• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child custody visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisrain

I've had custody since last August. Since then mother was supposed to set up supervised visits at a place I approved. I provided 5-6 church, family centers, and csb location. In over a year she hasn't set up or attempted one visit. She completely disregarded the court visitation schedule.. she recently called and said she was still attempting to set up a visit. And hasn't been able to for a year. If she stops lying and decides to finally set up a visit, do I have to allow my kids to go? She hasn't followed the court order. Do I have to because she is finally ready? My kids don't want to see her.. she is in active addiction. Any advice would help drastically. Thank you.

Just Blue

I've had custody since last August. Since then mother was supposed to set up supervised visits at a place I approved. I provided 5-6 church, family centers, and csb location. In over a year she hasn't set up or attempted one visit. She completely disregarded the court visitation schedule.. she recently called and said she was still attempting to set up a visit. And hasn't been able to for a year. If she stops lying and decides to finally set up a visit, do I have to allow my kids to go? She hasn't followed the court order. Do I have to because she is finally ready? My kids don't want to see her.. she is in active addiction. Any advice would help drastically. Thank you.
Of course you must follow the court ORDER. If Mom isn't doing what she should be doing, then file to modify the order...but until the order is modified you must follow it.

zddoodah

What state?

I've had custody since last August.
I assume you're talking about primary physical custody.

If she stops lying and decides to finally set up a visit, do I have to allow my kids to go?
You must do what is required under the custody order. Nothing more and nothing less.

She hasn't followed the court order.
But I'll bet you a dollar that the court order doesn't obligate her to visit. Right?

My kids don't want to see her.. she is in active addiction. Any advice would help drastically.
If you don't want to comply with the existing order, then you should seek to have the court modify it.

Chrisrain

In that thread he never came back and answered any questions or made any clarifications. I suspect that this thread will be the same.
I'm sorry, I seen a few answers and just used that info. I have sent these links to go to my email. So my response will be timely. I do greatly appreciate your time and info.

Chrisrain

A court order is not the same as a court suggestion. As long as she meets the criteria ordered, you need to follow through.
I don't believe she has. She hasn't done ANYTHING required in the order. Or attempted any visitations in the yearly time frame

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I don't believe she has. She hasn't done ANYTHING required in the order. Or attempted any visitations in the yearly time frame
That's not (ETA) what I mean - not utilizing parenting time is NOT a violation, although it could be a factor in a stepparent adoption filing. I mean - is she required to undergo drug treatment before she can see the kids, stuff like that.

Last edited:

Just Blue

Then you go back to court to modify the order. BTW: Did you ever try for a step-parent adoption? If so, what became of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">