• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did I miss proof??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sitrokn

What is the name of state? CA. Hey. For the city I live in I have called every other week to see if the city uses red light cameras. They said yes at first but I called again to see how I can find out. I kind of got caught but what didn't pin me as the main guy is that I don't call weekly. They said I won't get a ticket but I missed being able to record it on my phone; my phone would have shown the date. IF I was to record, how much would this have helped me? I'd like to keep some kind of record when I can for conversations. What scares me is that police can lie to you and while they may not have been police, that may have been part of the area. How likely is it do you think they lied?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of state? CA. Hey. For the city I live in I have called every other week to see if the city uses red light cameras. They said yes at first but I called again to see how I can find out. I kind of got caught but what didn't pin me as the main guy is that I don't call weekly. They said I won't get a ticket but I missed being able to record it on my phone; my phone would have shown the date. IF I was to record, how much would this have helped me? I'd like to keep some kind of record when I can for conversations. What scares me is that police can lie to you and while they may not have been police, that may have been part of the area. How likely is it do you think they lied?
Considering that it's a crime in California to record a telephone conversation without the consent of all parties involved, I'd say that you dodged a bullet.

There's no way we can guess if "they" lied.

Vjoey9229

Considering that it's a crime in California to record a telephone conversation without the consent of all parties involved, I'd say that you dodged a bullet.

Wait to be clear let’s say I was talking on the phone and was recording with my other phone. That’s illegal??

Zigner

Wait to be clear let’s say I was talking on the phone and was recording with my other phone. That’s illegal??
Yes, that's a crime. It can rise to the level of a felony:

https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-code/pen-sect-632.html

(a) A person who, intentionally and without the consent of all parties to a confidential communication, uses an electronic amplifying or recording device to eavesdrop upon or record the confidential communication, whether the communication is carried on among the parties in the presence of one another or by means of a telegraph, telephone, or other device, except a radio, shall be punished by a fine not exceeding two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500) per violation, or imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or in the state prison, or by both that fine and imprisonment.  If the person has previously been convicted of a violation of this section or Section 631 , 632.5 , 632.6 , 632.7 , or 636 , the person shall be punished by a fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars ($10,000) per violation, by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or in the state prison, or by both that fine and imprisonment.

sitrokn

(a) A person who, intentionally and without the consent of all parties to a confidential communication, uses an electronic amplifying or recording device to eavesdrop upon or record the confidential communication, whether the communication is carried on among the parties in the presence of one another or by means of a telegraph, telephone, or other device, except a radio, shall be punished by a fine not exceeding two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500) per violation, or imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or in the state prison, or by both that fine and imprisonment.  If the person has previously been convicted of a violation of this section or Section 631 , 632.5 , 632.6 , 632.7 , or 636 , the person shall be punished by a fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars ($10,000) per violation, by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or in the state prison, or by both that fine and imprisonment.
Oh. Now to be clear does this include recording a person to person conversation too? Like if I wanted to record someone saying words to expose their
"true colors?" btw I am NOT saying anyone lied; I'm just saying that it's scary that it's possible.

sitrokn

Thus just wondering. I am supposed to receive a letter by 15 days after if I ran a light. If I don't reply back to it, won't I get another letter after another 15 days?? So far I've not received anything but I just want to be clear.

FlyingRon

Oh. Now to be clear does this include recording a person to person conversation too? Like if I wanted to record someone saying words to expose their
"true colors?" btw I am NOT saying anyone lied; I'm just saying that it's scary that it's possible.
You can not in the state of California record a conversation without consent of all parties. It matters not what your motivations are. In fact, it doesn't even need to be on the phone.

sitrokn

Other question: Wait so for the registered owner, would it be sent to the address based on my registration (wrong address I'm mailing to fix) or my driver kicense number. They'll have to run my license and it would show my license plate with correct address as the owner. I read what you said. I just want to be clear I understood it right so please answer a final time and I'll never post on this site again: you said it's sent to the owner of the vehicle. Will the address be based on my driver license address or license plate address?

Zigner

Other question: Wait so for the registered owner, would it be sent to the address based on my registration (wrong address I'm mailing to fix) or my driver kicense number. They'll have to run my license and it would show my license plate with correct address as the owner. I read what you said. I just want to be clear I understood it right so please answer a final time and I'll never post on this site again: you said it's sent to the owner of the vehicle. Will the address be based on my driver license address or license plate address?
I said that it's sent to the registered owner at the address that the car is registered at.

Zigner

For others who may be confused - the OP started another thread and was asked to continue here so that everything stays in the same thread.

CdwJava

You can not in the state of California record a conversation without consent of all parties. It matters not what your motivations are. In fact, it doesn't even need to be on the phone.
If the R/P called the police department, it was almost certainly on a recorded line. Often this is verified by a background tone.

CdwJava

If you run a red light and it is captured via camera, a technician and/or an officer will attempt to identify the driver (you). If you are identified, a CITATION (notice to appear) will be sent to the address on your license. If you were not identified, then a notice requesting the registered owner identify the driver (NOT a citation) will be sent to the address of the registered owner of the vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">