• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support for Failed Vasectomy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

single317dad

Let's not forget the other party that's complicit in all this.

OP, it will be prudent to make sure that all income is indeed counted as income. There's quite a difference between 0 income, a little income, and imputed minimum wage. Any change in the mother's income will affect the amount of child support you're ordered to pay. While Mom may have 0 taxable wages, consideration such as payment of tuition may be treated as income in some cases.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/news/20040505/vasectomies-pregnancy-prevention

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2950776/

I will admit that the 1 in 100 may be too high, but 1 in 4,000 is WAY too low. Your number (1 in 4,000) represents births after a failed vasectomy. However, it does not represent pregnancies after a failed vasectomy. Harvard's number for pregnancies after a failed vasectomy is approx. .25%, which would mean 10 in 4,000 or 1 in 400.

Just Blue

OP, it will be prudent to make sure that all income is indeed counted as income. There's quite a difference between 0 income, a little income, and imputed minimum wage. Any change in the mother's income will affect the amount of child support you're ordered to pay. While Mom may have 0 taxable wages, consideration such as payment of tuition may be treated as income in some cases.
I have not. If the Mother was on here I give her a "gross" as well,

I just feel bad for this notyetborn child whos mother and mightbedad are willing to spooge of others to continue with their childish sh.t. :(

Carl3789

The study I saw didn't make the distinction between births vs pregnancies. Who cares if it's 1 in 400 or 1 in 4,000. The point is, it's low, and my Dr performed thousands and has never seen this happen. The topic here is child support, and vasectomies are still the most successful method of contraception and that was my point in bringing it up. I called one well known attorney in CA and he said it was 1 in a million and insisted I wasn't the father as he yelled at me and then hung up on me. Unreal.

There's nothing childish about my behavior, Blue Meanie (and I know of the real Blue Meanie in real life (the wrestler), and he'd agree with me). On the contrary, I did the responsible thing by having surgery to prevent an unwanted child being born into this world. My ex didn't even realize she was pregnant until 22 weeks along, just two before the 24 week legal limit for abortion in CA. That doesn't make her childish, it makes her naive. I'm not trying to weasel out of child support. I'm trying to pay a reasonable amount that won't force me into poverty, especially considering her family's financial means.

I read from one attorney who said an unwed couple may stipulate their own amount that the court can approve, and only if she and I don't agree on the amount would the courts get involved. I was hoping to hear ideas along the lines of that, not get lectured on my morality and met with a total lack of empathy. Everyone I know has said I did the responsible thing by getting snipped and that this is a freak occurrence and that I'm unfortunately screwed. Some of you are making me out to be the deadbeat dad who had sex with a woman without protection and then flees to avoid paying child support. THAT is childish. This situation is entirely different.

Some have said $500, some have said $1,300, and now someone has said $2,500. I'll just work with my attorney on it, if he ever calls back.

Just Blue

There's nothing childish about my behavior, Blue Meanie (and I know of the real Blue Meanie in real life (the wrestler), and he'd agree with me).
Blue Meanie = Beatles = You Are DUMB.

Wow...lol.:D

I really feel bad for the soontobebaby if you think blue meanie is about wrestling. Sad for you and the babe. :(

TinkerBelleLuvr

The study I saw didn't make the distinction between births vs pregnancies. Who cares if it's 1 in 400 or 1 in 4,000. The point is, it's low, and my Dr performed thousands and has never seen this happen. The topic here is child support, and vasectomies are still the most successful method of contraception and that was my point in bringing it up. I called one well known attorney in CA and he said it was 1 in a million and insisted I wasn't the father as he yelled at me and then hung up on me. Unreal.

There's nothing childish about my behavior, Blue Meanie (and I know of the real Blue Meanie in real life (the wrestler), and he'd agree with me). On the contrary, I did the responsible thing by having surgery to prevent an unwanted child being born into this world. My ex didn't even realize she was pregnant until 22 weeks along, just two before the 24 week legal limit for abortion in CA. That doesn't make her childish, it makes her naive. I'm not trying to weasel out of child support. I'm trying to pay a reasonable amount that won't force me into poverty, especially considering her family's financial means.

I read from one attorney who said an unwed couple may stipulate their own amount that the court can approve, and only if she and I don't agree on the amount would the courts get involved. I was hoping to hear ideas along the lines of that, not get lectured on my morality and met with a total lack of empathy. Everyone I know has said I did the responsible thing by getting snipped and that this is a freak occurrence and that I'm unfortunately screwed. Some of you are making me out to be the deadbeat dad who had sex with a woman without protection and then flees to avoid paying child support. THAT is childish. This situation is entirely different.

Some have said $500, some have said $1,300, and now someone has said $2,500. I'll just work with my attorney on it, if he ever calls back.
Remember that the less time you spend with your child, the more you pay in support.

justalayman

The mother doesn't have to seek child support. She doesn't even have to seek to prove paternity. Unless she is benefitting from some sort welfare, it is totally up to her (or you or her if it concerns the paternity).

Due to that, yes, you can have an agreed child support arrangement BUT it can be superseded by a courts order if she changes her mind and decides to have a court determine the amount.

ecmst12

There's no malpractice here. The vasectomy was done correctly and was successful at one point. I don't see anything the doctor could possibly have done to cause or contribute to a spontaneous reversal. This is just bad luck.

TigerD

There's no malpractice here. The vasectomy was done correctly and was successful at one point. I don't see anything the doctor could possibly have done to cause or contribute to a spontaneous reversal. This is just bad luck.
Would this be considered an act of God? How would you serve God? Can that be effected at any place of business?

DC

Carl3789

Blue Meanie = Beatles = You Are DUMB.

Wow...lol.:D

I really feel bad for the soontobebaby if you think blue meanie is about wrestling. Sad for you and the babe. :(
For a dumb guy, I graduated from the top engineering program in the country. Ask any of my peers about the Blue Meanie and they'll think of the wrestler first. The Beatles?? We respect them, but we couldn't name 3 songs. Just because we don't share your generation and musical tastes doesn't make us dumb. Sort of like how my dad thinks Steve Austin is the Six Million Dollar Man, when to everyone else in my age group, he's Stone Cold Steve Austin.

I came here for legal advice, not to be flamed by personal attacks and treated with disrespect. This is my last post and I won't read any replies. Thanks to those of you who responded politely and understand my unlucky situation.

Ladyback1

did ya' know, sometimes after having tonsils removed they can grow back??

OP--crap happens, the human body can be all sorts of odd at times.

Proserpina

I'm going to be the unpopular kid again.

This guy did - short of becoming a monk - just about everything he could to not have children.

Whether he's a tool or not, surely you can understand his position at least somewhat?

Maybe?

A little bit?

LdiJ

While I agree that is true, this is a case where its highly unlikely that mom would be imputed more than 40 hours a week at minimum wage, and OP earns low six figures. The potential impact of mom's imputed income is not going to have a dramatic effect on the amount of child support that he ends up being ordered to pay. Its just reality.

I don't think that this OP should be slammed either for his choices. He never wanted children and he took the most active steps that a man can take to ensure that it wouldn't happen.

Just Blue

For a dumb guy, I graduated from the top engineering program in the country. Ask any of my peers about the Blue Meanie and they'll think of the wrestler first. The Beatles?? We respect them, but we couldn't name 3 songs. Just because we don't share your generation and musical tastes doesn't make us dumb. Sort of like how my dad thinks Steve Austin is the Six Million Dollar Man, when to everyone else in my age group, he's Stone Cold Steve Austin.

I came here for legal advice, not to be flamed by personal attacks and treated with disrespect. This is my last post and I won't read any replies. Thanks to those of you who responded politely and understand my unlucky situation.
My ELDEST child that is 25 and graduated VERY TOP of her class from one of the best Universities in this country...would not misunderstand my user name...and neither wou my 12 year old.

Be that as it may...

You might have a child. You might want to stop worrying about how to pawn off support to others. You might want to think about establishing paternity and (gasp) visitation. You didn't want a child and you took a big step to prevent one...but you still might have one. Deal with it as a "stone cold"man. :)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
At the end of the day, while OP did what he could to prevent becoming a father, it is entirely possible that he falls into that small percentage where the vasectomy failed. While I am sure thst is a shock, it saddens me that OP doesn't seem to understand that he is talking about (after birth) a living breathing person, who is a part of him - presuming DNA results show that - and who he is willing to completely turn his back on. It's all about whose fault it is, the money and who he can stick it to. But not at all about the child.

Life throws us curveballs all the time - some small, others big. The measure of us as humans is how we handle those curveballs. Based on his posts? OP does little to measure up.

Poor kid. (and yes, I called the little one a kid. Sue me.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">