• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a car with inheritance money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Of course it's absurd. Don't you recognize a joke when you see one? I wouldn't have thought anybody would have taken that comment seriously. smh
Sorry Jack, it didn't come across as a joke. You stated it as though it were fact. I doubt the OP would have gotten that it was a joke even two lawyers reading it (and who thus would know that your statement was wrong) didn't get that you weren't serious. So I'm throwing the BS flag on this one.

nalnk

Yet, here you are.
Give him the name of some attorneys.
If your brother is truly concerned that his wife will file for divorce immediately after he inherits, he can ask the (eventual) deceased to leave him his portion of the estate in a trust that pays him regular disbursements rather than taking a lump sum, with higher payouts for things like atypical medical expenses, and to name a trustee who will be willing to tell your SIL to take a long walk off a short pier if she fusses over it.
When my dad was alive, he and my mom updated the will... this is exactly what they did. My brother will receive a stipend. No-one trusts the wife.
There is also a "no-contest" clause that was added. My brother is unaware that the will is written like this. Lately, his wife has been after my brother to get info from my mother regarding the will and how it is written, who's in charge, etc. He never cared before but just in the past year or two... Hmmmmm!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
When my dad was alive, he and my mom updated the will... this is exactly what they did. My brother will receive a stipend. No-one trusts the wife.
There is also a "no-contest" clause that was added. My brother is unaware that the will is written like this. Lately, his wife has been after my brother to get info from my mother regarding the will and how it is written, who's in charge, etc. He never cared before but just in the past year or two... Hmmmmm!
Honestly? Time for your brother to stand up for himself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">