• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an apartment management restrict pets' excretion in common areas?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bcr229

I had a dog that was visibly embarrased by having people watch him poop.
My GSD runs behind a bush or into thick brush. I have had him for three years and have never seen him defecate out in the open.

Also OP didn't say how large the courtyard area is, or whether it's concrete, stone, grass, etc. If it's a fairly small, enclosed area without decent drainage, it might start to stink of ammonia if the dog urinates there most of the time.

PAPP

Yes.

1.) Pick up the phone.
2.) Dial the local Board of Health
3.) When someone answers, describe the situation.
4.) After your description of the issue ask the question, "Are any health laws implicated by this matter? If so what, and what do you suggest would be my next step?"
5.) Listen to the answer, and follow their advice.

Or don't.

You don't have to know the answer before you call. That's what they're there for.
Thank you for your suggestion. I'll ask my SO to call them. I'm getting to lose my confident to describe the situation well.

Was the dog on a leash when it did this?
My SO said the dog was on a very loose leash.

It sounds like the OP's biggest concern is someone having to see the dog poop. Personally, if a dog's pooping, I look away.
Actually, my biggest concern is the courtyard, particularly the cooking and eating area, cleanliness. The courtyard is not big with a concrete area, grass, trees and plants. The BBQ grill part is concrete. We had rain this weekend, so the dog's urine was washed out, but otherwise it stays, I assume.

We have lived in pet free apartments most of our lives and this is the first time we are dealing with a pet issue. We are not trying to be unreasonable.

I'm not familiar with the dogs, so my post might be very insensitive to the dog owners. I don't mean to offend the dog owners at all. If my post makes you feel unpleasant, I would like to apologize.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Thank you for your suggestion. I'll ask my SO to call them. I'm getting to lose my confident to describe the situation well.

My SO said the dog was on a very loose leash.

Actually, my biggest concern is the courtyard, particularly the cooking and eating area, cleanliness. The courtyard is not big with a concrete area, grass, trees and plants. The BBQ grill part is concrete. We had rain this weekend, so the dog's urine was washed out, but otherwise it stays, I assume.

We have lived in pet free apartments most of our lives and this is the first time we are dealing with a pet issue. We are not trying to be unreasonable.

I'm not familiar with the dogs, so my post might be very insensitive to the dog owners. I don't mean to offend the dog owners at all. If my post makes you feel unpleasant, I would like to apologize.
Most dogs would not care to relieve themselves on concrete. They prefer grass. That is why the parking lot won't work unless it also has grassy areas.

I am not offended by anything you have said. I am just not sure that what you want to happen can happen unless the owner of the dog is willing to voluntarily comply with what you want.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Something to consider, though.... If you go to a park and sit on the bench - it's quite likely that a dog has peed on/near that bench and you really wouldn't have a clue.

If the dog is pooping on the concrete, it's generally pretty easy to pick up and no one's the wiser unless they happen to "catch" the action. As for peeing.... unless it's a *very* large male dog, I suspect it's not getting all that close to food prep areas - even if he pees on the concrete grill.

I'm not offended, either. I clean up after mine, and that's that. But, too, I tend to run on the "life is pretty gross" track and don't let such things bother me. Builds immunity. ;)

PAPP

Maybe renting a house would be the ultimate solution.
I understand it resolves frustration of apartment life. However, one thing we care about might not. We have lived smoke free environment. Secondhand smoke sometimes triggers our son's migraine. When a friend of our friend was looking for a tenant for their renting house, we checked the house and we noticed a quite strong smell of marijuana wafting from one of their neighbors. Our city has a no smoking ordinance at multi-unit dwellings. It's a tricky part if the residents follow the ordinance, but at least we can do something if someone smokes in the apartments.

We realized we overreacted the issue. As a kind of cleanliness obsessive person, an image of soiled eating areas got me and the fellow tenant reaction got my SO. We have lived in cities for a long time and we totally know we have stepped on all kinds of animals' disposal things everyday. We don't ask the apartment manager about it further.

Thank you all!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I understand it resolves frustration of apartment life. However, one thing we care about might not. We have lived smoke free environment. Secondhand smoke sometimes triggers our son's migraine. When a friend of our friend was looking for a tenant for their renting house, we checked the house and we noticed a quite strong smell of marijuana wafting from one of their neighbors. Our city has a no smoking ordinance at multi-unit dwellings. It's a tricky part if the residents follow the ordinance, but at least we can do something if someone smokes in the apartments.

We realized we overreacted the issue. As a kind of cleanliness obsessive person, an image of soiled eating areas got me and the fellow tenant reaction got my SO. We have lived in cities for a long time and we totally know we have stepped on all kinds of animals' disposal things everyday. We don't ask the apartment manager about it further.

Thank you all!
Fair enough - sometimes it just takes having the chance to talk it out. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">