• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

COVID Vaccine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Because no-one knows the side effects going forward. I don't ever take the flu shot... I am 58 y/o. As for the COVID shot, we might see an advertisement in a few years... If you took covid vaccine between 2020 and 2021 and have suffered serious side effects, you might be entitled to compensation, please call XYZ... 80% of the population needs to get vaccinated and you got herd immunity... I'll wait for that and i will wait to see how these people did and if they suffered any serious side effects, which must get reported. I will NOT be a guinea pig... I can change my mind down the road.
My mother made a similar decision, only hers was to wait for a few months to see how things go. However, there is a huge difference between you and my mother. My mother is 85 and almost never leaves the house. My mother doesn't work in a nursing home where the most vulnerable members of society live. You may have to choose between your stance on the issue or your job.

I also suspect that a nursing home staff members getting terminated for refusing to get vaccinated could be considered a termination for cause that would make it difficult for you to collect unemployment.

quincy

Because no-one knows the side effects going forward. I don't ever take the flu shot... I am 58 y/o. As for the COVID shot, we might see an advertisement in a few years... If you took covid vaccine between 2020 and 2021 and have suffered serious side effects, you might be entitled to compensation, please call XYZ... 80% of the population needs to get vaccinated and you got herd immunity... I'll wait for that and i will wait to see how these people did and if they suffered any serious side effects, which must get reported. I will NOT be a guinea pig... I can change my mind down the road.
Thank you for answering my question, 123sunshine. I actually think your concern is a legitimate one.

Because a speedy vaccine was necessary to stop the spread of the virus and the deaths from it, there has not been time to study its long range side effects. We only know that, short term, the virus is deadly and the short term effects of the vaccine aren’t.

That said, your employer has his own concerns - not only the spread of the virus to a vulnerable population but also lawsuits should the employer not enforce Covid protections.

The best protection available so far is the vaccine, followed by masks, social distancing and hand washing (which should continue even after being vaccinated).

Last edited:

123sunshine

I work in a health care capacity (-ish), and am adamantly against the vaccine.

However, the reason for that is that there is zero evidence to-date that the vaccine does any more than prevent symptoms (which is great if you're compromised and severe symptoms will threaten your life). There is no evidence that it prevents me from transmitting COVID, and it will dampen the symptoms so I won't even know I'm contagious. I'm not liking that at all, and don't think it's worth it at this time.

Also, all of my medics and Chief have had horrible side effects. If you DO get the vaccine, PLEASE have someone else drive you home!
You are correct with the way the vaccine works. Someone who gets the shot can still get the virus. You just don't get the symptoms and....... you can still pass it on to someone. I know someone who is on the phone with health organizations all the time and this is what was told to him.

quincy

You are correct with the way the vaccine works. Someone who gets the shot can still get the virus. You just don't get the symptoms and....... you can still pass it on to someone. I know someone who is on the phone with health organizations all the time and this is what was told to him.
The vaccine itself is not made from the virus so from that perspective it is safe. But you can still contract or transmit the virus until you have received the second dose. For that reason, you still need to take the other precautions.

The bottom line for you is that, if you decide against vaccinating, you can be fired. And it would be legal.

123sunshine

Thank you for answering my question, 123sunshine. I actually think your concern is a legitimate one.

Because a speedy vaccine was necessary to stop the spread of the virus and the deaths from it, there has not been time to study its long range side effects. We only know that, short term, the virus is deadly and the short term effects of the virus aren’t.

That said, your employer has his own concerns - not only the spread of the virus to a vulnerable population but also lawsuits should the employer not enforce Covid protections.

The best protection available so far is the vaccine, followed by masks, social distancing and hand washing (which should continue even after being vaccinated).
t
The vaccine itself is not made from the virus so from that perspective it is safe. But you can still contract or transmit the virus until you have received the second dose. For that reason, you still need to take the other precautions.

The bottom line for you is that, if you decide against vaccinating, you can be fired. And it would be legal.
I believe that even after the 2nd dose, you can still contract/spread the virus.. You're just protected at higher percentage rate.

adjusterjack

I also suspect that a nursing home staff members getting terminated for refusing to get vaccinated could be considered a termination for cause that would make it difficult for you to collect unemployment.
All terminations are terminations for some cause or other. It's a termination for "misconduct" that makes an employee ineligible for unemployment compensation for 5 weeks in New Jersey.

See NJSA 43:21-5

(b) For the week in which the individual has been suspended or discharged for misconduct connected with the work, and for the five weeks which immediately follow that week, as determined in each case.

"Misconduct" means conduct which is improper, intentional, connected with the individual's work, within the individual's control, not a good faith error of judgment or discretion, and is either a deliberate refusal, without good cause, to comply with the employer's lawful and reasonable rules made known to the employee or a deliberate disregard of standards of behavior the employer has a reasonable right to expect, including reasonable safety standards and reasonable standards for a workplace free of drug and substance abuse.

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2019/title-43/section-43-21-5/

Whether or not a refusal to get vaccinated, for personal reasons, rises to the level of "misconduct" is something that NJ (and other state) courts may have to wrestle with at some point.

quincy

All terminations are terminations for some cause or other. It's a termination for "misconduct" that makes an employee ineligible for unemployment compensation for 5 weeks in New Jersey.

See NJSA 43:21-5

(b) For the week in which the individual has been suspended or discharged for misconduct connected with the work, and for the five weeks which immediately follow that week, as determined in each case.

"Misconduct" means conduct which is improper, intentional, connected with the individual's work, within the individual's control, not a good faith error of judgment or discretion, and is either a deliberate refusal, without good cause, to comply with the employer's lawful and reasonable rules made known to the employee or a deliberate disregard of standards of behavior the employer has a reasonable right to expect, including reasonable safety standards and reasonable standards for a workplace free of drug and substance abuse.

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2019/title-43/section-43-21-5/

Whether or not a refusal to get vaccinated, for personal reasons, rises to the level of "misconduct" is something that NJ (and other state) courts may have to wrestle with at some point.
My feeling is that requiring employees who work in an assisted living/care home get vaccinated for a deadly virus would definitely meet the definition of a “reasonable safety standard.” It would be interesting to see a court’s take on it, though.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I work for the oldest university in the US, which is also one of the most notable universities in the world. Our medical school and our school of public health have been widely involved in the work against the Covid virus and the studies of the vaccine. As long as they, who have first hand, hands-on information of the effects of the vaccine, tell me it's safe, I have no reason to disbelieve them.

quincy

I work for the oldest university in the US, which is also one of the most notable universities in the world. Our medical school and our school of public health have been widely involved in the work against the Covid virus and the studies of the vaccine. As long as they, who have first hand, hands-on information of the effects of the vaccine, tell me it's safe, I have no reason to disbelieve them.
Consulting with one’s own physician can be important, too (assuming one’s physician is a (wo)man of science).

FarmerJ

Coming from a group home staff person , first One man ( Ron) with many health issues has already passed away (he was resident of one of the homes i have worked in , I have already been exposed to covid, tested positive, had my time off to get better (symptom free) and have been back at work now for just over 6 weeks, my guess is that my other half got it from me, As to where I got it , who knows , we had more than one staff in the home normally work at that also worked with Ron since we have a ongoing problem with lack of staff bodies even after they raised the start wage. Some of the staff I have worked with believe they have already had it and kept working anyway and never reported it , especially several of the new hires. On Friday the 22 I had the vacination shot. Minor stiffness at the site and its feeling fine now. AS to your employer mandating the shot , I can only tell you that unless there are a whole crapload of people out there beating a path to your facility looking for work your employer could be trying to coerce you into compliance FOR NOW. In the future your employer may still require the shot especially if they decide to make examples of some of you. NOW if your employer already knew you were a member of a religious organization that was known to decline vaccinations or certain medical things you might have some ground to fight . BUT eventually that still could be a losing battle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">