• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my friend give me a gift?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve10

I met in at one of my first jobs on a price line. We were assembly line/warehouse workers. I have known him since 1988. Both our mothers worked together too. Back in the day, they were seamstress's in the same shop.

Steve10

I met him at one of my first jobs. We were assembly line/warehouse workers. I have known him since 1988. Both our nmothers were aklso co-workers. They worked in the same seamstress shop back in the day.

PayrollHRGuy

Is there some reason you are not answering the questions asked by several members trying to help you?

Why is he in a group home?

HRZ

Unless and until somebody steps up to the plate to administer Dads estate and recover the assets now in " unclaimed " bucket and deliver same to Dads heirs per will or intestacy your friend has ZERO to gift away w or w/o the legal capacity to make a gift ....his inaction dooms Dads assets to ultimately escheating to the state .

Steve10

Unless and until somebody steps up to the plate to administer Dads estate and recover the assets now in " unclaimed " bucket and deliver same to Dads heirs per will or intestacy your friend has ZERO to gift away w or w/o the legal capacity to make a gift ....his inaction dooms Dads assets to ultimately escheating to the state .
What about his mothers sister who is still alive? His Aunt.

HRZ

HIs mothers sister is unlikely to inherit under intestacy ...but she might well be able to move the ball forward to administer Dads affairs...absent paid counsel she may lack the personal Moxie to get it done ...but the law very likely provides that her costs are covered plus a modest fee or Commission out of the estate pot for having done the work. ...look if your friend is competent, he can move his own ball forward and pay attorney out of the pot ....but whomever does it needs some assurance that the pot really exists.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes I have explained.
No, you have given us the outward symptoms, but you have not explained the underlying reason. WHY is he in the home?

Being disorganized and having priorities that are contrary to those of others do NOT usually land one in a group home.

Steve10

HIs mothers sister is unlikely to inherit under intestacy ...but she might well be able to move the ball forward to administer Dads affairs...absent paid counsel she may lack the personal Moxie to get it done ...but the law very likely provides that her costs are covered plus a modest fee or Commission out of the estate pot for having done the work. ...look if your friend is competent, he can move his own ball forward and pay attorney out of the pot ....but whomever does it needs some assurance that the pot really exists.
So maybe the best thing to do is get him an attorney and show them the assets that are under his name, his fathers name, his mothers name, and even his dead sisters name. First thing is I will visit him and explain. I don't want the lady of the home getting word of this. I don't trust people. There are as many as 20 unclaimed accounts under his immediate family's names and addresses of where he used to live. Everything from bank accounts, funds, stocks, even life insurance which was $150K for his father from what I was told by him years ago.

Zigner

So maybe the best thing to do is get him an attorney and show them the assets that are under his name, his fathers name, his mothers name, and even his dead sisters name. First thing is I will visit him and explain. I don't want the lady of the home getting word of this. I don't trust people. There are as many as 20 unclaimed accounts under his immediate family's names and addresses of where he used to live. Everything from bank accounts, funds, stocks, even life insurance which was $150K for his father from what I was told by him years ago.
Frankly, while I understand that you are his friend, you really have no place doing these things.

Steve10

Frankly, while I understand that you are his friend, you really have no place doing these things.
I understand from your perspective. But he owes me. He put me through Hell and back and I could not even grieve my fathers death properly. Too long of a story. I feel I have a right to some of the money his mother promised me when she was alive. And the State has no Rights at all. I was as close to him as any family member. God knows I don't lie. I sacrificed alot of my personal life to be his friend besides. His father thanked me in tears when I got him his job back once when he got fired. I am owed something.

Steve10

I was like an unofficial guardian for a while while his CRACKHEAD SISTER would steal his SSI money from his pockets while his legal guardian did squat. She had her crack friends sleeping in the house, she had drug addicts and murderers inside his house when they both lived there until she died while sitting on the toilet going into a coma from crack at the age of 42.

Zigner

I understand from your perspective. But he owes me. He put me through Hell and back and I could not even grieve my fathers death properly. Too long of a story. I feel I have a right to some of the money his mother promised me when she was alive. And the State has no Rights at all. I was as close to him as any family member. God knows I don't lie. I sacrificed alot of my personal life to be his friend besides. His father thanked me in tears when I got him his job back once when he got fired. I am owed something.
And NOW it comes out. You are a shark who smells blood in the water. The money is NOT yours. Leave the poor man alone! I hope that his family sees your predatory ways and takes steps to make sure you NEVER have contact with this man, as he doesn't need a snake in the grass pretending to be his friend just to get his hands on the money.

Steve10

I am not what you say. But I don't care what any of you think. I will proceed because his family at least should get the money not the State. The State is a blood sucker. He only has one Aunt left and her son. There is no one else. Good day.

Steve10

And there are people (strangers) who go around helping others collect Unclaimed Funds for a fee. Charging as much as 30 percent. I am way under that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">