• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I possibly collect from this person?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

But you have admitted she is judgement proof. It will cost you more money to get a judgment you have very little chance of collecting.
Does she know that? maybe....maybe not. I just sent her a text stating Sept 17 is when this goes into hands of a collector unless we work out payments
We'll see, diplomacy hasn't worked very well w her, she may respond more favorably to hard ball

So how does all this work, how does either an attorney, a collector or whoever know when a defendant is on Gov assistance? Surely cant come out in court can it? I would think the aforementioned would want to know all that before proceding in court

PayrollHRGuy

You are getting ahead of yourself. When you sue you either win or lose based on the merits of the case. If you win you then have a judgment against the person. It is when you try to collect on the judgment that you will find she is judgment proof.

OK I see. My collector said they wouldnt pursue action if she were on assistance. I assume to avoid paying up front costs associated w small claims. How would the collection agency know the status before going to court? Crystal ball :)?

LdiJ

well I kind of spilled the beans when I talked to them LOL, but a credit report reveals gov help?
Sure does. Maybe it would be more helpful to tell you what you cannot touch.

$371.25 in weekly wages, and 85% of the wages over that amount.
$4000.00 wildcard to be put towards any assets.
$2400.00 equity in a car (wildcard can go towards a greater amount)
15k Home equity
$1500.00 professional equipment
Money in IRAs, 401ks or any other retirement plan

If she is collecting state aid, then there is almost no chance that she has any assets you can go after. That is what makes her judgment proof. That is why a collection agency won't even try to collect if she is on state aid because they would be wasting their time and money.

Thanks for encapsulating this, huge help.

I'll put it in the collectors hands, if they want to pursue this

I know I have many other ( links removed) and every so often one of them wants to buy a house or a car and of course they have to rectify what they owe and presto, I get a check for a good amt

One never knows....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">