• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brazilian Charity requesting a copy of my Passport or ID as proof to gov't of donatio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassicTimmy

Why not make the donation to a different branch of the organization and ask them to forward it for you?

Really, IMO, it's a tremendously, colossally, stupendously stupid idea to send off a copy of your passport. PARTICULARLY for a mere $100 donation.
I agree, but I already made the donation and it was processed through Paypal.

I have sent an email to Paypal with the details asking what I should do about this as well as another email to www.cof.org asking how common this is and what to do about it.

Your suggestion is good, though. I didn't think to contact the US branch because I didn't want to cause a big scene over such a trivial amount of money.... but like you said, it IS a trivial amount of money and nothing to risk identity problems over. It just makes me feel silly because there are 100 other people who have donated and their names are clearly visible on the site and I know several of them, so I guess that makes me the only one concerned about it.

LdiJ

And what part of US Law covering international affairs don't you understand? It's a US document and there are certain legal responsibilities, but since I am clearly not the first person to make an overseas donation, this must be a common legal issue for people who actually have knowledge in the matter. Those people are obviously not here today.

Just like, for example, when people make offshore accounts for tax-avoidance schemes, they are using US law to do it. Except this is not a scumbag tax-avoidance scheme. This is just $100 donation.
US Laws covering international affairs do not address that kind of issue. You are using a very broad term to try to somehow make this a US law issue, and its simply not a US law issue.

ClassicTimmy

Then leave it at that...if they don't want to take (or can't take) the money, then they'll refund it.
That's true, the only problem is they sent me a nice limited edition "thank you" gift which they'd probably rather give to someone whose donation they can actually declare. And I quite like the gift! :) Anyway, I am going to try your approach about contacting the US branch. I also did get a response from cof.org already saying she knows there are such stipulations in Mexico but only for donations over $7000. She has forwarded it to a colleague of cof in Brazil in hopes he will verify the Brazilian laws and amounts. I'm still waiting to hear back from Paypal.

Anyway, I'll update this when I get my answer just for posterity's sake.

ClassicTimmy

US law involves instances such as this where one wants to be compliant with laws of other countries, ie. what is the lawful way to fulfill this request? What is the common procedure for doing it legally, according to US law? Not that hard to comprehend.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
US law involves instances such as this where one wants to be compliant with laws of other countries, ie. what is the lawful way to fulfill this request? What is the common procedure for doing it legally, according to US law? Not that hard to comprehend.
If one wants to be compliant with the laws of another country, then one must follow the laws of that country. US laws don't apply to other sovereign nations. Not that hard to comprehend. Well, not for most of us.

ClassicTimmy

If one wants to be compliant with the laws of another country, then one must follow the laws of that country. US laws don't apply to other sovereign nations. Not that hard to comprehend. Well, not for most of us.
Are you so dense that you don't see why there might be US legal issues pertaining to photocopying your US passport and sending it to other countries?

ClassicTimmy

Let me put it another way since your various replies thus far show you are all in fact quite incapable of comprehending this.

If I just sent a copy of my passport to Brazil and 5 years from now some drug-smuggler or terrorist is using my identity (worst case scenario) do you think it might be in my best interest to find out the correct legal procedure for documenting this donation requirement according to US law?

I am knowledgeable enough about US law to know one thing: ignorance of the law is no excuse. I also know that they tend to frown on forging documents, counterfeiting, aiding and abetting terrorism and stuff like that. Likely, even in a worst-case scenario, it would probably all work out in my favor with the slightest bit of research on the part of the investigator, but I still would like to do things the proper way according to US legal council.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Let me put it another way since your various replies thus far show you are all in fact quite incapable of comprehending this.

If I just sent a copy of my passport to Brazil and 5 years from now some drug-smuggler or terrorist is using my identity (worst case scenario) do you think it might be in my best interest to find out the correct legal procedure for documenting this donation requirement according to US law?

I am knowledgeable enough about US law to know one thing: ignorance of the law is no excuse. I also know that they tend to frown on forging documents, counterfeiting, aiding and abetting terrorism and stuff like that. Likely, even in a worst-case scenario, it would probably all work out in my favor with the slightest bit of research on the part of the investigator, but I still would like to do things the proper way according to US legal council.
Then don't send the document. You really ARE that dense, aren't you? :rolleyes:

Believe me, you lending your identity to a drug-smuggler or terrorist and then trying to cover it with a measly $100 donation story isn't going to fly if it comes to that.

ClassicTimmy

I advised you not to do it... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
There is a proper US legal procedure for this and you don't know what it is. US citizens make donations to other countries all the time and if they are required to provide this information then I am sure the US Government has something to say about how this information is provided. Eyerolls are for children.

ClassicTimmy

Then don't send the document. You really ARE that dense, aren't you? :rolleyes:

Believe me, you lending your identity to a drug-smuggler or terrorist and then trying to cover it with a measly $100 donation story isn't going to fly if it comes to that.

Again, you child, you don't know the law on this nor the procedure, so kindly get lost. It's that simple. You're the dense one here doling out stupid advice you think is intelligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">