• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California's New Felony Murder Rule ( SB 1437)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

I wouldn't blame Democrats necessarily. It is California's population that is driving the demand for change and your legislature is simply responding to the majority's wishes. Which is actually how it should be.
With the possible exception of the recent change in the felony murder rule, the recent "reforms" have been proposed and supported by the progressive left in this state. If they aren't Democrats, then they're something else that they have not announced. The recent felony murder exception is, I believe, co-sponsored by a Republican ... I wonder if he was one of those re-elected?

You just have a wacky population that demands odd changes.
We are a state beholden to the very wealthy and the poor. The middle class gets squeezed.

I am confident you can hold out for another 3 years and 7 months ... if climate change has not obliterated your state before then. I have family and friends close to the recent fire zones and they are considering leaving only because it is getting dangerous to breathe. And breathing is sort of necessary.
I live very near the recent fires. In fact, we hosted evacuees, friends lost everything, and my family will be heading up to volunteer for cleanup details when the word goes out in the net few weeks. I was in Chico when I first observed the wall of black smoke roiling up from the ridge about 0715 that fateful Thursday.

It's not climate change I worry about, it's the ever rising taxes, increasing regulation, and the ever-softer on crime laws that are driving us out. When my wife retires, it's Peace Out!

quincy

... I was in Chico when I first observed the wall of black smoke roiling up from the ridge about 0715 that fateful Thursday.

It's not climate change I worry about, it's the ever rising taxes, increasing regulation, and the ever-softer on crime laws that are driving us out. When my wife retires, it's Peace Out!
I can only imagine how terrifying it must be to see fire approaching.

We have naturally occurring forest fires (from lightning strikes), and we have controlled burns to clear out old timber and underbrush in our forests, but a big difference in Michigan (besides not having the droughts and winds of California which play a major role in the fire devastation seen in your state) is we tend not to build communities in these forests. And we have a lot of water.

I love to visit your state but I would never want to live there.

CdwJava

The problem here - at least in the north state - is less about the water, but about water management and storage. Same with forest management - we have virtually none since, for some reason, the environmentalists seem to oppose much of it. I'm surrounded with fires every year - 2018 has been particularly bad with two of the worst fires in state history happening almost on our doorstep.

I used to love living here, but as I get nearer to two retirements and fixed incomes, I cannot see a way to make ends meet and still have any real quality of life in CA. So, I will be joining most of my friends and family in fleeing.

quincy

... Same with forest management - we have virtually none since, for some reason, the environmentalists seem to oppose much of it. I'm surrounded with fires every year - 2018 has been particularly bad with two of the worst fires in state history happening almost on our doorstep.

I used to love living here, but as I get nearer to two retirements and fixed incomes, I cannot see a way to make ends meet and still have any real quality of life in CA. So, I will be joining most of my friends and family in fleeing.
It is not necessarily environmentalists who oppose forest management. The federal government has perhaps failed to manage well "their" forests but that is largely because the EPA has had its budget and its powers eviscerated by the current administration.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
It is not necessarily environmentalists who oppose forest management. The federal government has perhaps failed to manage well "their" forests but that is largely because the EPA has had its budget and its powers eviscerated by the current administration.
I don't think the EPA has much to do with management of federal forests or wilderness areas. Rather, that largely falls on either the National Forest Service (part of the Department of Agriculture) or the National Park Service (part of the Department of Interior). Of course, I don't think either of those agencies have been all that generously funded under the Trump administration either.

quincy

I don't think the EPA has much to do with management of federal forests or wilderness areas. Rather, that largely falls on either the National Forest Service (part of the Department of Agriculture) or the National Park Service (part of the Department of Interior). Of course, I don't think either of those agencies have been all that generously funded under the Trump administration either.
Okay. All of their budgets have been slashed under this administration.

The environment (this country's and the world's) has not been a concern for this administration. If something doesn't somehow make money for this president, it is not a priority for this president.

Last edited:

CdwJava

I live at the base of the Mendocino National Forest, and many of my friends and neighbors work for that agency. One of the regular occurrences has to do with forest management - clearing downed timber, litter, etc. Near as I can tell, things are continuing as they always have. But, even in the National Forests, we have to deal with the effects of environmentalism - for good or ill. One of those effects has been the rather rapid decline in logging which has had a detrimental effect on forest management on state lands as well as federal.

CdwJava

I'm in Arizona, Carl -- you're welcome to join us here.
Not entirely averse to the idea, but it's far from family and friends, and not as tax friendly as some of our other considerations. Plus, I'm from CA ... those Arizona summers are ... well, let's just say it is a small comfort to say, "But it's a DRY heat!" ;)

quincy

I live at the base of the Mendocino National Forest, and many of my friends and neighbors work for that agency. One of the regular occurrences has to do with forest management - clearing downed timber, litter, etc. Near as I can tell, things are continuing as they always have. But, even in the National Forests, we have to deal with the effects of environmentalism - for good or ill. One of those effects has been the rather rapid decline in logging which has had a detrimental effect on forest management on state lands as well as federal.
I see one of the problems in California (and other western states) is that most of the forested land there is owned by the federal government. That differs from the East. We have more state owned forests and more privately owned forests. And we apparently do a better job of managing this land without interference from the federal government.

Although logging tends to be a much talked about (political) issue, the whole reason for creating state and national forests was to protect our timber supply and our watersheds. I think the changes in the climate is a far bigger reason for the more frequent and more devastating fires out west than the decrease in (commercial) logging.

At any rate - and recognizing how far we have strayed from the topic of California's felony murder law (my fault) - I have mentioned before and still think you would be happy living in Michigan, Carl.

CdwJava

Agreed. We have strayed far off. And, I shall give Michigan some more consideration. I have not seen a lot written on its tax-friendly standing for pensioners, so that should bear some additional research.

quincy

Agreed. We have strayed far off. And, I shall give Michigan some more consideration. I have not seen a lot written on its tax-friendly standing for pensioners, so that should bear some additional research.
Research is smart before any major move. :)

CdwJava

Research is smart before any major move. :)
Which is why we're flying out east in the Spring to look at places in NH and PA (and, if all goes well, stopping in to say hi to cbg in Boston when we get there). I have between 2 and 4 years before we can bail, so it's time to get some firsthand looks. :)

Reactions: cbg

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">