• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support for Failed Vasectomy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Senior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi, I had a vasectomy in 2011 and confirmed zero sperm count not long after that. I found out 3 weeks ago that my ex girlfriend is pregnant with my child. I got a sperm count immediately and the Dr told me he's never seen this in 25 years, but that yes, my sperm count is back and no longer zero. My tubes must have reconnected.

I don't have any other children and never wanted them, and am freaking out because despite my responsible efforts to prevent pregnancy, I'm now going to face huge child support payments that I cannot afford. I know little about this process and am interested in learning just how much it will cost me and if there's anything I can do to lower the payments. My ex girlfriend lives with her family and at first they said they wouldn't even need my money, but they've since changed their tune, as I knew they would.

Some more info:

-I'm divorced, employed, and make a decent living (low six figures) in CA. Of course, with the cost of living so high, my disposable income isn't much and I don't live large at all. I've always been fiscally responsible.
-My ex girlfriend is here on an international student visa, still in college, and not yet a US citizen.
-She does not earn an income. She works for the school but her earnings reduce her tuition as opposed to coming in the form of a paycheck.
-She will have 100% custody. Her family will help her raise it while she finishes school. I will have 0% custody and have little to no involvement in the child's life. This is fine with me.
-Her insurance, which her dad pays for, will cover the baby.

Some have advised me to not sign the AOP, but she can always file a paternity suit and then the courts would came after me and force me to take a DNA test. No DNA test has been performed (and can't until the baby is born), but I know the baby is mine. For purposes of this discussion, please just assume that it is mine, because people always question this and it just wastes time discussing it. My vasectomy failed, I have a sperm count, and bad luck happens. It's mine.

I have an attorney who's supposed to call me back, but until then, any advice would be welcome. Because of the circumstances, I have a feeling the courts will make me pay through the roof despite that this was a failed vasectomy and the fact that her family has the financial means to take care of the baby. Thank you.
Did they cut and burn them?? LOL They did mine .No more kiddos.

Not just females tube ties . Cut n burn males.
Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential