• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cocaine Seizures by Customs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

I'm only trying to help. I thought that's what this forum was for? And he's obviously aware that I'm seeking advice.
If you want to help give him some $$ for a good attorney. Posting his crime on the net is not helpful and could be used by Law Enforcement if found.

quincy

I'm only trying to help. I thought that's what this forum was for? And he's obviously aware that I'm seeking advice.
It is fine to seek information for friends as long as the information-gathering does not compromise the friends' legal positions.

The most important information to pass on to your friend is that he should exercise his right to remain silent if questioned by law enforcement and he should get an attorney if charged with a crime.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Not trafficking (a 1st degree felony in Florida). That would be possible if your friend possessed 28 or more grams of cocaine. With 4 grams, he potentially could be charged with a 3rd degree felony.
Well, the feds wouldn't prosecute for a violation of Florida law in the first place. Under federal law, 21 U.S.C. § 952 makes it illegal to import any controlled substance except to the extent is has been approved by the Attorney General in certain circumstances as “necessary to provide for medical, scientific, or other legitimate purposes”. The penalty for such importation is potentially severe. Under 21 U.S.C. § 960(b)(3), a first offense for importation of any amount of cocaine can result in up to 20 years in federal prison, a fine up to the greater of $1 million dollars or the amount provided for in Title 18, or both prison and a fine. This gives a judge a very wide range to work with. While a judge isn't likely to whack him with 20 years for this small purchase, he could easily see some prison time for this if convicted. Had the amount of coke been significantly larger he could have faced up to 40 years in prison or even life. Illegal importation of a controlled substance is a big deal. This could turn out to be a huge mistake by your friend.

quincy

Well, the feds wouldn't prosecute for a violation of Florida law in the first place. Under federal law, 21 U.S.C. § 952 makes it illegal to import any controlled substance except to the extent is has been approved by the Attorney General in certain circumstances as “necessary to provide for medical, scientific, or other legitimate purposes”. The penalty for such importation is potentially severe. Under 21 U.S.C. § 960(b)(3), a first offense for importation of any amount of cocaine can result in up to 20 years in federal prison, a fine up to the greater of $1 million dollars or the amount provided for in Title 18, or both prison and a fine. This gives a judge a very wide range to work with. While a judge isn't likely to whack him with 20 years for this small purchase, he could easily see some prison time for this if convicted. Had the amount of coke been significantly larger he could have faced up to 40 years in prison or even life. Illegal importation of a controlled substance is a big deal. This could turn out to be a huge mistake by your friend.
Yes. The friend needs to get an attorney if questioned. Sending illegal drugs to himself was not very smart.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
And he's obviously aware that I'm seeking advice.
That's far from obvious.

It's all your friend's business not yours. In case you haven't realized it your friend is stupid and if I was you I would keep quite a long distance away from him.

quincy

It might be important for xxatti to know that he can be called as a witness against his friend. Anything the friend tells xxatti can be used against him

It is best if the friend says nothing to anyone but his attorney.

xxatti, have your friend view the YouTube video "Don't Talk to the Police."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">