• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PamA1962

EEOC is not going to be involved in a union issue. It is NOT discrimination.

You have little recourse if you don't like the way the union is representing you other than to get more involved in the union. The NMB is there to rule about issues between the workers (as represented by the union) and the company.

Yes, Have reached out to the NMB and emailed them and filled a claim, I called them today and left a message. I am hoping they reply. My apologies Ron if you thought I was saying age or race... I am sorry I did not clarify ... thank you for your help I am most appreciative!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
But in that case, it was the RACIAL issue that was discriminatory. Not the seniority system itself. RACE is a protected category under the law. Seniority is not.

PamA1962

Disability Discrimination & Work Situations
The law forbids discrimination when it comes to any aspect of employment, including hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, layoff, training, fringe benefits, and any other term or condition of employment.

PamA1962

I also found this information which then this would cause another question..

Under the ADA, an employer is allowed to refuse to hire or to prevent from working any individual who poses a direct threat to the health or safety of themselves or others. A direct threat means a significant risk of substantial harm. Employers have legitimate concerns about maintaining a safe workplace for all employees and members of the public. In some instances, employers may determine that the nature of a particular person's disability may cause an unacceptable risk of harm and therefore they may prevent that person from working or require that person to take leave until the threat of harm no longer exists.

The determination that there is a direct threat must be based on objective evidence and reasonable medical judgment regarding an individual's current ability to perform essential functions of a job. It cannot be based on unfounded fears or generalizations. An employer cannot refuse to hire you because it would result in a slightly increased risk or because of fears that there might be a significant risk sometime in the future. The employer must also consider whether a risk can be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level with a reasonable accommodation.

ajkroy

As a union member for 14 years, I knew when I was hired that I was the lowest rung on the ladder. Years of service to the company means that seniors are granted more perks (often first to bid on shifts, first to claim vacation weeks, etc). The biggest reward is also knowing that layoffs and pay restructuring happen to the newer members first.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm not seeing discrimination on the basis of disability in any of your posts.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless you have a contract that expressly prohibits them doing such a thing, yes. They can.

PamA1962

Also, even if I continue on with my claim with EEOC, if I believe the company is trying to intimidate me, by requesting a meeting with me, can I record the conversation so I can refer to it later for reference with what is being discussed and why?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">