• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get support if my child has my last name, not the fathers?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I have never used one of these before, so if I do this wrong, I apologize.

The father of my child (who I knew 19 years) abandoned me when he found out I was pregnant with his child. I was able to put him on the birth certificate when he signed the AOP, but I now realize this was a mistake. I have good reason to believe that he will make himself very scarce throughout my child's lifetime, and do not want my child to have to have his last name as a reminder of abandonment. On the birth certificate my child's last name is mine, but my lawyer says that if I wish to obtain child support I will have to change my child's name to match the fathers. Is there any way to get around this? Can I fight this? The father and I were unmarried.
I dont know how old your child is, but if you dont want you child to have his last name, so be it. You dont have to change the last name in order to obtain CS.
I don't know that carrying a last name from someone else will be a constant reminder of abandonment or not, perhaps. My two children faced/and are facing the abandonment issue. Its not easy, I wish you the best of luck. Its not only a heartbreak the child goes through, you will go through it right along with them, because when they hurt you hurt. I strongly suggest that you do not talk negatively about your childs father anywhere in ear shot of that child, they hear more than we think. Its one of the single most damaging things you can do to a kid that does not grow up with both parents. Just something to think about...
Good luck to you.

Then what was your point...:rolleyes:

I was not being goodhearted or teasing. Mamabear is doing a disservice to this forum and the poster who come here seeking help when she pushes her "New York" information when it is not relevant. If she wants to be a contributing member of this forum she will need to post what is relevant to the OP and not confuse a person who may already be in state of confusion.

She was advised a couple of times and did not heed the advice, so if I wasn't cotton candy and lollypops, oh well.:cool:
Speaking of being not relevant and being a contributing member of this forum posting what is relevant. If one would take a look at some of the members posts in response to a question posted, I am talking about two threads, one titled Interstate Child Support, and one titled Locked UP. Neither one of those would fall under the category of relevant responses or contributing members of this forums, at least not for those posts. THAT was my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">