• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my friend give me a gift?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I really hope the poor man in the home finds someone who is truly looking out for his best interest, and not some snake posing as a friend who feels that he's owed money because he was his friend. You disgust me.

Just Blue

You chose to help this guy...to expect payment now is vile. But whatever...You will never get a dime out of him. It just won't happen. Pay an attorney to tell you why.

Steve10

Glad you can admit being a bad person. Per your own posting I have to agree with you. You chose to help this guy...to expect payment now is vile. But whatever...You will never get a dime out of him. It just won't happen. Pay an attorney to tell you why.
Because you all seem to feel that way, I will gladly ask his Aunt for more than I originally requested. He has millions$. Like I said better us having the money than the State. I will bring my friend to an attorney.

Just Blue

Because you all seem to feel that way, I will gladly ask his Aunt for more than I originally requested. He has millions$. Like I said better us having the money than the State. I will bring my friend to an attorney.
Whatever Dude. You will get nothing...except perhaps criminal charges when LEO get wind of what you are attempting.

Steve10

Whatever Dude. You will get nothing...except perhaps criminal charges when LEO get wind of what you are attempting.
Really? What law is being broken? Helping a friend to his own assets and asking for a gift that his mother promised me years ago? Please

HRZ

Your story begins to STINK .
You can help him move his ball forward ..and if you are appointed the administrator the law provides for you to get a modest commission...that's OK.

IF and when he or you as administrator recover assets distributed to him , he of his own choosing chooses to make a nice gift to you....well that's Ok ....but he does not owe you a dime as a legal matter...and to phrase it as if he does owe you stinks . The estate owes the executor/administrator such costs and commissions as the law provides ...perhaps quite a tidy sum!!

HRZ

Your friend is entitled to be super stupid in how he squanders his own money with supposed friends ...and if he. Is a soft touch for money...well he is a soft touch ....if you take the steps to become his guardian or custodian perhaps you can administer his remaining resources with greater wisdom . I simply do not know if you become his guardian if you can raise probate or adminstation of his fathers estate on his behalf so he gets his assets out unclaimed pot ....but for the large sums you post are there...it may make sense to retain counsel to sort out the options which might work ....States are very happy to keep money if nobody steps forward to claim it ...been there when my mother bungled a few things...luckily I got into equation in time ..NY issues as well.

justalayman

I understand from your perspective. But he owes me. He put me through Hell and back and I could not even grieve my fathers death properly. Too long of a story. I feel I have a right to some of the money his mother promised me when she was alive. And the State has no Rights at all. I was as close to him as any family member. God knows I don't lie. I sacrificed alot of my personal life to be his friend besides. His father thanked me in tears when I got him his job back once when he got fired. I am owed something.
Oh so now it comes out. You think the guy owes you something

Well, if you chose to help, thst called being a good friend. If you did it with compensation in mind, well that’s either an employee or a grifter.

I love the sentence

I sacrificed a lot of my personal life to be his friend

Um, that’s what friends do. You obviously are not a friend if you believe the guy owes you something for “ being his friend”

justalayman

Yo
And there are people (strangers) who go around helping others collect Unclaimed Funds for a fee. Charging as much as 30 percent. I am way under that.
youre way under that but regardless you are doing it for a fee. That’s not being a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">