with freedom.

Please, do not reply telling me that I will have other responsibilities, I know this. I want to spend one year doing as I wish to develop responsibility and self reliance. I will be paying rent for the room in my gf's parents house.

Let me remind everyone, once again, this is not an ethical dilemma, this is a legal dilemma.

Hoard

Of course, that does not hold true in MA, and the cops here would have no restrictions on picking him up here.
Good to know, is that true, however? It would require the request of my parents, however- correct?
They would have no intentions of retrieving me, as I would no longer be welcome to live in their house, and they don't seem intent on screwing me over.
But, that is interesting information.

Banned_Princess

who would be providing your health benefits?

why cant you make your own health decisions, and if you are unable, have GF mom, call your mom.

don't plan to sue your gf's mom (no matter what) and she wont need to worry about civil action against her.

Your mom and dad can go to MA, file a guardianship to GF's mom to sign you into school. its the only real problem you have in this sitution.

Hoard

who would be providing your health benefits?

why cant you make your own health decisions, and if you are unable, have GF mom, call your mom.

don't plan to sue your gf's mom (no matter what) and she wont need to worry about civil action against her.

Your mom and dad can go to MA, file a guardianship to GF's mom to sign you into school. its the only real problem you have in this sitution.
I can't thank you enough :) I'll see about doing just that! Just the answer I needed.
ALSO, the VA already gives me some health care benifits. I will have to review my health insurance information, but I'm pretty certain I'll be fine.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
MA cops are not bound by MO laws. Whether they WOULD apprehend you or not, with or without a parental request, I can't say. But once you leave the state of MO, MO law no longer applies. You can only rely on MO law to get your own way, as long as you are within the MO state line.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Oh, and just another word on health insurance; In MA it's mandatory. And it's not cheap.

I have a question, and maybe you already answered it but if you did I missed it.

Okay, so you're going through all this hullabaloo, and looking for loopholes in laws, so that you can "enjoy your only year as a civilian" before the military takes over your life.

So, why did you join the military in the first place? It's not mandatory any more. And you don't have to stay in forever even if you do.

Hoard

Oh, and just another word on health insurance; In MA it's mandatory. And it's not cheap.

I have a question, and maybe you already answered it but if you did I missed it.

Okay, so you're going through all this hullabaloo, and looking for loopholes in laws, so that you can "enjoy your only year as a civilian" before the military takes over your life.

So, why did you join the military in the first place? It's not mandatory any more. And you don't have to stay in forever even if you do.
Haha. I love the military, to be honest. I scored extremely high on my ASVAB, and I qualify for -VERY- good positions, which I don't think I should be naming on here.
I love the financial security, the job I'll have, the retirement age, the honor, duty, respect, and pride I would gain. I honestly think I would love my job.
I'll get to see the world, experience exciting new things, and all the while, save all of my money.
The military pays for your housing, your food, your insurance, your transportation... everything. I could save up all my money towards retirement. Which would be at 38, or, now days, 33. Pretty fantastic.
I want to stay in forever. I really, truly, honestly do. Which is why this one year of transition is important to me... I want to flex every ounce of freedom I have. I only have one more year of being a kid, you know?
ALSO, I think the VA pays for my medical insurance. My parents certainly don't.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, be sure you find out for sure if the VA will pay for your health insurance during your "transition year" because you'll be fined by the state if you don't.

Hoard

Where do you get the idea that you can go where you want at 17?

http://law.findlaw.com/state-laws/minors-and-the-law/missouri/
Because, it's common knowledge in my state. My step father is Captain of the Police Dept here in my town, and knows more than I do. Also, Juvenile officers in my area are knowledgeable on the subject. I'm not sure exactly what makes it legal for a 17 year old to move out at my age, but I know that it is.
If everything was in black and white, it would be much easier.
Regardless, my parents won't pursue me-- or so they claim-- if I move out.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Because, it's common knowledge in my state. My step father is Captain of the Police Dept here in my town, and knows more than I do. Also, Juvenile officers in my area are knowledgeable on the subject. I'm not sure exactly what makes it legal for a 17 year old to move out at my age, but I know that it is.
If everything was in black and white, it would be much easier.
Regardless, my parents won't pursue me-- or so they claim-- if I move out.
If they CHOOSE to pursue, they can. If they do not agree, they can file a criminal complaint against the adults who are harboring their child.

And that it is across state lines makes it FEDERAL.

Hoard

Well, be sure you find out for sure if the VA will pay for your health insurance during your "transition year" because you'll be fined by the state if you don't.
Where do you get the idea that you can go where you want at 17?

http://law.findlaw.com/state-laws/minors-and-the-law/missouri/

Also, Juvenile law defines an "Adult" as a person seventeen years of age or older.
So other laws supposedly tie into this, giving 17yo's in my state that ability.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Also, Juvenile law defines an "Adult" as a person seventeen years of age or older.
So other laws supposedly tie into this, giving 17yo's in my state that ability.
You are confusing age for criminal sanctions versus family law. Two different beasts.

And yes, they could haul your tush back to Missouri if they so choose.

You speak of a stepfather. WHere is your father?

Hoard

You are confusing age for criminal sanctions versus family law. Two different beasts.

And yes, they could haul your tush back to Missouri if they so choose.

You speak of a stepfather. WHere is your father?
^ Which is why I was unsure about, you know, living outside of the state at 17.

My father passed away in 2008, due to causes related to his tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. Which is why the VA gives me medical. The only person who has legal guardianship of me, as far as I am aware, is my mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">