• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child's Social Security Number

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a very importatn topic

Can someone please explain the cons of giving NCP the SS. I ask because NCP hounded me at one point. He has really bad credit. That was my only concern.

I can think of a number of reasons why an NCP would want a SS# (both legal and otherwise).
As was suggested, Dad's best bet is to probably go down with the birth certificate to the SS office and get it. But if this Dad is like some NCPS he may not have a copy of the birth certificate either. Where I live the office of Vital Statistics is not far---might not be the same in his community. He may have to do some leg work to get it. Thankfully today one doesn't have to wait for things to be delivered by snail mail. Birth certificates can often be ordered online and for an additional fee the certificate can be sent priority mail.:)
So anyone can get a copy of anothers birth certificate? No wonder there is so much identity theft in the world

casa

What is the name of your state? CA

My husband was going to fill out a motion for modification and in the forms is a form called "family information sheet" on the sheet they want the social security number. Well my husband e-mailed his ex-wife asking her for it, before she knew what it was for. And she said no and that there was no reason for him to have it. After he told her that he wanted the order modified to be more specific and that it was for the paper work she said "I don't believe you need it, if you do have your attorney contact my attorney and then I will CONSIDER having my attorney give it to your attorney"
The child's mother has full physical and they share joint legal. Is there any legal reason why my husband should not be aloud to know his daughter's social security number? Isn't joint legal supposed to mean full disclosure about the child?
Is this legal?
You don't need the child's SS # for filing a Modification.

penelope10

So anyone can get a copy of anothers birth certificate? No wonder there is so much identity theft in the world
Well all I know is when I lost my child's BC and needed one I had to provide certain info. My relationship to the child and my social security number via the mail. When I went in person for another child I also showed my driver's license.

2Mistakes

Not at all. You have to prove that you have a valid reason for requesting a BC. In my state, you can only request a BC for yourself or your child. You have to prove that you are you or that you are that child's parent.

There are other instances (in my state) where you can request someone else's BC, i.e, my wife had to request her grandmother's BC for the nursing home she is in. But my wife had to show power-of-attorney and had to have a written statement from the nursing home that they required the BC.

casa

Not at all. You have to prove that you have a valid reason for requesting a BC. In my state, you can only request a BC for yourself or your child. You have to prove that you are you or that you are that child's parent.

There are other instances (in my state) where you can request someone else's BC, i.e, my wife had to request her grandmother's BC for the nursing home she is in. But my wife had to show power-of-attorney and had to have a written statement from the nursing home that they required the BC.
Same here in CA

wife-mom-stpmom

My husband does have a Certified copy of the child's Birth Certificate (he is on it). He said he needed it, maybe he was wrong about the form or even needing it at all. He was also wanting to set up a 529 and I know that was mentioned on here to. He currently has a savings for her college but obviously a normal savings doesn't have the tax benefits that a 529 does. So he was going to set up a 529 but, can't until his birthday in July... you have to be 24 years old.
Also, he has never tried to file his daughter on his taxes. She lives with her mother and it was not addressed in their court order so he just leaves that alone.
My mother had phone's and other things in all of her children's name... we all had bad credit before we were old enough to vote so I understand the concern that parent's can have. However, my husband has never done anything illegal (except speeding :p). He has a top secret military clearance and doing something like that could send him straight to jail. Anyway, my point is that he's not uneducated. He had his identity "stolen" by the mother of the child while he was in Iraq (she was pregnant) and they were still married. She opened 12 credit cards all in his name (he had fantastic credit at that point) and two cell phones in his name and maxed all out.. never paid and never mentioned anything about them. He found out when he got back and tried to buy a car. He would never give his daughters # out to anyone except on legal documents and for things like the 529.

Isis1

when i was the NCP, i actually asked my tax guy back from when i was with my ex, for copies of my tax returns and pulled my kids social numbers from there. but yep, you can go down to the SSA office and just request them with a copy of the birth certificate. and yep, like courtclerk said, there are no SS numbers needed for any filing. in fact, i went down to the court yesterday, and the clerk brought to my attention that the SS numbers were supposed to be blacked out (i had copies of a SS document in my declaration) DUH!

some people swear they have more power over the other parent :rolleyes:

Humusluvr

Great. Y'all just gave me something new to worry about. Never thought of identity theft on my child. Better safe than sorry, so thanks guys!

jrini

I had to replace my birth certificate recently. I live in Ohio and couldn't take a day off work to pick it up and thought I'd have to wait and have it mailed. But they let my Grandmother pick it up (she lives close to the health dept I was born at) - all she had to do was provide them with my DOB and show ID. Mind you, we don't have the same last name so there's no way they could have know she was actually related to me in any way. It was nice that she was able to pick it up for me, but also disturbing realizing how easy it would be for ANYONE to waltz in and get a copy on my birth certificate :eek:

I think the laws on who can get them and what ID they have to provide varies quit a bit on this...

mommyof4

And *some* people HELP a certain gender of parent believe that the certain gender has more power than the other gender.
:rolleyes:
And as I said, it's not that I have indoor plumbing and get to experience the joys of swelling up like a beached whale while carrying the blessed being in my body for 9 months and then having to push that blessed being out of my body through an opening too small to actually comfortably accomodate the blessed being (Yeah...when I get to Heaven, I'm going to have a talk with the person in charge about their desing blueprints of the female anatomy) that makes me superior. It's just that I am 100% perfectly perfect in every way.:p

proud_parent

And as I said, it's not that I have indoor plumbing and get to experience the joys of swelling up like a beached whale while carrying the blessed being in my body for 9 months that makes me superior. It's just that I am 100% perfectly perfect in every way.:p
Oh, it's a jolly 'oliday wi' mommy... :D

Isis1

And as I said, it's not that I have indoor plumbing and get to experience the joys of swelling up like a beached whale while carrying the blessed being in my body for 9 months and then having to push that blessed being out of my body through an opening too small to actually comfortably accomodate the blessed being (Yeah...when I get to Heaven, I'm going to have a talk with the person in charge about their desing blueprints of the female anatomy) that makes me superior. It's just that I am 100% perfectly perfect in every way.:p

LMFAO!!! amen to THAT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">