• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Awol age 17

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arcvile311

What is the name of your state? TEXAS, Fort Hood.

I joined the Army two years after turning 17, with parental consent of course. Completed basic training, and AIT. 5 weeks after being stationed at Fort Hood, I went AWOL. that was March. It's now almost August. I am looking to see if anyone knows about discharges because I was not a legal adult at time of going AWOL. I've contacted the GI Rights hotline. They don't know how to help.

Thanks.

fozzy2

I'm assuming that "two years" after turning 17 was a typo, and that you went AWOL before you reached the age of 18. If you are looking for a discharge, you are in the same boat as other AWOL soldiers.

You most probably are, indeed, a "legal adult." The odds are that when you reported for active duty you became an "emancipated minor." You can try and use your age as a mitigating factor, or perhaps persuade the military that you enlisted under coercion from your parents. But you are not legally owed any preferential treatment because of your age.

badapple40

You could try arguing that you are repudiating the contract upon your turning 18, and seeing how far that gets you.

SHORTY LONG

24 JULY 06

Well Troop, looks as you got your 6 in a slang! As Fozzy2 & Badapple40 had shared with you, you can try but chances are next to none. You have now enetered into a "constructive enlistment" like it or not! Personally, I would step up to the plate and do the right thing, that is, report ASAP and if nothing else, request a transfer to another duty station! For, if you have not done so already, you should spend a few minutes and view postings and replies in this Military Forum about what happens to your life if you continue the status you are now in. Look at the most recent posting from Col. Badapple40 which he shared the lifelong stigma and consequences from one who was court martialed for "AWOL." If you are to far away from your duty station, go to the nearest Military Installation and turn your self in; or, to any Armed Forces Recruting Station!

kwohl

not tradoc

well you will need to report to your duty station. you can't really go the ft.sill route because you reported to your permanent duty station and stayed there for over a month. so it will be up to ft.hood as to whether or not they court martial you, chances are nothing too bad will happen to you, probably a chapter 10. just remember turn yourself in and you save yourself from being a deserter, you don't want to get hauled in there in handcuffs. don't let others get to you, you have your whole life ahead of you, just step up to the plate, get it over with, and go do something good with your life.

-kevin

arcvile311

that's the thing

I've been speaking with people from my unit since being gone. Even my squad leader, an E-5. He tells me that if I come back they will not let me out and there is no chance of me even going to a court martial. He has told me the 1SG is going to article 15 me and keep me in with no chance of getting out, even after what I've done. Can they prevent me from court martial? If they won't chapter me the easy route, I want to go to court martial.

kwohl

noooo

YOU DO NOT WANT A COURTS MARTIAL. You have the right to a courts martial but trust me you dont want it! They are not nice! If they actually let you come back with just an article 15 I'd say take it and just finish your time in the service if you can--don't know why you went AWOL whether because of the war, because you were depressed, or what else, if they let you stay then stay, but if they give you the option of getting out then take it. Just the bottom line is people do time and get bad discharges from a courts martial and thats pretty much a given.

arcvile311 said:
I've been speaking with people from my unit since being gone. Even my squad leader, an E-5. He tells me that if I come back they will not let me out and there is no chance of me even going to a court martial. He has told me the 1SG is going to article 15 me and keep me in with no chance of getting out, even after what I've done. Can they prevent me from court martial? If they won't chapter me the easy route, I want to go to court martial.

fozzy2

Do you need to be reminded that the maximum penalty for desertion during time of war is - Death? True, hasn't been carried out since poor Eddie Slovak, but that should give you some idea of the kind of sh*t you may find yourself in should you refuse NJP and demand a court martial. If you get a court martial you likely won't get "out", but rather "in" as in "in jail/prison." The military has been tightening its enforcement of AWOL/desertion and you almost certainly do not want to become a poster boy. Make sure you talk to an attorney about possible maximum penalties before you do anything rash.

EThiker

turn yourself in SOON!

Once again Fozzy shows his smarts and ditto for Kwol. Both have given you good advice. If you can get through this situation with just an article 15 and then ultimately complete your enlistment with an Honorable discharge (providing you only have this one incident during this period of service) you would be doing yourself some good.

There is a forum poster here on this site....and I won't call any names would could give you the "Long and Short" of it about going awol and then getting a Bad Conduct Discharge and how it will follow you "rest of your life."

Anyway, take the advice you have been given, you won't regret it. Call and talk with your command sergeant and plead for mercy and tell them you want come back and take your punishment....but then be a better soldier!

T

thepizzaguy

fozzy2 said:
Do you need to be reminded that the maximum penalty for desertion during time of war is - Death? True, hasn't been carried out since poor Eddie Slovak, but that should give you some idea of the kind of sh*t you may find yourself in should you refuse NJP and demand a court martial. If you get a court martial you likely won't get "out", but rather "in" as in "in jail/prison." The military has been tightening its enforcement of AWOL/desertion and you almost certainly do not want to become a poster boy. Make sure you talk to an attorney about possible maximum penalties before you do anything rash.
Is it Eddie Slovak or Eddie Slovik?

SHORTY LONG

27 JULY 06

arcvile311, do you have a viable defense that is grounded, meaning something different then that, "you just want out?" and that you are SURE you will not be found guilty by the Court Martial? If not, then I suggest you step back and take a very long look as to where you think your life will be let's say in 5 years? For with anything less than full HONORABLE, you surely will be branded with a "badge of infamy!" And who is the largest "employer" in the world? Dah, the Government; and in some cases they are even involved in the private sector where the Company does business with them! Would you be willing to share with us in full truthfulness as to why you want out? Shorty

arcvile311 said:

Last edited:
go back brother

man ive been there, go back now while u can. this civilian world sux ass. yes u heard me right. if i could go back i wouldn have gone awol. i might hate bush for this ****ty 3.00 a gallon gas, but **** atleast there u have stabiblity (however u spell it ****). point is, dont do somethin u prob. will regret later man.

imafake702

Funny

runnin4freedom said:
man ive been there, go back now while u can. this civilian world sux ass. yes u heard me right. if i could go back i wouldn have gone awol. i might hate bush for this ****ty 3.00 a gallon gas, but **** atleast there u have stabiblity (however u spell it ****). point is, dont do somethin u prob. will regret later man.
Lmao I remember you got out somewhat around the time I got out... what do you mean civilian world sucks ass, you weren't saying that when your ass was begging to get out... and i'm pretty sure IF you could go back it would only take a month to want to get out again. Quit trying to scare the guy with the TURN YOURSELF IN NOW crap, let him decide, he wants advice, not your opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">