• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged for tests i didn't want

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippysgoddess

Well this is finals times at most colleges, so these sure sound like some creative questions from a take home exam. My DH has had several of these over the past 3 years in college, and from some of his legal political science classes there were very similar questions.

Seems this could be from a medical ethics class, for someone in RN classes, premed, or prelaw.

ellencee

BelizeBreeze said:
This is the same kid that is asking what violation of law did the university commit when they shared information with his high school.

There is MUCH more going on here than we are being told.

So, MC, until you come back with FULL FACTS, you get nothing. I suspect that you are playing a game here (that's a nice way of saying LYING) and not being honest.
It's the same old question and the same old answer. When the police take you to the hospital, the hospital can keep you and you are responsible for the bill.
EC

panzertanker

BelizeBreeze said:
This is the same kid that is asking what violation of law did the university commit when they shared information with his high school.

There is MUCH more going on here than we are being told.

So, MC, until you come back with FULL FACTS, you get nothing. I suspect that you are playing a game here (that's a nice way of saying LYING) and not being honest.
This kid has a mental defect, (that is a nice way of saying STUPID) and is trying to play games...

Go away, we are quite busy today.

CdwJava

mc2math said:
i'm a male so i don't think that has much of a bearing, however the reason i was brought to the hospital was because i said that the "kidnapper" might have done something to me. I told the officer that came that it was all a lie, and was released from police custody then.
Making a false report of a crime is a criminal act in CA. I would have arrested you.

There IS more to this story.

- Carl

rmet4nzkx

CdwJava said:
Making a false report of a crime is a criminal act in CA. I would have arrested you.

- Carl
Thanks, that's what I thought, or possibly hypothetical since none of his threads jive.

mc2math

rmet4nzkx said:
Thanks, that's what I thought, or possibly hypothetical since none of his threads jive.
No, I'm not lying, that's exactly what happend. I came to this forum for advice rather than to be judged. Without understanding the circumstances behind my case it is wrong for you to judge me so hastily. All I've been asking for is for advice based on what is given, and I've given as much information as possible for the advice to be given.

To those who have provided advice sans judgement, thank you, your help is very much appreciated.

mc2math

CdwJava said:

- Carl
No, the report was never filed so there was no crime, officer agreed to drop filing the report given circumstances. This is irrelevant, nonetheless.

MedLegalNrs

Re: charged for tests I didn't want

... my question really is if the doctor was allowed to force me to take tests during this 8 hour hold, which apparently is allowed at the er. Some... sort of medical hold. Or if he was actually allowed to place the hold in the first place. I requested to leave AMA before the hold was placed... actually it was more like ... i requested to leave, and then the doctor placed the hold.[/QUOTE]

Some facilities use the term "8hr" or "23hr" hold for those patients who need to be further observed, given their presenting complaint, symptoms, illness, etc. It is a medical hold and is not usually a hold placed for detention as in a 72hr. hold.

You have many questions and appear to be somewhat confused as to your rights in this event. You would do well to contact either a civil rights or personal injury attorney so as to be well informed about your legal and civil rights. While many on this board can opine, the best and most accurate legal information will be obtained while discussing your particulars with counsel.

I wish you luck.

mc2math

MedLegalNrs said:
... my question really is if the doctor was allowed to force me to take tests during this 8 hour hold, which apparently is allowed at the er. Some... sort of medical hold. Or if he was actually allowed to place the hold in the first place. I requested to leave AMA before the hold was placed... actually it was more like ... i requested to leave, and then the doctor placed the hold.

Some facilities use the term "8hr" or "23hr" hold for those patients who need to be further observed, given their presenting complaint, symptoms, illness, etc. It is a medical hold and is not usually a hold placed for detention as in a 72hr. hold.

You have many questions and appear to be somewhat confused as to your rights in this event. You would do well to contact either a civil rights or personal injury attorney so as to be well informed about your legal and civil rights. While many on this board can opine, the best and most accurate legal information will be obtained while discussing your particulars with counsel.

I wish you luck.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your advice, I think I might do that. However, I was wondering if that would even be cost-effective seeing as the bill is 800$ and often inital consultation is anywhere from 100 - 1000$.

rmet4nzkx

MedLegalNrs said:
... my question really is if the doctor was allowed to force me to take tests during this 8 hour hold, which apparently is allowed at the er. Some... sort of medical hold. Or if he was actually allowed to place the hold in the first place. I requested to leave AMA before the hold was placed... actually it was more like ... i requested to leave, and then the doctor placed the hold.

I wish you luck.[/QUOTE]
Did you read OP's further posts and other threads? OP told the police he was arrested, that was a false report, he should have been arrested. OP has some sort of mental health/learning disability. He needs a criminal defense attorney, not a civil rights attorney.

mc2math

rmet4nzkx said:
Did you read OP's further posts and other threads? OP told the police he was arrested, that was a false report, he should have been arrested. OP has some sort of mental health/learning disability. He needs a criminal defense attorney, not a civil rights attorney.
Um, can you please get your facts straight before hastily posting - I NEVER TOLD THE POLICE I WAS ARRESTED. I NEVER FILED A FALSE REPORT. I DO NOT HAVE A LEARNING DISABILITY. Thank you for reading.

MedLegalNrs

Re: charged for tests I didn't want

<<<Thank you for your advice, I think I might do that. However, I was wondering if that would even be cost-effective seeing as the bill is 800$ and often inital consultation is anywhere from 100 - 1000$.[/QUOTE]>>>

Whether anything is cost-effective, is a decision you have to make as you allege to be the injured party. There are many well-qualified attorneys who offer the initial consultation on a no-fee basis.

Above and beyond the hospital bill, you have alleged issues which may have more compensatory value. This information is best obtained from counsel.

rmet4nzkx

mc2math said:
Um, can you please get your facts straight before hastily posting - I NEVER TOLD THE POLICE I WAS ARRESTED. I NEVER FILED A FALSE REPORT. I DO NOT HAVE A LEARNING DISABILITY. Thank you for reading.
Sorry error, KIDNAPPED, you should have been arrested, filing a false police report is a criminal act in CA which would have cost you more than your ER bill.

edit, there is something funny happening with these posts and quotes. :confused:

Last edited:

MedLegalNrs

<<<Did you read OP's further posts and other threads? OP told the police he was arrested, that was a false report, he should have been arrested. OP has some sort of mental health/learning disability. He needs a criminal defense attorney, not a civil rights attorney.>>>

Neutral objectivity does not allow a personal opinion. The sole purpose of the response, as posted, is to direct OP to seek answers to his questions from the proper source of information.

As a side note: my gravest concern when people call for emergency services and don't truly need it is the following: Who was left without a timely response while the rescue ambulance is responding to a non-life threatening emergency? It is truly unfortunate that some members of our community do not understand the severity of their actions when they call for assistance which is truly not needed.

panzertanker

MedLegalNrs said:
Above and beyond the hospital bill, you have alleged issues which may have more compensatory value. This information is best obtained from counsel.
I agree with you that the OP needs to have someone in the legal profession to answer his questions, b/c we do not have all of the facts first hand...

That being said, as one person who has spent 7 years in ED work to another, Do you REALLY think there is a civil rights issue involved in putting an 8hr/23hr/whatever you want to call it (1013, etc) on a pt who has just proclaimed being "kidnapped" then recanted???

There is no civil rights violation in doing a mental health assessment that places the pt on "hold" to ascertain their mental health when they have been presented to the ED by law enforcement.
The pt is extremely lucky that he did not have a Baker Act or 1013 placed on him that remanded him to the local psychiatric hospital for a 72 hr evaluation.

I know that had he not been "held against his will" while tests to rule out psychotropics/ETOH/organic disease as an explanation for his behavior, and he DID harm himself/others**************you know the answer to that statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">