• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boundary Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dale Sr

What is the name of your state? PA

There is a woman in my neighborhood who believes that the Stop Sign in front of her house is on her property. She claims she has a survey to prove it but I have not personally seen it, nor do I know anyone who has.

This morning the woman had a fence (guessing it is about 3' high) installed in front of her house. The Stop sign is now fenced in. She claims she is going to take the stop sign down.

The township has been notified by concerned neighbors. If that stop sign comes down, it could create a dangerous situation, especially for the young kids in the neighborhood.

The woman will not speak to the police or township supervisors and she will not let anyone, including the authorities, onto her property without a warrant or some sort of court order.

How do you think this will play out?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

There is a woman in my neighborhood who believes that the Stop Sign in front of her house is on her property. She claims she has a survey to prove it but I have not personally seen it, nor do I know anyone who has.

This morning the woman had a fence (guessing it is about 3' high) installed in front of her house. The Stop sign is now fenced in. She claims she is going to take the stop sign down.

The township has been notified by concerned neighbors. If that stop sign comes down, it could create a dangerous situation, especially for the young kids in the neighborhood.

The woman will not speak to the police or township supervisors and she will not let anyone, including the authorities, onto her property without a warrant or some sort of court order.

It will play out as it plays out. Guesses are useless.

LdiJ

In the end, it is likely to cause her considerable grief if she removes the stop sign. It is certainly going to be against the law to tamper with traffic signs. If someone gets hurt or killed as a result, then her woes would likely grow exponentiously. Fencing in the stop sign may or may not be a problem if it can still be properly seen.

You will just have to let the process play itself out. However, I cannot imagine that the woman has gotten any actual legal advice.

Dale Sr

Police have told neighbors that the stop sign is not on her property and she has been sent a certified letter informing her she has until 9/1 to remove the fence that she installed on township property. If she does not comply, they will remove it. They also told her that any attempt to take down the stop sign will result in her arrest and criminal charges being filed.

She claims she will not take the fence down.

The stop sign can still be seen by drivers, but the fence does seem to confuse drivers unfamiliar with the neighborhood. People are stopping (eventually), but at the last second and with a confused look on their faces usually. The lady does have a lawyer.

Get your popcorn.

FarmerJ

By chance have you checked for your self to learn what the townships set back rules are regarding its potential easement area ? Like where I live township has a set back of 75 feet from middle of twp road and county road is 100 ft . The sign very well is on her property just like the stop sign here that is on my land ( in our area maps show property lines to be right up into the middle of township roads and county roads BUT they have easements and anyway unless it is your local govt removing the sign according to your state and county laws they will go after her for removing it her self.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">