• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank error in my favor, advice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SP103

I can give an example of HOW this might have possibly happened. My employer changed banks. Along with checks, I had to change our merchant services to deposit into the new account. A PERSON tied our new merchant services to someone ELSE's account. So, I had someone behind the scenes moving the money as I caught it, but it took another department several months to figure out what had happened.

Boiled down to a CLERICAL typo. No fraud. No malice. Fixed. No longer care.
Good possible theory. I too thought maybe a person with the same account # listed on my ATM card with a different bank could have made a deposit at a Fleet ATM and the money went to me incorrectly.

Country Living

Sigh..... four years ago it was probably as simple as someone filling out a counter deposit slip and making a mistake on the account number.

Do I upload my resume and college degree to validate my advice?
No. What you do is give correct and consistent information. Most of the people who answer questions posted on this board have two to four degrees and many years of experience in their field.

This is evidently what you want.
1. You did a great thing by notifying the bank they put $4,000 in your account that wasn't yours.
2. Bad bank. They took back the money when they finally validated where it needed to go and they didn't have the courtesy to let you know they were doing it.
3. Bad bank. They closed your account and told you to get a lawyer if you wanted specific information on why they chose not to continue your doing business with them.
4. You have every right to have spent the last 1,460 days still trying to figure this out. I admire you for your tenacity. Most people would have gotten on with their lives.

There.... feel better?

SP103

Sigh..... four years ago it was probably as simple as someone filling out a counter deposit slip and making a mistake on the account number.

No. What you do is give correct and consistent information. Most of the people who answer questions posted on this board have two to four degrees and many years of experience in their field.

This is evidently what you want.
1. You did a great thing by notifying the bank they put $4,000 in your account that wasn't yours.
2. Bad bank. They took back the money when they finally validated where it needed to go and they didn't have the courtesy to let you know they were doing it.
3. Bad bank. They closed your account and told you to get a lawyer if you wanted specific information on why they chose not to continue your doing business with them.
4. You have every right to have spent the last 1,460 days still trying to figure this out. I admire you for your tenacity. Most people would have gotten on with their lives.

There.... feel better?
Sure do. They, the bank, actually closing the account was a relief on my end. I didn't want to close it with the error still there, in fear they would think I was intentionally trying to take the erroneous $4,000.
How do you validate the people's degrees on this forum?

I was hoping someone with experience would be able to give an answer of how this fiasco started in the first place. I guess seeing Fleet Bank was purchased by Bank of America for pennies on the dollar shortly after this incident should clue me in.. That the bank sucked huh?

Last edited:
Sure do. They, the bank, actually closing the account was a relief on my end. I didn't want to close it with the error still there, in fear they would think I was intentionally trying to take the erroneous $4,000.
How do you validate the people's degrees on this forum?

I was hoping someone with experience would be able to give an answer of how this fiasco started in the first place. I guess seeing Fleet Bank was purchased by Bank of America for pennies on the dollar shortly after this incident should clue me in.. That the bank sucked huh?
For four years you have been harping on a bank's clerical error???? SEriously, get a life.:rolleyes:

Antigone*

Don't respond if you have nothing to add. Now who needs a life?
SP you've gotten your advice - obviously you didn't care for what we had to day. You have nothing left to add to this thread and actually neither does anyone else here.

Somebody please put us out of our misery here and lock up this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">