• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank account closed with 3k and they don’t want to give me a check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PayrollHRGuy

How is the use of a cpn fraud? I’m not ripping anyone off. I’m Not taking loans or opening lines of credit or utilities that I don’t plan on paying. I may be avoiding lots of taxes, certainly more than the 3k my Accountnow card had on it.
A CPN is not legal. Banks are required to have a Social Security Number, FEIN, or TIEN associate with every account.

Woolfork

I don't worry myself with silly rules or laws.

CPN numbers may not be the most legal thing to use, but consider the alternative... Some people will not do things in their own name and ssn for one reason or another. CPN's allow a person to do this without stealing an identity. There is no reason to use someone else's info to create accounts when a CPN number works, it eliminates effecting someone else.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I guess I'm hesitant to file a complaint because some of the accounts in question were created using a CPN number. Still no fraud, the money in the account is mine, but maybe a bit of tax evasion.
Banks in the U.S. must get an customer's taxpayer identification number (TIN) because it has an obligation to report the interest paid to the IRS. A CPN is not a TIN and does not meet the requirements. If you misrepresented to the bank that the CPN was your SSN or ITIN then you did indeed commit fraud to the bank along with the tax evasion you are committing. So you do have a problem, and the bank might sit on that $3,000 for a long time if you don't come clean and report your actual name and SSN to the bank so it can comply with federal law.

Federal tax evasion is a felony offense for which you can be sentenced up to 5 years in prison on each count. Typically each year is a separate count. You also end up paying all the tax you tried to evade along with a 75% fraud penalty and interest when you commit tax evasion. You better hope the IRS never catches up to you.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

CPN numbers may not be the most legal thing to use, but consider the alternative... Some people will not do things in their own name and ssn for one reason or another. CPN's allow a person to do this without stealing an identity. There is no reason to use someone else's info to create accounts when a CPN number works, it eliminates effecting someone else.
And to the extent you imply you'd be willing to steal someone else's identity to commit your tax evasion (and lord knows whatever else) if you didn't use the CPN, that's just reprehensible to do to someone else. If you ever do that, it is my sincere hope you end up in prison for a very long time.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I guess I'm hesitant to file a complaint because some of the accounts in question were created using a CPN number. Still no fraud, the money in the account is mine, but maybe a bit of tax evasion.
How is the use of a cpn fraud? I’m not ripping anyone off. I’m Not taking loans or opening lines of credit or utilities that I don’t plan on paying. I may be avoiding lots of taxes, certainly more than the 3k my Accountnow card had on it.
Tax evasion is a form of fraud, because you are defrauding the government.

PayrollHRGuy

But it clearly did not work for you. They have $3,000 of your money you can't and likely won't get without giving them a SSN.

And how do you know the CPN you got isn't someone else's number or won't be someday? It isn't like the government created it.

Woolfork

Worked for plenty long enough, besides I really don't think thats what caused the closer, I think it was due to much money being transacted threw the prepaid account.

PayrollHRGuy

Worked for plenty long enough, besides I really don't think thats what caused the closer, I think it was due to much money being transacted threw the prepaid account.
Nope. It may be the money that triggered further scrutiny but it was likely the CPN.

I set up pay cards for people every day. I get a report whenever they fail the Patriot Act requirements. It is usually just a typo but I find more illegal immigrants with fake IDs through that program than I do through E-Verify.

Woolfork

And how do you know the CPN you got isn't someone else's number or won't be someday? It isn't like the government created it.[/QUOTE]

There are checks that can be ran on a number to see if it has been issued to anyone.

There are 420 million numbers available for assignment as SSN's, The chances that a CPN number becomes an issued SSN are slim, but possible, yes.
Still less invasive than identity theft. I don't know what happens to the migrant workers that fail the Patriot Act requirements, but using a real US citizens info would help them avoid being detected, as long as the real person does not notice and make a big fuss about it.

PayrollHRGuy

There are checks that can be ran on a number to see if it has been issued to anyone.

There are 420 million numbers available for assignment as SSN's, The chances that a CPN number becomes an issued SSN are slim, but possible, yes.
Still less invasive than identity theft. I don't know what happens to the migrant workers that fail the Patriot Act requirements, but using a real US citizens info would help them avoid being detected, as long as the real person does not notice and make a big fuss about it.
Actually, there have been more than 450 million SS numbers issued, there is also some very large number of FEIN that have been issued and they are issuing new ones every day. Since there are about 1 billion SSNs and FEIN possible the chance of some random number 9 digit number being the same as a legally issued number is around 50% and getting smaller every day.

LdiJ

Actually, there have been more than 450 million SS numbers issued, there is also some very large number of FEIN that have been issued and they are issuing new ones every day. Since there are about 1 billion SSNs and FEIN possible the chance of some random number 9 digit number being the same as a legally issued number is around 50% and getting smaller every day.
It has happened however. A payroll service can transpose a number when data entering an SSN. It happened to a client of mine recently. A 70k W2 was showing up on their federal transcript, that wasn't theirs.

PayrollHRGuy

It has happened however. A payroll service can transpose a number when data entering an SSN. It happened to a client of mine recently. A 70k W2 was showing up on their federal transcript, that wasn't theirs.
Of course, it can happen 50% is pretty good odds that it will happen.

Woolfork

Sounds like the federal government needs a checker to see if the number they want to issue is already in use as a CPN or fake identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">