• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can paper street be blocked by cars

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Random999

Hello this paper street in question is in westmoreland County in Pennsylvania. The paper street sits between mine and neighbors property but also has a public road in front of it. My question is can people park their cars on the road in front of said paper street. I know the paper street can't be blocked or obstructed but I'd like to know how that works with the roadway.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello this paper street in question is in westmoreland County in Pennsylvania. The paper street sits between mine and neighbors property but also has a public road in front of it. My question is can people park their cars on the road in front of said paper street. I know the paper street can't be blocked or obstructed but I'd like to know how that works with the roadway.
Is there a curb cut for it?

LdiJ

Could you explain what you mean by "paper street"?

Random999

So as it currently is, it is not possible to drive down the road?
Hello when you're looking at this paper street, my house is to the left, paper street, then neighbor on right. You would be standing in the street looking at the front of all 3 of these parcels of land, mine, paper, neighbor. So the road is being used however when people park on the side of the road they now block the front entrance to this paper street. When cars are parked in front of it you can only access this paper street by either my yard or neighbors yard.

Random999

A paper street shows on maps as a street but is not used as one.
Exactly it's a parcel of land that way back when the county or township reserved the right to create it into a street however after 21 years of no use by the township the land reverts to the abuting property owners.

quincy

Hello when you're looking at this paper street, my house is to the left, paper street, then neighbor on right. You would be standing in the street looking at the front of all 3 of these parcels of land, mine, paper, neighbor. So the road is being used however when people park on the side of the road they now block the front entrance to this paper street. When cars are parked in front of it you can only access this paper street by either my yard or neighbors yard.
How is the street being used? As a cut-through from one developed street to another developed street?

No one is permitted to drive across the properties on either side of the paper street. Because the paper street is property dedicated for use as a street but never developed for use, no one should be using it as a street.

Random999

How is the street being used? As a cut-through from one developed street to another developed street?

No one is permitted to drive across the properties on either side of the paper street. Because the paper street is property dedicated for use as a street but never developed for use, no one should be using it as a street.
Hello, so this paper street is about the same size as a normal house lot, behind the paper street boundaries the municipal is using, why they didn't extend it further to the public roadway in front of the houses I'm not sure. So we have a square shaped lot for my house, square shaped for the paper street and square for the other side neighbor. All next to each other with a public road in front of all our parcels. Behind us is just woods that the municipal is using. My concern is with the front public road when people park off to the side in front of this paper street. When they park there, there is no access from the public road into the paper street anymore just either side of me or the neighbors yard. I know paper streets are still considered easements/right of way which is why they can't be blocked or obstructed. Just want to know if that applies to all sides even when a public road abuts it.

Random999

How is the “municipal” using the wooded property? Is it a community park?
Hello no, the back side has some facility on it, municipal owned. I think they have a cleared part they store salt and other things on. Not really sure , just know for sure they own behind each parcel. Its a big chunk of land some of its cleared, the out skirts aren't. I'm just concerned with the front with the public street.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">